News clip: Woman wakes up to find intruder in her bed

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fan123, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What's your opinion? Do you not believe the story because the victim and her brother were talking directly to the offender on TV, or something like that?

The victim's ghetto housing unity is certainly a sad slice of life and her brother is downright scary - but that doesn't make the offense any less egregious. At this point I assume the story is true.

3. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

No doubt the offense did occur, but I blame the editing to make the woman and particularly the brother to look like fools. The part about the need to hide your wife, kid, and HUSBAND is way too funny.

4. brina

brina Well-Known Member

5. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

I don't think editing really had anything to do with it. The brother, at least, seemed to be really aware that he was in front of the camera and was ready to put on a show. Which for my amusement, I thank him for that.

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh my God, that's actually catchy :rofl: Well done, video makers.

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

lol I posted the auto-tuned on my facebook the other day....several have reposted it already. this is definitely the biggest viral video in a while.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The editor didn't have to do anything. He didn't dice and splice the brother's spoken words. That's like blaming the editor for making Gibson or Baldwin look bad.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

There are a ton of Auto-Tune The News videos - they are awesome.

My sister sent me the original news clip last week, and it made me uncomfortable, like they were just letting this guy go batshit crazy on camera, but I appreciate the follow-up the news station did, where they say the family really wanted to do the story that way, and they show the brother (much calmer) kind of laughing at his new-found fame but reminding that something terrible almost happened to his sister.

11. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

Wow, even more funny than the two original news clips!

Not to take out the guilty pleasure of the news clips, they were obvious edited, lol. The questions from the interviewer seemed to be edited out.

Do you have the follow-up clips by the news station? Glad to know the woman and her brother are taking things lightly about their fame. The brother sure looks like Chris Rock!:lol:

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

When is attempted rape anything BUT one heck of a knee-slapper??!!

:rolleyes:

Don't y'all agree that it's so much funnier when it's silly black people being all...silly and...black???

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but the classist and racist undertones at play here disgust me.

13. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Did no one else catch that she (the victim) made some remark like she wasn't attacked just because she's pretty? OhhhhKayyy

14. genevieve

Sorry, I assumed the 2nd clip was the follow-up (I'm at work and can't watch videos). I'll try to find it when I get home if no one else posts it.

Peter - that's why I felt uncomfortable about it too. The follow up I'll try to find, the newscaster ends the segment saying that the station has gotten a lot of mail asking why they would let someone go on air like that, and that Antoine Dodson is making the community look bad etc...but she then reminds folks that the Dodson family was victimized here, and it would be worse to censor them (worse than letting them go on the air like they did, not worse than the attempted rape).

ETA: The original clip also reminded me of a skit I saw on In Living Color in 1990. The skit ws about a crime scene (mugging?) and a camera crew looking for witnesses to speak on air. All of the witnesses were black, and one by one they said something about their background, what they saw, etc. Most of them were professionally dressed, got a good view of what happened, were articulate about the crime...and the one guy who got put on the air was a total spaz who just wagged his fingers in the camera, gave shout outs to his pals and was a general doof.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Here's the follow-up video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qXIRaafAU

This is my town and Antoine is really not that out of the ordinary. I don't feel bad laughing at the original interview because he's funny, and not in a condescending "oh look at that ghetto black boy" way at all. He's a character and he's funny. I bet he's a great story teller. So, yes, the circumstances leading to the interview are frightening and I feel horrible for his sister, but I don't feel guilty for laughing when he says "he's climbing in yo windows, snatching yo people up. They raping everybody out here." because it's funny. I hope all these people selling t-shirts and shit send the family a little money though. They look like they could use it.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

He's an internet hero, and funny as hell. Not even the pro writers could come up with lines like, "he's climbin in your windows. he's snatchin your people up. tryna rape em so y'all need to hide your kids, hide your wife hide your kids and hide your husband cuz they're rapin errbody out here."

Antoine is brave, a bad ass...and he cares deeply for his sister. Many folks may laugh at him, because of his delivery, but if he has no issues with it, why should we? Seems like he's becoming the new William Hung, may possibly be laughing his way to the bank. :respec:

uyeahu, thanks for posting the 3rd news clip.

17. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I don't know... I don't really think they look like fools. They seem very angry and I wouldn't want to be that attacker if that family ever gets ahold of him. It looks like the brother is putting on a show on purpose and he seems like a real character, but not in a bad way. I think the woman is lucky to have a brother who jumped in to save her and has her back all the way.

18. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

Just to clarify, I too don't think the brother and her sister look like fools. The news anchor and reporter may look professional and serious with their delivery, but I bet you they had other intentions. My point is that folks in the edit newsroom tried to make them look like fools but backfired, cuz Antoine now seems to be coming out (no pun intended) on top with all the unfamiliar fame he's getting. At the end, it was a win-win situation for everyone. Antoine became an internet hero, the attacker got scared, and the local news station got free national promo.

19. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Oh, gotcha!! Sorry for the misunderstanding. :cool:

I bet you're right about the people in the editing room, too. I still wouldn't want to be that attacker!!!

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What would be the motive for the newsroom to do that? If they purposely tried to make the guy look like a fool then the station would get complaints of racism from all over.

I only saw the first clip of the brother speaking and there's no editing there. Yes, it's very un-PC to admit that the clip is somewhat funny, because of the way the brother talks and animate in front of the camera, but it is somewhat funny inspite of the serious nature of the potential crime. It's make people uncomfortable, because they know they shouldn't be cracking a smile.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If would be "funny" if a white, asian, or american indian guy, etc. was talking to the camera with the same voice and mannerisms that the brother was doing in the video. Let not pull the race card where it's not deserved.

22. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

The motive is to garner more viewers to their own local news channel, which they have succeeded. They already have gotten complaints of racism and classism, even some from the local community.

The editing part comes from interview questions that may have been edited out. Notice the brother starts out by saying this, "Well, obviously we have a rapist in Lincoln Park..." Where was the question that came with this statement? Why was he asked to face the camera? I wouldn't be surprised if the interviewer baited him throughout. Why was the crime scene investigator not interviewed? Could that part be edited out too? BTW, why did he not use gloves when collecting fingerprints of the intruder?! LOL. Perhaps he did, and that was edited out too? The whole interview, especially in the 1st news clip was too choppy with lots of interruptions, agree? I bet the edit newsroom folks left out certain parts, and kept the "funny" parts to show the viewers. If you ever follow any "reality" shows, it's the same thing.

I'm glad the woman was not hurt afterall. Thank goodness for Antoine, you go boy!:lol: He should be applauded for his bravery and entertainment.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Best interview ever. LOVED that. So refreshing!

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

26. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

First of all, it was a remote clip so it was probably edited in the field without enough time or consideration about racism or classism. The reporter was sent with a camera person and captured as much raw footage as could be gotten in the amount of time that was available before it had to be shown.

Such packages rarely include the reporter asking questions. Believe me they may ask 10 or 12 questions and only get a few seconds of usable footage. "How did you feel when you heard the commotion?" Answer, "scared." You can't use that at all. It is too short and out of context when putting the package together.

As for him looking at the camera, the majority of people try to do that. Even though you're supposed to look at the reporter, many ignore that and turn to face the camera. When I interned for a local station, I couldn't count the number of people who had to be told over and over to look at the interviewer. Sometimes their best sound bytes were those that had them looking at the camera. That is unfortunate, but true.

We don't know what the other raw footage was like. The guy could have been using words not allowed on television, making threats that would have gotten him or the station in trouble, or a multitude of other things. Neighbors were around and could have been shouting their own opinions, jumping in front of the camera, etc. My first broadcast day at my internship had a what would have been a great quote and sound byte for the camera. When we had it, the reporter was so excited and so was the camera man. Then we got back to the truck. In reviewing the footage, yes that was a great sound byte and the witness looked credible, etc. But there were two guys in the window behind the witness shooting the bird toward the camera. Yes, we could have blurred it out if we'd had time, but the decision to go with another interview answer was made.

When you are sent out in the field to do a story, you have several check list items you need to get. 1. The victim on camera. 2. Any witness on camera. 3. An official from the police, etc. (see below) and 4. footage of the area, including the crime scene itself. The earlier it is in the incident the harder it is to get the third and fourth items.

As for the crime scene investigator, most of them work for departments that have designated PIOs or Public Information Officers. They are told not to give statements or interviews until that PIO has approved it. The reason being that if he said anything wrong, the attempted rapist could use that in court. A prime example is the Atlanta Olympic Bombing case. The security guy that they investigated won a civil partially because the Atlanta Journal and Constitution indirectly quoted an official who was not authorized to speak to the media. Not only did they refer to him as an official source, the information this guy provided was wrong. I believe he said Jewell fit the profile they were using. Turns out that no profile had even been developed yet.

It is a lesson to anyone that reporters and television news (print media editors too) are not out there to make you look good or bad. You do it to yourself. They want the story and if you hand them a hot mess, they probably will use it because that is what they have to use. If you are worried about how you'll come off, don't do the interview. The thing is most people will jump at the chance to do one when asked. They may say no when asked hypothetically, but pull out a camera and microphone and they don't run away.

27. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

28. genevieve

29. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The media is milking the story partly because Antoine commands an audience - but I find the idea of him being anyone's hero a bit scary. He's really high-wired and edgy. What appears as charm (to some) and a protective urge on the news could easily turn into an ugly temper.