New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

I heard that Sui/Han will be ready to compete at Worlds via chatter at 4CC, and I'd think Pang/Tong are alright, too. But even so-- the US either needs a 5th and at least 8th or 6th and 7th to get three spots. With Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov, Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, and then pick any two healthy/having a great day of Berton/Hotarek, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larionov, Pang/Tong, Sui/Han, and even James/Cipres, I just don't see how anyone thinks 13 or less can truly happen. I think even one team in the top 8 or 9 would be a great accomplishment.

ETA- remember that both American teams have potential of starting #1 and #2 in the short program, as neither are in the top half of the rankings. As much as we'd like to think the start order has no correlation to placements/specifically PCS (or are we past that point?), they might find themselves at a big deficit following the first segment.
  2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^13 or less was a slight possibility based on some serious attrition. Not exactly a likely scenario. I am sure if P/T go to Worlds, their PCS and throws will be enough to carry them through, no matter how duct-taped he is. Same thing holds true for K/S and B/L as long as they're healthy enough to compete.
    Not sure about S/H, but I guess they wouldn't get sent unless they are reasonably ready.
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Re-posting some of my thoughts from the U.S. pairs thread, along with additional observations:

Once the rumors that Lindsay and Mark were breaking up got out, there was simultaneous speculation that Lindsay and Rockne would tryout -- it seemed almost like a done deal. I guess all concerned waited a respectable time (first to announce the Davis/ Ladwig split), and then to announce the new pairing, after the tryout.

Good luck to Lindsay and Rockne! I'm happy for them that they both seem to feel they've found a partnership for the long haul -- keeping my fingers-crossed for them. Maybe they should write-up a kind of pre-nup contract, as orbitz suggests, or give their word to each other and shake hands on it, or have a blood ritual that will be binding and non-breakable. ;)

In the IN article, I too noted that Rockne mentioned having trouble with finances. I wonder if he's been able to save up some money working while he's been off the ice this season? Hopefully, Rockne's fans will chip in and help out by making donations in his and Lindsay's name to that skaters' fund. Is it the New England Amateur Skating Foundation? I believe fans can send in donations for any skater, but they need to specify the name of the skater or skaters when they make their contribution.

It's too bad that it didn't work out for Lindsay and Mark, but Lindsay seemed to address that in the IN article with her comment that her pairing with Mark was "[at most] a two-season partnership, because of Mark's age." I wonder if Mark and Lindsay discussed that aspect in detail before joining up? E.g., that they were both agreeing to the fact that they were teaming only to see if they could make the Olympics? I also wonder what the "differences" were that they "couldn't work through after Nationals." In any case, Lindsay appears to have understandably desired a long term pairs career.

It's interesting that Rockne mentions he and Lindsay both previously trained under Todd Sand and have similar styles as a result. Lindsay is definitely the perfect height and maturity for Rockne. It was simply an unpredictable timing factor re Lindsay and Mark having teamed up prior to the break-up of Mary Beth and Rockne, so who knew Rockne would once again be available? And, I mean, how could any young experienced pairs lady of the right height resist the prospect of a longer term partner in Rockne Brubaker? OTOH, whoosh, re the timing and all, but I guess that's the way it goes these days in pairs figure skating. Rockne has had to face a lot of obstacles, including the heartache of two difficult pairs break-ups, so I'm happy for him that his personal and skating lives are looking up partnership-wise. :) He definitely deserves great things, and he's been so patient and hard-working. It is somewhat ironic that Rockne tried out and seemingly clicked with both of Mark's former partners. But that's how things sized-up.

I do hope Mark feels a deep measure of satisfaction in what he and Lindsay were able to accomplish this season, and most of all in what he and Amanda contributed for so many years to U.S. pairs and to the sport of figure skating. Thank you, Mark, and good luck in your future endeavors. :)

Indeed U.S. pairs is heating up, with so many well-developing, potentially great, and exciting partnerships. That's a good thing. Now please stay together all, at least in the top senior ranks!!!

