New Years Cup, Slovakia, Jan 3-6 2013

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by sammyf, Dec 13, 2012.

1. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Entries here http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/

Lots of FCC countries here with entries from Australia, Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Mexico, Malaysia, South Africa, and Thailand.

2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

and sarah hecken, still fighting for the tes for worlds :D

3. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yay, Mualem gets her first competition.

Saw her in Metulla last weekend - was impressed with her spins, was not impressed with anything else. If what is written about her on the IISF is true - that she started skating at the age of 16 and is now just 20 - she is crazily talented.

4. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I see Stephanie Zhang (AUS) is entered. Apparently this is this really the Stephanie Zhang that competed internationally ten years ago. I checked the ISU bio, and it lists her as having competed in 2013 Australian Nationals finishing 3rd. She also competed in Nationals in 2005 and 2003, but her last international event dates back to 2002. She is 27 now. Interesting that she chose to come back to competition.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

An acquaintance of mine who trains there mentioned someone like that a while back, IIRC. I'm not sure I've seen Mualem skate, but it's certainly impressive if she really did start skating that late (and has only trained in Metulla).

6. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

I believe that she has only been back I training for a very short time and that her recent Nationals was the first event she has skated under the IJS.

She has a number of triples already. As to why she would make a comeback at 27, I would say that is Sochi calling her.

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

So it seems: that's her website, apparently

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

They're not doing live score updates, by the looks of things. I wanted to see how Isabelle Pieman was doing, but it looks like I will need to be productive at work instead. Hrumph.

ETA: 7th place after 2 mistakes isn't too bad, so I'll take it. :cheer2: for Hecken's good effort and a 3-3 . Israeli girl had both her double jump attempts downgraded by << and her flying sit and camel combo never got credited at all. I still think this should be a good learning experience for her and she'll have plenty of things to work on after the event.

http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/NYC13_SeniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Sarah Hecken is in the lead, with 50.76

10. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Sarah got her SP minimum score ( + 28) again in the SP...now on to the FP which she has come within 1 point of making ...twice

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Third time's a charm ;)?

12. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

The score link posted has her TES 27.9, .1 shy. But as you say she's made the short program TES already.

13. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Oops..thanks danafan.
    I didn't go back and check..I must have assumed the min was 25 as I looked at it.

14. shah

shah Shhh...

Michelle Couwenberg also got a minimum TES...hopefully, she'll reach 36 pts in the free and gets sent to Zagreb :).

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

NED didn't submit any ladies' entries to Europeans - could she still be added if she made the FS min.?

ETA: Never mind, as Couwenberg scored 34.15 TES in her FS.

1 Sarah HECKEN
    GER 94.70 49.36 45.34 5.75 5.42 5.75 5.67 5.75 0.00 #17
    Hecken has made the Worlds min. of 48 in her FS (the only one to do so today).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  16. shah

shah Shhh...

:(

the same applies to the Porters - dead last in dance competition, far from any decent TES. there won't be second AZE team in Zagreb...

17. allezfred

allezfred Just say Yes! Staff Member

Seeing a senior skater score TES of 2.85 (SP) and 7.18 (FS) makes me feel a lot better about the state of Irish skating. :shuffle:

18. Zemgirl

I feel bad for Muallem . I don't know what her expectations were going in, but even if the goal is just to get international experience and see where she can improve, scores that bad have to hurt.

19. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

lol. The difference is that we'll see the state of Irish skating in Europeans, while that will remain for those skating in Metulla only. :p

Muallem states on her site she have been skating for 4 years. If it was taking place, say, in Russia she would be 8y.o. by now. Her list of elements make a decent 8y.o. programme. What were the federation thinking sending her to a competition to get such a blow - beats me. What is she thinking saying she has olympic hopes beats me even more, but then she's not the only israeli skater with sci fi ambitions.

20. Zemgirl

I don't know, even a young skater would be expected to rotate some jumps and to get credit for her spins. Yafit Asaf did when she was still competing (though she had been training longer at that point, I think). I agree that it was irresponsible to send Muallem considering her current level, and someone should have realized what that level was. I hope for her sake that this won't be too hard for her to deal with and that she will be able to improve.

This just goes to show that you can't achieve much with the current training conditions in Israel (not that this is news to anyone). Maybe if the IISF were more concerned about developing the sport in Israel rather than importing d-list skaters with vague Jewish connections things would be different.

21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

good to see that hecken seemed to be back on track and gained her confidence and better shape again.

22. allezfred

allezfred Just say Yes! Staff Member

Not this year you won't. :(

23. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

I noticed that Nicole Rajicova of Slovakia won the Junior ladies event *and* finished 7th in senior ladies. Are there two Nicole Rajicovas? Or are they the same person? Anyone know?

24. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Must be the same person - compare the senior protocol http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/NYC13_SeniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf and the junior: http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/NYC13_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

The element layout is the same except for the choreographic step sequence in the senior program.

Regardless of whether this is allowed (well it must be, if she did it), she must have been exhausted.

25. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

1 Sarah HECKEN
    GER 94.70 49.36 45.34 5.75 5.42 5.75 5.67 5.75 0.00

Wow ... getting the TES by the skin of her teeth. I wonder if this will be a career changing performance for her. Assuming Nathalie Weinzierl doesn't perform in Euros, the German Federation may send Hecken to Worlds instead. And Hecken is perfectly capable of finishing inside, say, top 20, thus gaining an Olympic spot for Germany. (then the German federation may look kindly towards her when it comes to selection of the Olympic team ... It's all knock-on effect ... but they may still require her to finish in the top ten at Euros or something ......... talk about harsh criteria).