News and updates à la Française

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cholla, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good news. Do you know who Sean Chessman is?

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I hope that it's true, and that the three of them will manage to wean Amodio of his fondness for tacky displays and steer him in a suitably voidy direction.

3. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I love the term suitably voidy, and I think I get your meaning, Zemgirl. All the best to Amodio!

4. morqet

morqet Active Member

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  5. Zemgirl

In addition to what morqet wrote, I think he also worked on Art on Ice this year.

Definitely, he has so much potential that could still be realized!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Amodio is a fantastic performer with great charisma and confidence on the ice and I hope that between uber voidy Bourzat and an 'outside eye' of Cheesman, we are going to see something awesome from his next season.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Florent or Fabian must have met Cheesman through Art On Ice. He has a very impressive resume. Obviously, he did very interesting choreos for so you think you can dance.

8. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

9. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Oh I remember that program ! :) I loved it at the time :)

10. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

11. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

in an interview brian joubert is decided to compete in pairs
    he is going to look for a partner outside france someone experienced in pair
    so that he'll learn quicker and even said that he could try to go for the next olympic

12. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

it's on the french fs facebook page

13. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

thanks! nice interview indeed.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks for posting this interview with Mama Joubert!

Is it this interview or another one? http://www.saint-lo.maville.com/act...-d-un-nouveau-grand-saut_fil-2555936_actu.Htm

15. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

yes it's this one

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Wow, go Brian. Too bad he didn't start a couple of years earlier.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Does this mean he's willing to leave home? Maybe he and Gerboldt could team up and skate in Montreal with Gauthier and Marcotte, if he wants to be in a French-speaking land. (Were he willing to move to Moscow like P/B they could train with Vasiliev, and Gerboldt said recently she's got all her jumps back plus a 3/3.) He's said he wants Pairs experience for when he goes into coaching, and learning from a master coach would be ideal.

To get an experienced Pairs woman to move to him, though. Maybe it will be one of the few times the man gives the woman the free ride, plus Mama Joubert will cook for her.

18. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

but will russian fed release gerbolt ?

19. Zemgirl

Gerboldt is probably too tall for Joubert. He's 1.79m and has had back problems, so I imagine it would be difficult for him to do pairs elements unless his partner is relatively petite.

If he's serious about this and is aiming for the Olympics (which I find unrealistic, but who knows?) then he'll have to find someone who is either French or can become French relatively quicly.

20. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

could be good cause she said that everyone suggested her joubert when she said she could go for a non russian partner

21. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

so who is free have pair experience and is relatively petite ?

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I misread Gerboldt's height on her ISU bio: it's 163, not 153.

It looks like Iliushechkina is pairing with Moscovitch. Too late for Joubert: she is listed at 153cm, and she already was in France to skate with Kocon. Russia needs a lot of GP spots this season, especially if the age rules don't change back, and I wasn't kidding when I suggested that the French Fed pack TEB with the max number of Russian skaters in each discipline in exchange for releasing a skater to France.

23. nicolas23

nicolas23 New Member

not a bad idea

24. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

When the Jouberts talk about pairs skating as if it was that thing that skaters do when they can't handle singles anymore it makes me want to pull my hairs out! Sure it's not as demanding on jumps, but do they think the pairs elements are not hard on the body? Not to mention that there's another person there who can get hurt... seriously, skaters who want to retired should do shows not pairs. I'd suggest finding proper management too, it'd give Mrs. J more time to cook and iron I suppose. :rolleyes:

25. Nours

Nours Active Member

Or he can do whatever he wants...

Historically, a lot of single skaters were also pairs skaters. Waggenhoffer/Yamaguchi are the last I can remember from a quick memory check but at the nationals level there's still plenty. It isn't the same as starting early sure but I don't think it's impossible. Anyway, he just wants to learn and possibly do some competitions (IMO) : the goal wouldn't be the olympic title I guess.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think you mean Yamaguchi/Galindo, who both competed in singles and pairs until dropping pairs and continuing as singles skaters. Robert Wagonhoffer did also skate both. Then there is Ken Shelley, who not only skated both but finished 7th in singles and bronze in pairs at the same Worlds.

Still those examples were all from many years ago and none of them turned to pairs late in their careers. I can't think of anyone with a career path similar to Joubert, who competed elite singles for over a decade, then took up pairs.

27. Zemgirl

I never got the impression that (Brian) Joubert doesn't think highly of pairs skaters. He's been saying for a long time that he wants to try it and more recently, that he wants pairs experience in order to some day coach pairs. Seems pretty reasonable to me, and I doubt he's aiming for any major medals.

The only thing I saw on the subject in Raymonde Joubert's interview is that she thinks he should have done it earlier, and that at age 29 he definitely can't continue in singles. It's not exactly breaking news that pairs skaters often manage longer careers, and that not having to do the more difficult jumps is easier on the body. Obviously there are other challenges, but I don't think either Joubert suggested otherwise.

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It's not on the same scale comparatively as Joubert, but Stefania Berton had a good 5 or 6 seasons as an international singles skater with no previous pairs experience (though wiki says she competed nationally as a novice in Ice Dance), who then switched to pairs, but she was still only 18 or 19 years old.

29. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Pairs skaters do manage longer careers but I don't recall any who has started the discipline after a long career in singles, that's where the big difference is. Of course if it's just an experiment it should be fine, but when Raymonde said ""If you want, you can continue in pairs, but not in singles. You are 29 years old and you have to stop now." it gave me the impression that she sees pairs as a lighter alternative to compete in and end his career, the same way European soccer players go play in the US at the end of their careers... I honestly don't see the point of it, except for him to get coaching experience, but it's not my body...

30. Zemgirl

I think she knows that his body can't take more quads and 3As, and that skating programs with fewer spins would also do him good. Also that it's something he's been wanting to do for the past decade at least.

As for discipline switches, it's true that it's usually done earlier - the only recent examples I can think of are Fedor Andreev and Alper Ucar going from singles to ice dance, Ucar in his mid twenties and Andreev in his late twenties. A number of Canadian skaters did both (or singles & dance), at least at the national level, well into their careers. Of course the skill set required for singles vs. pairs vs. ice dance is quite different. If Joubert had said he wanted to aim for podium finishes, or that he was going to try ice dance, then I'd be skeptical. But wanting to try to compete in pairs, he might as well give it a shot if that's something he's always wanted to do.