New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Yep cause thats what's gonna get us 3 spots in Sochi...Hot Guys!! BTW wouldn't hold your breath to see Y/R any time soon.

Well we can all have a sigh of relief, Rockne is here to save the day for US pairs! Lets ignore the battlefield littered with the "dead Soldiers" of both Lindsay's and Rockne's past partners...I'm sure they will get along great!

2014 US Nats:

D/C for the easy win

C/S, S/K, Z/B, D/B literally battling for the scraps, It's going down in Boston Ya'll

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Remind me again how many partners John Coughlin has had, and how his current partnership came about?

D/C may well win the US title next season, but if they win easily, that won't speak well as to the standard of the event.

BTW, the poster to whom you responded did not suggest that sending better looking guys to Worlds will result in better placements for US pairs, only that it'll be more aesthetically pleasing for her to watch.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Manly, yes, but we like it, too.

4. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm predicting D/C will not have an easy time winning. I'm betting the fight for the title will be fierce next season.

5. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

IMO, we have a lot of promising young teams coming along. Here's hoping they just don't break their partnerships in the next few years.

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

;) Thank you for the memories. That made me smile.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I agree.

I think there are a number of young Pairs who are stylistically compatible and in similar places in their careers. If personal relationships continue to go well or don't but are handled gracefully, going into the next Olympic cycle, it could be the deepest group of pairs we've had in a long time.

8. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

What do you all think are the chances that a U.S pair could medal at worlds before 2018?

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think first things first: what are the chances that US pairs could qualify three teams by 2018? I think those odds are better than a medal, but, on the other hand, T/T surprised everyone last year.

I think a lot depends on who retires. In 2013-14, I'd expect some faux retires to stay, the ones who say that Sochi is/is probably the end, but think that the field is open for them to win an elusive title or medal and stay on. There are a lot of permutations for what happens if P/T, S/S, and V/T stay/don't stay, but I'd expect D/R, B/L, maybe S/K depending on what happens with V/T and K/S after 2014, to be fighting for the podium post-Sochi, with M-T/M and B/H right behind them. If B/L really go to Vasiliev, and they're healthy, they will be well-oiled machines by the time they get to 2018, with her grace enhanced by their greater consistency. (Hopefully, Vasiliev has gotten over his Marton phase.).

10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

This made me :lol::lol::lol:
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Might I add Baldwin to the list...

11. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth! :lol:

Best of luck to the new pair!

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Pretty good. If we assume that Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong all retire after Sochi, I think there's definitely a better chance that some U.S. teams can have international success during the next quad -- perhaps even a world medal. Not that it will be easy, but much more likely than it will be this season or next.

I'm excited for the Lindsay/Rockne partnership! I really liked him with Mary Beth, but I think he and Lindsay will be able to do a wider range of programs and styles.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Certainly good if pairs stay together and remain relatively injury free!

14. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

If you guys dislike Caydee's skating, wait till you closely watch Davis. Don't mean to be overly critical, but Rockne is a much better and prettier skater than Lindsay. You can't have a team where the guy is the star.

15. figureit

figureit Member

I don't always agree with your comments...but on this you are spot on. Just wondering why no one else has seemed to comment about this? She is very blocky and no pointed toes or stretched pair lift positions and I understand there are some issues there. IN this case the guy will be the star and you are right it doesn't work...the girl is the photo the guy the frame or it is an unbalanced pair period.

I don't usually comment on body's and girls especially pair skaters because I think it is horrible to make a girl be "thin" or a certain way to be a good pair...but I have seen that Caitlin has lost sooo much weight recently and that Gretchen and Andrew when they first started the first year to the second year how much weight she lost...I just worry they will focus on Lindsey being pair girl "thin" and it worries me...she has a gymnast body not super thin and it does affect her lines on the ice. I just worry for her future albeit premature...I just hope it does not happen or there is some expectation she will morph into a super thin partner..instead of embracing her natural frame...

