News and updates à la Française

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cholla, Oct 7, 2012.

1. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

From last thread :

(Re P/B)
    Like Skatak, I haven't noticed any desynchronization when watching them live but I have to watch the videos now. Their programs, especially the FD, still needs work, and they are well aware of that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This is such a rough season: while they don't have to be worried about earning spots for France for the Olympics, since there's no third team right for whom it would be a shame if they missed out in 2014, everything skaters do this year is scrutinized and analyzed for how it will play out in Sochi. Ugh.

3. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Was Alexis Miart the one who suffered an injury which forced them to withdraw from competitions last season or was it Tiffany who was injured?

4. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Miart.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. marysy

marysy Active Member

Recap and some quotes from Brian and Florent at Passion Patinage after the LP: http://www.passion-patinage.com/?p=4577

Short summary of results of P/B, Brian, Florent with a few quotes from L'Equipe: http://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Actualites/Des-debuts-prometteurs/318011

Not directly about Masters, but an interview with Annick Dumont about training Brian: http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/.../Articles/2012/10/08/DUMONT-AUX-JO-AVEC-BRIAN

Joubert is planning on staying with Dumont as a coach, though they are in contact with Guyon. One of the commentators during the Masters broadcast said that he's spending one day a week at Bercy, presumably with Katia Krier.

Is Alex Zahradnicek planning on representing France? He was invited to compete at Masters. If so, what's the connection? (Isn't he American?)

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

L'Equipe also ran a short interview with Amodio, about his plans, working with Morozov and training alongside Takahashi.

I think so. Wasn't he hanging around in Poitiers a few months back? This must have been in the works for a while, though what advantage there is for the FFSG in bringing him over, I have no idea.

8. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

It seems he's planning that, yes. The only connection so far, seems to be French former elite skater Vincent Restencourt who's his coach along with Priscilla Hill.

9. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I love P/B's free dance music, this is so refreshing and modern, the Rolling Stones are probably one of the rare musics that is pretty "old" now but that is not has been. Something great can be done on this music. And P/B are probably a pair that can really connect to this music very well.
    The problem, IMO, from what at saw, is that the music choice and cuts are bad, well, not at my taste at least, and they don't bring any emotion. And it's only because the program is brand new and need adjustments, it's because the choreography and rythms changes don't bring any emotion.
    I'm afraid that with that kind of program judges will easily give the leads to americans or canadiens who will shine with their brilliant technic and precision with scirsors made choreography. On the contrary P/B's dance looks to messy to me. And I don't like the music cut, it starts with a weird rythm on wich they don't skate to the same bit, that makes it looks either slow (because of the music) or too fast (because of the moves that are too fast for the music). The slow part is nice though. And the last part, well, they missed it, so it's hard to get a real feeling about that.
    But overall, eventhough there is a lot of improvements possible, I'm afraid that there is actually too much improvement needed to make it works and it leaves the door opened for other pairs to pass them.
    To me all will depend on what others do, wether they do very well or not. But P/B didn't put all chances in their side.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love her skirt.

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

OMG I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE that SD :)

13. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Good to hear that Brian Joubidoo is staying with Annick (with a bit of support from Veronique) ... they had worked together a bit anyway during Salt Lake City (more than 10 years ago:eek:) so hopefully they will get on in the run-up to Sochi.

Brian seems to be the sort of guy who needs some strong woman to give him a kick :kickass: in the a** now and then (not that he is not motivated) and sort him out. His long programme this year (which I understand he wishes to keep for Sochi) is very beautiful and emotional ... wonder why people haven't commented on it.

Go Brian :rollin:

14. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Maybe they haven't seen it yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crlbwp16YJQ

I like it as well. Finally a great program for him!

15. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

P/B's SD is vastly preferable to their FD :) And the costumes are much better, too.

People haven't commented on Amodio's programs in this thread, either - and not everyone watches French Masters ;) I like Joubert's LP and think it has a lot of potential. Obviously you have to edit out the mistakes and try to picture it with more difficult elements, but the program itself is lovely and better than the others he's had in recent years.

I was pleasantly surprised that he chose to use only Time from the Inception soundtrack, as it's softer and less in-your-face than some of the other tracks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. Kelvster

It's a travesty people don't watch the French Masters! One of the most important competitions of the year! :cool:

18. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

They have worked together much more recently than that. In Courchevel in summer for instance. There, she was his only coach for a while. Don't remember if it was 2 or 3 summers ago, but it was a temporary solution during one of his umpteenth changes of coach.

To be fair, until now, Masters weren't televised so it was hard for people to watch it other than live at the rink ;) I assume the "most important competition of the year" is ironical :lol: It's a test, nothing else. Most of skaters are usually not ready (for the exception of Juniors who've already competed at JPGs).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  19. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

P&B's SD is fab. :smokin: The FD looked messy (the second half in particular), but it's early days yet. I do wish they'd pick either Sympathy for the Devil or Start Me Up and stick to it, because those ~10 seconds of Sympathy for the Devil sounded *very* random. I think I prefer Sympathy, but that might be because it's my favourite Stones song. ;)

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

You think Annick Dumont is a strong woman ? More than Veronique Guyon ? :eek:

21. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

As usual I find their SDs superior to their FDs. One of my biggest problems with their FD is the soundtrack. I also find it both :lol: and :confused: that they chose to end their FD with Start Me Up. The way the music relates (or rather doesn't relate) to their movements makes it seem as if it's just background noise.

I still think they'll skate it well by Worlds and the strength of their SD will help them.

22. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

23. Kelvster

They both appear to be strong women :cool:

I always love seeing Annick's reactions at the kiss and cry ... and her commentary for France Television is quite good also ... she's v. supportive of the skaters and always shouts "ALLEZ, BRIAN" ... "ALLEZ, VANESSA", "ALLEZ ALLEZ"

And the cameraman always seems to love her. :cool:

24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

But that doesn't mean she is near the skaters during their preparation, and that doesn't mean she is able to find the best in each skater, or doing the best choices for them. Really, Veronique Guyon was the only one who tried to kick Brian's ass.

25. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

^^ That. And he really needs some serious :kickass: to work properly and sometimes just to work. Guyon feared no one and wasn't close to anyone in particular at FFSG, so she had her hands free (as much as you can have your hands free with FFSG, that is !) She is a strong opinionated woman and so is Dumont. What happen behind closed doors must sometimes be epic ! :argue: :lol:

26. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Who choreographed Brown's program?

27. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I usually love their FDs too (ok, not the one from last year, but anyone doing Walk Like An Egyptian-arms to middle eastern music grates on my nerves like nails against a blackboard), but I'm not convinced by the final music cuts. I found Start Me Up at the end a little odd too, but I'm going to take it on good faith it's on purpose. :lol:

Also, I don't know who did that People are Strange cover, but it sure wasn't the The Door's original.

28. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

I think it's Jimmy Somerville's cover.

29. weir1

weir1 New Member

P/B's SD is amazing.
    simply a masterpiece.
    It can and will compete with any other SD. Second to none , I doubt that any other pair can/will do a better job.
    As for the FD - not perfect (yet) , but we need to see how the judges will look at it.
    The music transitions are working, they are not bad at all, the chemistry will come, and it will be perfect, we can trust them....
    Good luck

30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this .:)

At the end of the short dance I thought maybe they had run out of steam a little as the music seemed to be running ahead of them but I'm sure with practice that will come.
    It sure is original and very exciting .