Newsweeks "Diana at 50" cover

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jun 28, 2011.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I find the picture in very bad taste. Celebrate her life, write the article about what might have been, but leave off the cgi of Diana.

Newsweek Cover

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Twisted. Leave the poor woman alone already!

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It is creepy and doesn't look real at all. Very poor decision.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

So creepy and tacky and disrespectful. Jeez.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Will they ever leave her alone?

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The cover will definitely get people to pick it up in the store, so it'll serve its purpose.

It's weird, strange, but I really don't see how the cover is "disrespectful" to Diana.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

THE QUEEN KILLED HER!!!!

:D

P.S. The cover is extremely tacky and very desperate. Newsweek not selling well recently?

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Please tell me why Newsweek couldn't find someone who could make the eyes a whole lot less creepy. The image as a whole is disturbing -- and inappropriate -- but the eyes are just plain wrong.

And dragging Catherine into it just compounds the error. Nasty.

9. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

That's really tacky and just creepy, pairing it with that picture of Kate its like Kate is looking at her in conversation.

I agree barbk, they could have chosen a better picture and made it classy while celebrating her.

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i miss diana- kate is no diana and never will be- I just dont 'care' as mcuh about her as I did Diana . I feel like the public wants to like kate as the new diana so they are trying to make it happen..... I really missed her at the wedding- how sad for william not to have his mother there :(

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Diana died at age 36. What's the point in showing her at (imaginary) age 50? I find this in extremely poor taste.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

OK, I was freaked out by that picture. And then Vash said she died when she was 36. And now I'm freaked out more by that because she always seemed much older than me, but now I'm older than her. :scream:

13. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

If it were another less reputable and renowned publication, I wouldn't have batted an eye. But for Newsweek, this is bad.

Everything about the cover screams trashy tabloid. The Photoshop layout is horrendous. It looks like cardboard cutouts. And why give Kate equal space on the cover when it's about Diana? And what bugs me most of all is that the center of the photo isn't either Diana or Kate but rather a random bodyguard!

14. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Way tacky. It looks like a tabloid.

15. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Nice job, Newsweek. Piss off William before he sets foot in the US in a few weeks. Tacky.

16. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Newsweek has been Newsweak for years now. No surprise.

Doesn't look "real" or anything like Diana.

-Bridget

17. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Thankfully.

18. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Goes to show that even at 50, Diana is hotter than the average 30-year-old.

19. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

DIana at 50 series i don't mind, but i don't like, especially when the guy who is walking behind the ladies looks like Tony Abbott.

20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I love Kate, and I wish they'd just let her be herself instead of comparing her to Diana. I think she is NOTHING like Diana, and very lovely and unique in her own right. I greatly prefer Kate-no disrespect to Diana intended. I say leave them both the hell alone. Show us Kate's pretty dresses and follow her and William on tours of the world, and leave that poor, tragic woman alone.

I remember when Diana died, one of my girlfriends said, "Well, she will never age, she will never get old and ugly like the rest of us." Unfortunately, that's not true when you've got Photoshop and the kind of market that would buy this trash.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

You know how skating and Olympic media is always trying to create rivalries that don't actually exist? This takes the cake - to actually create a fake image of the two of them interacting, and place it on the cover, is the very opposite of journalism IMO. Shame, shame on Newsweek.

22. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It looks like they got a picture of Diana and merged it with one of Maggie Thatcher!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

She's dead. Leave her lie.

(And Newsweek, please join her. The print media is dying, please lead the charge.)

24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Creepy and tacky -- Newsweek in National Enquirer mode. Yuck!

25. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Seriously.

26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Me thinks Newsweek might have just lost any Accredidation (sp) for the Royal Visit. If they had any that is.

You know how low they've gone when they pull something like this. Tacky doesn't even come close to describing this move.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

There's a reason I haven't bothered to renew my Newsweek subscription. It's been deteriorating for some time now, and the takeover by Tina Brown hasn't improved it at all. Which isn't surprising.

28. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Unnecessary, and disturbing.

29. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Who came up with this terrible idea? The editorial honchos of a major news magazine couldn't see that it was just plain wrong?

Newsweek's readership is going to be outraged and someone's head is going to :rollin:

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

If they'd just done a headshot of her looking older, maybe it would have worked. But that particular pictures actually makes her look somewhat like a zombie, which I'm pretty sure was not the effect they were going for, and putting it into a shot with someone still alive ups the ickiness factor that much more.

This photo reminds me of the saying: just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.