New York Times article: Ice Dance and its appeal (or lack therof)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nothing like the rehashing of the usual Six-Pack John non-arguments. Definitely what the world needs. :rolleyes:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Nice story for non-fans, without sensationalism. Hopefully closer to Sochi someone who knows will write an article for the NYT explaining the components of the dances and especially the PCS scores, give people something to learn rather than just talk about how mysterious and random it all is.

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Sorry to bore you, Ziggy :rolleyes: but I liked the actual interviews with Meryl and Charlie and thought it was an interesting take. Agree with PRLady about how hopefully someone will go more in depth as we get to the Olympics.

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think it was being discussed recently if anyone thought d/s were favorites and Vancouver and here jere longman says they were but no publication at all were predicting d/s for gold with their dual problems of having the worst program of all time as of 2010 and being so injured that they lost both od and fd to f/s at euros.

I can't believe the words level or twizzle were never used once! Lol. But it makes sense as his views are like most American writers that ice dance is a big joke and all false and results are based on parking spot proximity even an American team being the frontrunner for gold was impossible and never going to happen!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's an interesting take?

The story on Davis and White is indeed interesting but those kind of ignorant broski statements are just beyond :rolleyes:.

It's rhumba and foxtrot. He can't even spell them right.

I would expect a journalist writing on a subject to research it properly first (pie in the sky, I know). He clearly has no clue what he's talking about. I mean Domnina/Shabalin supposedly being gold medal favourites in 2010. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  7. caseyedwards

Rumba is just as right as rhumba but the article is stupid.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Rumba isn't an Olympic sport though. Rhumba, on the other hand, is a compulsory dance. ;)

9. caseyedwards

True ISU rules and official spelling is Rhumba. I was also thinking of dance in general but its fitting for that article to miss.

10. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Loved the part about their moms complimentary vision.

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, the best parts of the article are about their Moms and Charlie's one-liner, "... what about me? Are you saying I'm not a unique beauty? :lol:

The reference to ice dance as having a "brittle legitimacy," and being mocked are old-hat these days. Would be more interesting if the writer referred to such views in an historical context and then discussed how those views have changed and why. The article totally misses the boat re the extraordinary landscape that has been ice dance in the era of Meryl & Charlie, and Tessa & Scott -- an era of North American dominance unfortunately characterized by bickering among uber fans more than by appreciation of the drive for excellence that both these teams exemplify. Oh boy, what a great story that is! Dare we dream that NBC will do a better job as the climax of this journey for these 2 remarkable teams unfolds?

IJS and quads IMO have much more of a "brittle legitimacy" than ice dance ever had.

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Well Dom/Shabs were the reigning World gold medalists leading into the 09/10 cycle, and they did (deservedly, IMO) win the CD in Vancouver. And despite their other crappy dances they walked limped away with the bronze. Those types of results don't really help the credibility of ice dance.

13. aftershocks

Well, how D/S ever became reigning World gold medalists in the first place has more to do with politics and maybe, uh ... perhaps a bit of brittle legitimacy. :p

14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Weeelllll....I think we have a sport that needs more fans, and the more esoteric we get in major newspapers, the more we alienate potential people who might fall in love with figure skating. I can also sympathize with a writer who just can't help but leave in a turn of phrase that catches their fancy. I thought it was a nice piece.

15. aftershocks

No question it's nice as articles about fs are so rare as to be forgotten relics. Have to either laugh at or bemoan the fact that in the U.S. fs seems newsworthy only every four years. Again yes it seems we true fans should be thankful for every scrap that comes our way. But there also should be no harm in pointing out failings in coverage and hoping for better, and suggesting how the coverage could improve.

Yes there's always hope, even as the sport and its neglected fans limp our way toward more, much more than mockery, more than the whack heard around the world, and more than that ubiquitous brittle legitimacy tag.

16. caseyedwards

But no one at the time in any publication at all was predicting d/s for gold. They really bombed euros losing od and fd to a team not even considered in the running for an Olympic medal. Winning because of the cd.

