New video of Nicole Bobek

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Spinner, Feb 19, 2011.

1. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Really nice to see Bobek looking happy and strong and skating again.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

:respec: to JoJo, Todd and Richard for reaching out and helping her during the process.

skatingfan5 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'll second that! And good for Nicole to be working at keeping her life back "on track" both on and off the ice.

4. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I'm thrilled to read Nicole took her GED. Various sources have documented that Nicole was never taught the importance of education. More than one have also stated that she was deliberately led to believe she was retarded and incapable of learning. Maybe getting a GED will help her silence those voices and give her confidence in other areas of her life.

As a show skater, she's always had it and still does. I think the double axel will come back if she keeps working at the pace she's going.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She still has it!

Will she be able to make a living out of show skating?

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. As great as it is to see her skate, I think it's really important that she develop other facets of her personality. It's a HUGE accomplishment, and she should be very proud.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

She said that the Adele program she did was an Improv. That is really impressive. I think she would make a fantastic choreographer.

8. Louise

Louise Banned Member

This is just wonderful to see. I can snark with the best, but meth is a killer. It's not funny. And that she is turning her life around is the best news I've seen all week. She has one tough road to hoe (?), and I give her props for her honesty and commitment to making something of her life. This isn't a time to kick her, okay. Nicole, best of luck. And who cares about a double axel or triple toe. You are alive, and functioning. You are already a winner.

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA! Kudos to them.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'll fourth that! :encore:

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Add me to those thanking JoJo, Richard, and Todd for helping her.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

JoJo seems like a really great mentor/role model to young skaters. When Elaine Zayak struggled the first few years after turning pro (weight gain, lack of motivations to train, really crappy pro programs at World Pro), JoJo also came to Elaine's aid and got her skating back on track.

13. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

She looks much better as the blonde, so I'm glad she changed back. She seems healthy, which is great.

But Nicole having been one of my favorite skaters, I can't say she's "back to her old self". She's rather overweight and heavy on the ice, and her doubles are a bit shaky- definitely no room for triples anymore.

It's great to see her back, and in shape, and seemingly happy, but let's not stretch and say she's back to the greatness she when she performed her Giselle LP.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Just noticed that a video link to Bobek's first public performance (at "Skate for Love" in Morristown, NJ on April 16, 2011) hasn't been posted in this thread (it was posted earlier in the "Skate for Love" thread in GSD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBMzTt5szQ8

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

^ Thanks so much for posting.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Thanks for posting! She is so lovely on the ice, particularly her use of her arms.

Since her mother was from Czech Republic, is there any possibility that if Nicole got a couple triples back, she could skate for the Czechs? They have such great men, an OK (sometimes) dance team or two, and some pairs trying hard, but they didn't even have a lady at Worlds this year, even in the QR. What with there being a team event at the next Olympics, it might be a (silly) idea.... :slinkaway:

17. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

That was lovely.

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good to see her back on the ice!

19. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

You're absolutely right on all of the above. But Nicole still has the same kind of intangible star power that she's always had. E.g., my significant other, who NEVER watches skating and will leave the house when it's on, came home and told me about seeing "a skater who skated to Adele who was really good" from a link on Facebook. :eek: I just about fell over.

And, frankly, I'd rather watch Nicole than Sasha Cohen these days. (And I lurve Sasha, but as a pro, she's been a bit disappointing.)

20. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's that delusional, but after seeing a bunch of crap CoP choreography the last 7 years, it's so wonderful (IMO) to see a program where the spiral lasts as long as the musical phrase requires it to, where the spins change with the chord progression, and the footwork and MITF flow and move across the ice instead of ticking across as though they were done on a gymnastic mat. That kind of artistry just can't shine through when you're counting every position for a set level of seconds and making sure every change of edge has a certain number of revolutions. True artistry happens when you turn your brain off and let everything go. Nicole has always done this as well as any of the 'greats' and even if her physical condition isn't at its peak, it's still glorious and rare to see this type of performance.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
    PeterG, alilou, DORISPULASKI and 3 others like this.
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

@Nicolebobek77 tweeted yesterday:
    "Nicole Bobek - Love Dance I have worked and dreamed of doing this for two years. Now I share this with u all❤" http://youtu.be/r0irpQKMhKU

22. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I'm smiling - it is wonderful to see that Nicole is happy on the ice and doing what she is so good at doing. This woman has been through a lot (granted, self-inflicted much of it but don't we all do that to a greater or lesser degree) but she has come back so well and so strong. It feels good to be happy for another human being - I wish her every good thing going forward.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  23. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting that link Sylvia - it was lovely to see Nicole performing again.

24. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Nicole looks terrific. Echoing the praise for JoJo, Todd and Richard, also. I saw her in NYC in April at FSIH and she looked fabulous, happy, fit and having a great time with the girls and the other skaters.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I saw Nicole do a hoop number with ITNY and thought she looked very comfortable with it. Glad she's now incorporating that in her regular gala appearances. It works well with her Cirque music & makes her stand out -in a good way.

26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Omg, the hoop!

While amazing, it looks extremely dangerous. I would like to see her about 3 feet above the ice instead of 10 feet.

27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

If I was watching that live, I would literally be making this -----> :yikes: face the entire time she was doing the stuff with the hoop.

I would be so freaked that the harness would break, especially when her head was facing the ice.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they use the same track as for jump harness, so you'd hope those get tested on a regular basis :D.

29. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh man, I would FREAK OUT and pray that whoever held the hoop had really good depth perception. She must have worked a LOT on grip strength. Wishing her continuing good health and great skating!

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Oh wonderful! I love the make-up, the costume, and the inventiveness. Thanks so much for posting. It's clear how long and hard Nicole has been working on this number. I echo praise for Nicole and for the people who never gave up on her. That she is finding the strength and beauty in herself and in her skating and sharing it with the world is a testament and an inspiration to not get down on oneself or give in to hopelessness.

It would be great to see this performance as part of a full-fledged skating art fantasy on ice with Nicole and other skaters like Yebin Mok, Lucinda Ruh, Johnny Weir, Shawn Sawyer, Garrett Kling, Rohene Ward, Mark Hanretty, Weaver/ Poje, Savchenko/ Szolkowy, Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Stephane Lambiel, Daisuke Takahashi, Max Staviski, Yagudin, Carolina Kostner, and others well known and lesser known.