ETA:
    BTW, I think U.S. pairs individually and collectively need to consider trying to be their own and their respective partner's savior, and then go from there. Anything else will be 'icing on the cake.' ;)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure Nationals next year will be loaded for Pairs compared to this season where it was rather sparse with D/C being healthy and Rockne back in the game and some promising Junior teams.
  5. analia

analia Member

Purely out of attractiveness, I would love to see S/K, Y/R and Donlan/Speroff do well. I always wonder why American male pair skaters all have this bald irish woodworker look. I still can't tell Coughlin, Ladwig and Barrett apart it's ridiculous.

I miss Keauna and Rockne. I really liked them.
  6. aftershocks

^^ Hmmm, Barrett and now Ladwig are no longer skating eligibly. Coughlin is the tallest of the three, and Barrett is the shortest, I believe. Coughlin and Barrett have skated with the same partner. And I think all three guys are equally handsome, personable and seemingly decent guys to be around. I've heard that Coughlin and Ladwig have great senses of humor, and even enjoyed teasing each other on occasion.

Most of all, there's nothing wrong with either bald or balding guys. Just ask Steffi Graf, the Kween, and the Duchess of Cambridge. ;) No matter guys' hairlines or the thickness of strands on their tomes, it's what they have in their hearts, minds, characters, and actions that counts.

I believe Keauna is very happy performing in skating shows these days. If you miss Keauna and Rockne together, you could try looking up some of their past performances on Youtube. And, you might also look forward to seeing Rockne skating with his new partner Lindsay this coming season.
  7. I was there!

I was there! New Member

Hahaha!

I am not super hopeful for this pairing (maybe I will be proven wrong). Go Linsday for being able to get three great male partners! Girl clearly knows how to sell herself! That being said, my best to all the teams. I cant wait to see how Nationals plays out next year!
  8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Phrase of the day. Everyone must try to work it into regular conversation at least once.
  9. SLIVER

SLIVER New Member

Well I am glad everyone is so enthusiastic and hopeful as I really like Rockney. Didnt think it would work with his last 9y old partner and I think he could have found someone a lot stronger this time around..Oh well, hope I am wrong...
  10. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Barrett is the hottest out of those 3 in my opininion, but Rockne blows them all out of the water! So glad he found a partner and didn't go the route of Drew Meekins - another talented hottie who was not so lucky with his partners and forced to stop.
  11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm not sure there is anyone else available at an acceptable height.
  12. aftershocks

Well, but who exactly? :confused:
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

USFS announced Davis/Ladwig's split in a Feb. 7th press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48971&type=media
    Davis/Brubaker's new partnership was announced today, 12 days later. Mark Ladwig tweeted today "Congrats to you both & good luck!"

Under the current GP selection "rules," they would be eligible to be selected by USFS only as a host pick for Skate America and, if they monitor well this summer, they could be assigned to a Senior B or 2 as well.

I believe skaters can only receive donations via the New England Amateur Skating Foundation if/when they register with them first.
  14. aftershocks

^^ Thanks, Sylvia.

And so, how do fans find out whether skaters are registered with NEASF or not? I know Adam Rippon and some other skaters have a section on their official site specifically mentioning that donations can be sent to NEASF in their name.
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Marley/Brubaker placed 10th at World Championships last season. If the rules are the same next year, Davis/Brubaker qualify as a "Returning Split Couple" (GP Announcement 2.2.b), based on Brubaker's results with Marley:

*If the rules stay the same, for next season, that would be in 2011/12 or 2012/13.

Paragraph 2.2.g says that if there are any spots left after guaranteed ones are assigned, hosts can choose anyone on the Top 75 SB list who has the GP minimum (unless otherwise exempt, like Split Couples/Returning Split Couples and Comeback Skaters or Teams/Return Skaters or Teams).