NBC still doesn't understand ice dance at all thinking russia has any power or influence to win a medal for a russia team. Depicting North Americans as underdogs for some reason against a Russia machine.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Given how many times NA teams have won ice dance medals vs how many times Russian teams have won ice dance medals, maybe it's not surprising that NBC feels that way.

18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

The real problem with ice dance - for fans and non-fans of skating - is that no one can look at a step sequence or a lift and tell you what level it is. You see an amazing and fluid dance that moves you, and it scores low because of levels. Then a robotic and boring dance that bores you, and it wins medals. And sadly it's not something you can train yourself to spot like with spin levels and jump under-rotations. Even commentators have no idea how good or bad a performance will score until the marks come out.

I mean name me one commentator who made a single comment about a mistake in the compulsory dance portion of the SD this season, and yet look at the protocols of the top 10 ice dancers, and it's littered with NNN and NYN. Why? Hell if I know. And no one tries to explain it on TV because even they don't know

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  19. caseyedwards

It kind of is based on the results of the past 4 years even the Olympics 2010. It's not even mathematically possible for a Russian team to beat DW or VM and that's been the case for years now!

20. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

The person who wrote this article has no clue what they are talking about - this person does not know a twizzle from a fizzle. NBC needs to step it up with qualified reporting if it expects knowledgeable skating fans to take it seriously next month.

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm still :lol: that the 2002 scandal at SLC was apparently all about the ice dance results!

22. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Quads have a brittle legitimacy? :confused:

Agreed about Charlie's line.

At least the injury was acknowledged as a hindering factor for them.

Have there been that many NA teams who were unfairly deprived of medals over the years? If they were to look at, say, ski jumping medal tables, would that also lead to arguments about the unfairness of it all?

Of course, when NA teams are winning, clearly ice dance is legitimate and the scoring system works. This is also true for gymnastics, I believe.

We all know that figure skating is a political sport, but unlike NBC, I don't believe it all originates on one side of the Atlantic.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And I didn't say I believed that either. Just pointing out that those not familiar with the intricacies of ice dancing :sekret: :bribe: might look at the list of past results and conclude that North Americans were being treated unfairly.

24. Zemgirl

No, you didn't. It just annoys me to see so much coverage that doesn't bother to differentiate between politicking and legitimate outcomes.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I was interested to see what the NYT would come up with in the article. I am no expert on dance and cannot pick up factual errors like you guys, so could you please tell me, where are the Davis and White dads? :shuffle: That shows how little I follow dance.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  26. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

FS is a mommy sport and not a daddy sport. How many interviews of daddies, who are not part of athletes coaching team have you seen so far.

27. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Kiira Korpi´s father Rauno Korpi, who is a former ice hockey coach, has been interwiewed many times about FS. He often says that it is much harder than ice hockey and the skaters really train like crazies. :hat1: Was not Trankov´s father also part of the sport?

28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

It seems he is famous on his own right, great to know.

29. Zemgirl

There's also Danny Kwan...

Valentina Marchei's father was an Olympic marathoner; she's said in the past that he was too nervous to come and watch her compete very often, but that she does go to him for advice and support.

There are some past skaters and/or current coaches who are involved in their children's training to varying extents (e.g. Nikolai Morozov, Ilia Kulik, Didier Lucine, Jun Ge).

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Some knowledgeable commentators would have a pretty good idea -- Tracy Wilson, Judy Blumberg, Tanith Belbin.

However, the networks are more interested in gearing their commentary toward a few million casual viewers who don't know one edge from another and don't care, so the coverage focuses more on human interest and obvious errors or obvious strengths that can be pointed out without detailed explanation to viewers with no prior knowledge.

Those commentators can make pretty good estimations of which teams will be in medal contention, top 10, lower ranks. They may know for sure or have a good idea what levels were called, but until the scores are finalized and in the computer -- including the PCS -- they can't do the math on the fly to predict accurately which of several closely matched teams will come out ahead. So why guess out loud and risk being proved wrong?

And the networks do like to maintain suspense, especially in supporting the chances of the home team(s).

So the commentators are not encouraged to provide a detailed analysis.

We thousands of more interested fans who would like learn more are out of luck when it comes to network commentary.