New Zealand Earthquake - new 2/21/11 (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Sep 3, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

A strong earthquake has hit southern New Zealand, near Christchurch. 7.4 magnitude, so it's significant, but happily, no major damage seems to have occurred, and no casualties are reported at this point.

Does NZ normally get earthquakes?
  2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Yes, it's right on the Pacific Rim and as far back as you can go in time, the island chain (and Maori folklore) has been shaped by volcanic and earthquake activity.

In fact, the "thumb"-like peninsula that sticks out of the South Island just southeast of Christchurch is itself a volcanic crater. Lyttleton Harbor, a beautiful place that I've been to, in a suburb immediately south of Christchurch, is also a volcanic crater.

The mountains of the South Island are also shaped by earthquake activity along a fault that runs across both the North and South Islands and literally cuts both islands diagonally in half. I remember seeing an exhibit in one of the major museums in Wellington that talked about how the land to the north of this fault is increasing being pulled away from the land to the south, so that over time, much of the North Island will pull away from most of the South Island.

I certainly hope there's not any major damage, but the epicenter is right in the middle of the Christchurch area. Besides the Haiti quake, there haven't been many recent examples of a 7+ quake right in the middle of a major urban area like that. :( Beautiful area, kind, beautiful people - have been there before and hope folks are safe there.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. UMBS Go Blue

4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I hope that pic is the worst of it. :( I assume the infrastructure is better able to support a quake than Haiti, but still...
  5. ice dance

ice dance Member

I'm 70 miles south of Christchurch (the epicentre) and was woken up this morning by the quake. It seemed to last for a while - I woke up, and had time to realise what was happening, and get in a doorway. It was widely felt throughout the South Island and the lower part of the North Island. Lights were swaying, small things fell off high shelves, and windows were rattling. There have been a number of small aftershocks since - including one as I started to type. Damage to buildings and roads in Christchurch, and power is off there too. More news is coming through as it gets light here.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ice dance

ice dance Member

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I blame the Dwarves....they dug too deep and released the Balrog.
  8. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Hopefully Christchurch has survived relatively intact. From the photos I've seen of that city, it's very attractive. The recent photos are somewhat worrisome.
  9. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Hearing news about earthquakes in New Zealand always freaks me out because I have close relatives living there. Thank goodness they live in the north in Auckland, which AFAIK has not been hit by any natural disaster in recent times.
  10. ice dance

ice dance Member

11. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

It has been downgraded to 7.0. I'm glad no one was seriously injured, and that no one died. NZ is well prepared for earthquakes, and I expect that the state of emergency declared will not be ongoing.
  12. ice dance

ice dance Member

We are very lucky that it hit at night - there would have been many more injuries and probably deaths had it hit in the daytime.
  13. ice dance

ice dance Member

14. UMBS Go Blue

Have taken a bus through Lyttleton before, on the way to the gondola/scenic overlook. Very close to the centre of the urban area.

(((Kiwis))) Hope FSUers and everyone down there are safe.
  15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

16. ice dance

ice dance Member

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:( My thoughts are with them.
  18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

(((((NZ))))
  20. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Wow, I knew NZ was on the Ring of Fire, but didn't know they were susceptible to major earthquakes too.

Praying for speedy recovery of the survivors.
  21. Ozzisk8tr

There is a major fault line that runs directly down both islands if I remember correctly.
  22. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

That's terrible. Christchurch is a beautiful city.
  23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Whoops -- I think that the posts starting with #11 ought to be moved to the current earthquake thread -- this thread was started to cover last fall's big earthquake. Mods - can you snip and pin?
  24. Ozzisk8tr

17 confirmed fatalities so far. Many still trapped under collapsed buildings.
  25. Ozzisk8tr

65 confirmed dead so far. This is so sad. :(
  26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

I just checked the LOTR MB I belong to, and one of my NZ friends over there said things are so bad due to how many buildings were damaged in the Earthquake that happened a few months ago. As he put it, the first one produced hairline cracks in the foundations of so many buildings, so when this one hit, since those cracks were already there everything just fell apart. :(

We're hoping our Members/Friends in the Christchurch area are okay, but w/the state everything is in right now, we don't know when we'll get word. It goes w/out saying I'm hoping for the same w/our FSU NZ Members.

Such a gorgeous Country and People. ((((NZ)))) :(
  27. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Saw the reports about the earthquake, and it was so sad to see it :(
  28. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

(((NZ))) Christchurch is beautiful. I read that the spire of the cathedral toppled into the square.
  29. Ozzisk8tr

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Prayers for all the affected people. So sad.
  31. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That interview is so disturbing. They know she hasn't contacted rescuers but keep her on the line. I hope they made efforts to contact her family once off the line. I'm also amazed at how calm she was. Hope there's a follow up and we see her out safe.
  32. Ozzisk8tr

She was just interviewed on the news here, still trapped. She sounds incredibly strong and said she was determined to see this through. She said she knew people were on a mission to rescue her and she was determined to survive, although earlier she had thought of "throwing in the towel". I think she will become one of the heroes of this terrible disaster. My heart goes out to the hundreds of missing, and especially their families and loved ones.
  33. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Hoping my online friends in NZ are safe.
  34. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  35. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The pictures from the disaster are so terrible! Heard two buses were crushed by a falling building. My thoughts, prayers and condolences to the people of Christchurch.
  36. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

the pictures are incredible. And the damage seems so random - buildings that appear undamaged next to buildings that crumbled.
  37. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Very sad news for New Zealand :(

BBC evening news is currently reporting that shallow tremors such as this one are much more dangerous than deeper ones (this one was three miles below Christchurch) and the relatively soft rock underground magnified the shaking. Guy from British Geological Survey saying that this fault, and the one which caused last year's earthquake, was not previously known to geologists, and probably hasn't moved for tens of thousands of years.
  38. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

So sad. :(
    What is causing the floods?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  39. ice dance

ice dance Member

Liquefaction.
  40. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think it's from water pipes that have been detroyed/broken

ETA: ^ this was from some photo captions. I'm sure there is also liquefaction, but some of the water looks pretty clean and pooled.