Next Iron Chef - Battle of the Divas, um, Super Chefs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Irvine, like Spike, was put in the competition just to ensure that none of the big names went home too early.

I was pretty happy with the top 3 and the bottom 3. Zakarian may be able to cook, but tonight's episode only reinforced my view that he's an arrogant a**. Brunch at the ballpark? Really? How many baseball games are held at 10am on Sunday? :rofl:

As an aside, I watched part of Chef Hunter, which came on immediately after tonight's episode. Is the female cheftestant also on Top Chef this season?

2. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm laughing at Food Network's FB page. People are all, "I'M NOT WATCHING ANYMORE! YOU GUYS SUCK!" :drama: Not like Irvine is a true great chef like the others, and hey, dude falsified everything about his resume, didn't he? So. There. HA.

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I'll have to catch this sometime this week, but i'm not surprised Irvine was sent home. I consider my mom to be a pretty sane person, but she was talking about writing complaints to FN when they originally took him off the air after his whole falsification scandal. She was thrilled when he came back. I kept saying "But he made EVERYTHING up..." and she'd say "Well I like him and I think he was doing a good job!" I think she just likes his giant muscle arms. Now she loves watching Restaurant Impossible. Sigh.

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I admit, I like Restaurant Impossible, but I like Kitchen Nightmares better. I was surprised that I liked the idea of Robert's dish more than Michael's, but I'm not surprised Robert went home.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the judges are "upset" with Marcus Samuelsson's giving them more than is required.
    Should he become Iron Chef, he'll need to challenge himself like that on every program.

6. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I'm not surprised they are upset.He's awesome but he has to follow the rules.
    Loved the idea of Chuck's tilapia"dog" I'll have to swipe that idea LOL

I still think Irvine is a good chef.The raw egg thing from the other guy was a bit much.That just screams ballpark lol

7. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Damn. Chuck went home!

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Very upset Chuck went home. I didn't expect him to win but I thought he would last a few more weeks. I can't remember his name, but the guy with the glasses is such a douche. He couldn't stop mentioning how Faulkner won because she is a pastry chef. Since when are malt balls pastry? Fish and chips? Ice cream? Get over it. He can go next, pompous ass.

9. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I want Chiarello to go. Ugh. What a dick, going on about how gummy candies aren't used by a chef of his caliber and all this other crap. It's a challenge, moron, stfu.

10. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

He was also incredibly arrogant and nasty on Top Chef Masters. He is not a nice man(understatement). I would love to see either Alex Guarnaschelli or Anne Burrell be the one to take the title. :D

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree... he really doth protest too much. Zakarian got over his red hots pretty quickly, as did the others.

12. skatesindreams

Some of the snack items were much more difficult to "manipulate" than others.
    Alex admitted that she gave Anne something she knew she could work with.

Sorry to see Chuck go, as well.
    I don't know how much longer Beau will last., though.

13. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:wuzrobbed for cutie Chef Hughes.

:cheer: for Elizabeth Faulkner though! Whee! :rollin:

14. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

B-b-b-but, she's a PASTRY chef! :lol:

15. ilovepaydays

Wow....Kevin Nealon's improv gives them octopus, tortillas, cumquats, and marshmallows and they have to make one dish with them....YUCK!!!

Apparently it takes 30 minutes to pressure cook an octopus and they have 45 minutes....I think it will come down how well that is prepared.

Really impressed with Chef Faulkner so far. I can't believe she used "marshmallow ash".....HA!

Can't believe Chiarello made a Marshmallow Aioli.....and he wins the challenge!

The more I see Food Network advertise Anne Burrell's "Cook Like a Rock Star" cookbook, the more I want to buy it. :)

So it is MacMillian vs. Zakarian for the pair off......secret ingredient is coconut! I think this is the easiest ingredient the showdown has had so far.

And MacMillian goes home! Really, he should have gone home last week.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I was expecting Beau to be one of the first to go. I also expected Alex to win the challenge. I really despise Chiarello.

