News and updates à la Française

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cholla, Oct 7, 2012.

1. marysy

marysy Active Member

Well, I also got the impression that she was saying that because she knew he wouldn't be pursuing pairs as seriously as singles, that he wasn't aiming to be Olympic or World champion in the discipline, simply to gain some experience and compete a bit. That, along with not doing quads and 3As everyday, would be a little easier physically. Brian himself has always talked about pairs skaters with a lot of respect. He has also said that when he was younger, he didn't think he had the personality for it, since one's success depends so much on another person and he wouldn't have been able to handle it if his partner messed up.

I'd be curious to see how he does with the pair elements - lifts, twists, throws. That article posted above said he was working on lifts with Daria - any photos/videos out there?

ETA: Not sure if this has been posted before, but there's some footage of Popova and Joubert doing a lift on the floor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw15X6AVky4

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

any news on silethe btw?
    will sje ever be back in competition?
    i enjoyed her so much more than meite :(

3. Nours

Nours Active Member

I was talking about Yamaguchi and Waggenhoffer as I wrote. I know their career, thanks :)

Yes it's long ago but it still shows single and pairs can be learn by the same person.
    Yes it's not the same as Joubert's situation, but his experience won't be useless if he really goes on with pairs skating.

James also was a single skater, she won the last british title Jenna didn't enter/win since 2002 or so (feel free to correct).

4. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Speaking of James... any news/ updates on James/Cipres?

5. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

They've been in New York working on new programs with Line Haddad (former pairs skater) and Orlando Reyes (Argentine Tango dancer).

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

People have different aims.

Joubert kept competing in singles even though, by his own admission, he was aware he wasn't able to keep up any more and did not have the technical content to aim for championship medals.

With his pairs career, all he is saying is that he wants some pairs experience so that he can coach pairs as well. It's not like he is saying he is aiming for an Olympic gold medal.

7. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Many thanks for the info!!

8. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I know. I think my beef with this type of career move is that many years down the road, when no one remembers the context and details that surround one's late career decisions, there will be people who look at his competitive record and think this was a botched attempt when in fact he was meeting his goals. But I'm an advocate of quitting while you're winning for this very reason, it's just that as an anthropologist I look for the context of the situations and for that very reason I know very well that they often get lost in time.

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I posted about that earlier in the thread - the most recent news I have is that she was in a show a couple of months ago.

I don't see how Joubert is responsible for how some people might interpret his possible pairs career many years from now. It's certainly not a good reason not to give it a shot.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  10. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

http://instagram.com/p/pEtcktNlYc/

Tiffany Zahorski finally has a new partner! :cheer: She's teamed up with Jonathan Guerreio & they are training in Moscow. I wonder which country they will represent? In terms of getting to Euros & Worlds you would think they'd have a better chance in France, but it's easier for Tiffany to change countries than for him as she hasn't competed since Euros 2012.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

^^^ Glad for both of them!

Pushkash/Guerreiro's ISU bio (they placed 8th at Russian Nationals & competed in 3 Senior B comps this past season): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012080.htm
    P/G's last international ended on Jan. 10, 2014: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1314/MNNTC14/CAT011RS.HTM

ETA from the Russian news thread:
    Anyone have an update on whether or not Lorenz/Miart are training together? The following was posted on March 17 in this thread:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  12. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

They could skate for England, Australia, Russia, France, AZE....:) Hope to see them on the ice asap.

13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

He is not responsible for it obviously, it's just something that bothers me, hopefully history will be kind to him or you'll see me as an old lady writing angry letters/emails/whatever-goes-then to set the record straight with whoever tells the story wrong.

Great news for Tiffany!

14. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Wonderful! :cheer:

15. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Great news for Tiffany! They should come and skate for Team GB :)

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

P&G last competed at Mentor Nestle Torun Cup 2014, around Jan. 11th.

17. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I am so happy for Tiff ! Let's hope this one treats her well. Or I'll be mad.
    I hope they would skate for France, but I doubt it can happen :(

18. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Why not? The Rus Fed released Riazanova, didnt they? And R/T had much better results than P/G ever did.

Im very hopeful for this team. I liked R/G as a junior couple very much. I hope with Zahorski, Guerreiro will finally start living up to his potential. Who will be training them. Does anybody know?

Another benefit of skating for France is they'll probably be sent to Sphilband, which will be great for them.

19. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

Excited to see them together. Glad she's back on the ice with a partner.

20. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

The candidates for the election as president of the french federation are :
    - Didier Gailhaguet
    - Marie-Reine Le Gougne
    - Gwendal Peizerat

The election will be next Saturday, June 21st.

21. Sylvia

22. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

23. Sylvia

MarieM posted in the Russian news thread that Romain "Haguenauer is also leaving France for Canada" - is it known where in Canada he will be coaching?

Also from the Russian news thread:

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Hard to imagine anywhere but with Dubreuil/Lauzon, since they trained with Zazoui and Haguenauer last, and they've got a growing rink.

25. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

hagenauer is leaving zazoui?
    when did this happen? what have i missed

26. MarieM

I think all promising french coach are leaving because Didier got reelected. And that's just the beginning.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Would Zazoui and Schoenfelder ever consider leaving France? Is the company for which Schoenfelder's wife works a multi-national, where she could get a transfer were they to leave?

28. MarieM

Don't know but if you want to suceed, either you play by his rules and bow down (and let him tear all the clubs apart, making sure NO promising skater can rise to the top) or you're toast. Take your pick.

29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The most important question, does this mean more Olivier Schoenfelder sightings in the Kiss and Cry??? :D

30. Sylvia

Confirming kwanfan1818's post #444 above - this was posted on International Figure Skating's FB page today: http://www.Facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152995542037538&id=278550292537
    ETA that the following was posted on 6/24/14 in the Canadian Pairs news thread:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014