Hopefully they make it work and rather than it just gelling quick and being comfortable you look for line, and a look that is enhancing in nature..that creates emotion not just within but from others and I don't see it with this team..but hope I am wrong.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

SCIMECA AND KNIERIM!

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I like S/K as much as anyone, but I've followed them both on various social media sites and I just have no hope that they'll stay together past the end of their romantic relationship. They just seem very young, in love and impulsive.

Hopefully Davis/Brubaker are entering into this relationship as two adults with very similar goals and expectations, but reading this icenetwork article didn't fill me with hope. I get the feeling, just reading between the lines, that if they don't make the Olympic team next year, or at the very least have an amazing season and perhaps fall just short, they won't continue together for another season or another 4 years. That's a lot of pressure to put on a first year partnership.

18. figureit

figureit Member

19. SLIVER

SLIVER Well-Known Member

figureit and johndockley92, this is what I was hinting at earlier! Sad to say but I really don't see her potential at all, especially compared to Keauna. I know there is apparently no one else available but I felt he really rushed into his partnership with Marley, who was ridiculously young for him and now Davis?? Really?

20. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

YAY! Rockne is back! That's all I have to add. :)

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The euphoria has now officially ended! lol

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Dean was arguably the star in T&D.

I always look at the hot guy in the pair anyway ;)

23. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I have a similar worry, although it's probably too early to worry since they really haven't started anything yet. Rockne will be the shortest partner Lindsay has ever had, and I worry a bit about the pressure there might be on her to get smaller for him. She has always been at a healthy adult weight with an athletic build and it would be disappointing if she was to struggle with weight pressures to try to get this partnership going quickly. Hopefully he's been in the weight room a lot even when he wasn't skating. He said a year or so ago that he dropped a lot of his muscle because Marley was so short that he felt he didn't need it. Well Lindsay of course is not only taller than Marley but has an actual adult build, so Rockne needs to be bulked up.

As for her lines vs his lines...the concerns are understandable. But if the option is to skate with Lindsay or not skate at all, which do you choose? At least she knows how Sr pairs works, is mature (including being past puberty issues), knows what Sr international competition is like, and hopefully won't freak out from skating with someone of Rockne's caliber.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  24. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I guess I'm missing a few things here. I don't find Lindsay's line to be all that bad. She looks like she achieves good extension on her lifts and good positions on the landings of her jumps. Also, Keauna was bigger than Lindsay at the end of M/B v 1.0's career together in 2010. They've also paired together earlier than most pairs who split post-Worlds, so they have even a little more time for the upcoming season to get used to each other.

I'm not proclaiming them no. 1 US pair, but I think they can do very well for themselves.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Now you're being reasonable and taking all the "fun" out of this. Much better if we have bipolar reactions from one page to the next ;).

26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

It's hard for people to separate S/K's relationship from their partnership because their relationship is so in-your-face. But that's no reason to not support their partnership if they get some good results internationally. If they break up, so what. It would have lasted no less than most of our platonic U.S. partnerships.

27. figureit

figureit Member

lol

I agree....I think they will be fine...I also agree that Rockne has to bulk up a lot and the emphasis should be on him getting stronger not on her getting thinner. Her lines are not all that bad...and her jump positions are decent too.I don't think you can compare her to Keauna given the artistry of one to the other....there was so much struggling in the beginning of Davis and Ludwig not sure if anyone knows why? The only time I saw a good performance was Nationals..and that was online not sure if anyone was in the stands that has a better comment on her lines and artistry cause it is clearer in person I think? ALso still curious as to what issues she had with Mark? HE seems like such an easy going guy that is concerning if there was issues they could not work through not sure if anyone has any inside info on that? and if they think it will effect her and Rockne's relationship???

..always interesting for sure;)

28. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I was thinking that myself. In the paso doble from 1984, I always look at him. I don't see any reason I wouldn't watch Rockne most of the time.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a choice. He's very short for a pair skater.

30. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Personally I think Rockne and Lindsay will be a good match physically. We'll see.