17. jeffisjeff

So does Chef Falkner, apparently. :lol:

18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Me too and it's really sad because I used to love his Food Network show. The way he treated the former Top Chef contestants on Top Chef Masters made me never want to watch him on any other series. I sure hope he doesn't win this because I do not want to watch him on Iron Chef America.

19. ilovepaydays

Well, they are both from the San Francisco area - any :sekret: on a feud?

My guess is that Chiarello didn't win anyway - especially aftter this Facebook post. Looks like he is getting another show.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  20. skatesindreams

That was a challenging group of ingredients.
    Apparently, some remarkable dishes were made with them.
    Beau's doesn't seem to have been one of them.
    That would give the judges a "tipping point", if they needed/wanted to use it.

Could Chiarello's "issue" be with female chefs, in general; not just Falkner?

21. ilovepaydays

That would be weird - his youngest daughter just started studying at the CIA.

I am rooting for either Elizabeth Faulkner or Anne Burrell to win this. I think they both have the creativity to win this.

22. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree. There is a five letter word that I would apply to him but I'll be a lady and won't "say" it. I would love either Alex Guarnaschelli or Anne Burrell to win. I love them both to pieces. :)

23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

So far, none of the men have done enough humorous communicating during the cooking to warrant IC status. I think this will be an all female final unless one of the men suddenly acquires a TV persona.

24. ilovepaydays

So the chefs prepared a dish based on a NYC landmark. Thought that Chiarello gave Faulkner a gift by taking her Empire State Building and having her get the Brooklyn Bridge.

Chiarello's dish looked a little blah but I have never had rabbit. Is it tasty?

Burrell totally deserved to win with those cornish hens and fried chicken livers. Guarnaschelli looked like she would rather be somewhere else.

Whoa - it was Faulkner and Samuelsson in the final two for the challenge! Really - Zakarian needs to go. His dishes looked like a hot mess - I would have been confused as to what was even on the plate. I thought Faulkner's pork schnitzel with apples looked great! Too bad they didn't like her story.

Secret ingredient was bagels - Faulkner's "Bagel with the Works" was GENIUS. It looks like she has done the best job of any contestant with making ice cream so far. Samuelsson's Lox with Gazpacho looked blah to me.

And Samuelsson goes home. WHEW!!!!

At the end the chef talk about their rivalries. The "She's a chef, a pastry chef, and a baker - how does she do that?" comment that Zakarian made about Faulkner was jerkish to me.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  25. jeffisjeff

That didn't bother me, but I wasn't so happy with his repeated use of the term "girls" when referring to the remaining 3 female chefs.

I was surprised to see Falkner in the bottom two. It seems they loved her food, but hated her story. I agree that the story was really poorly presented (despite the judges trying to coax it out of her :lol:), but since when is that more important than taste?

I caught a few minutes of ICA tonight. I guess I haven't watched in a while, but is Iron Chef Cora gone? If so then (1) good, she was weak and (2) they are definitely looking for a new female Iron Chef. The fix is in for the girls ladies. ;)

26. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Yeah, Cora is leaving because she wants to deal with her restaurants and stuff, from what I heard.

:cheer2: for Anne!

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It simply must be Anne. I will be so upset if anyone else wins, even thought I like all the female chefs. The only man left that I could deal with was Samuelson and now he is gone. Anne all the way!!

28. skatesindreams

Sorry that Samuelsson is gone, as he had a diverse background and mastery of styles that would have made a great Iron Chef.

Not many bakers/pastry chefs are equally comfortable with savory dishes.
    It's a common view, even among chefs; so Zakarian's comment doesn't surprise me.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For those of you who really follow this sort of stuff, is Zakarian really that big of a prick, or does he just play one on TV?

30. skatesindreams

^^^
    He may seem so; but after you've seen him cook - and talk a little about his background (on the "Chopped" Charity series) - you understand more about why he behaves as he does.