Marley/Brubaker's PB score from 2011/12 was 178.89 from 2012 Four Continents. That put them 11th on the Pairs PB list at the end of last season, and the score would be 10th on today's SB list (by a .09) hair over James/Cipres.

Davis/Brubaker could get two, if USFS and another host chooses them in the initial selection, one if either USFS or another host chooses them, or none, if USFS and another host skips them. If they get less than two in the initial selection, USFS could hold a spot open as a TBA and assign it to them later, or they might be chosen as a substitute, since Return Skaters/Couples are at the top of the alternates list.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

With all of the info you keep straight, it's amazing how rare it is for you to forget :respec:
  18. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Guess it does not hurt to contact NEASF and/or the skater directly or via social media, if applicable?
  19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

When I was sponsoring skaters, I just paid some of their bills for them. No tax break but it was simpler and effective. I knew exactly where the money was going, too.

(Man, I miss the dot.com boom days.)
  20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Happy for Rockne on so many accounts! Hope this new partnership works well for Lindsay & Rockne!
  21. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Yep cause thats what's gonna get us 3 spots in Sochi...Hot Guys!! BTW wouldn't hold your breath to see Y/R any time soon.

Well we can all have a sigh of relief, Rockne is here to save the day for US pairs! Lets ignore the battlefield littered with the "dead Soldiers" of both Lindsay's and Rockne's past partners...I'm sure they will get along great!

2014 US Nats:

D/C for the easy win

C/S, S/K, Z/B, D/B literally battling for the scraps, It's going down in Boston Ya'll
  22. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Remind me again how many partners John Coughlin has had, and how his current partnership came about?

D/C may well win the US title next season, but if they win easily, that won't speak well as to the standard of the event.

BTW, the poster to whom you responded did not suggest that sending better looking guys to Worlds will result in better placements for US pairs, only that it'll be more aesthetically pleasing for her to watch.
  23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Manly, yes, but we like it, too.
  24. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm predicting D/C will not have an easy time winning. I'm betting the fight for the title will be fierce next season.
  25. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

IMO, we have a lot of promising young teams coming along. Here's hoping they just don't break their partnerships in the next few years.
  26. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

;) Thank you for the memories. That made me smile.
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I agree.

I think there are a number of young Pairs who are stylistically compatible and in similar places in their careers. If personal relationships continue to go well or don't but are handled gracefully, going into the next Olympic cycle, it could be the deepest group of pairs we've had in a long time.
  28. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

What do you all think are the chances that a U.S pair could medal at worlds before 2018?
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think first things first: what are the chances that US pairs could qualify three teams by 2018? I think those odds are better than a medal, but, on the other hand, T/T surprised everyone last year.

I think a lot depends on who retires. In 2013-14, I'd expect some faux retires to stay, the ones who say that Sochi is/is probably the end, but think that the field is open for them to win an elusive title or medal and stay on. There are a lot of permutations for what happens if P/T, S/S, and V/T stay/don't stay, but I'd expect D/R, B/L, maybe S/K depending on what happens with V/T and K/S after 2014, to be fighting for the podium post-Sochi, with M-T/M and B/H right behind them. If B/L really go to Vasiliev, and they're healthy, they will be well-oiled machines by the time they get to 2018, with her grace enhanced by their greater consistency. (Hopefully, Vasiliev has gotten over his Marton phase.).
  30. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

This made me :lol::lol::lol:
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Might I add Baldwin to the list...
  31. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth! :lol:

Best of luck to the new pair!
  32. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Pretty good. If we assume that Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong all retire after Sochi, I think there's definitely a better chance that some U.S. teams can have international success during the next quad -- perhaps even a world medal. Not that it will be easy, but much more likely than it will be this season or next.

I'm excited for the Lindsay/Rockne partnership! I really liked him with Mary Beth, but I think he and Lindsay will be able to do a wider range of programs and styles.
  33. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Certainly good if pairs stay together and remain relatively injury free!
  34. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

If you guys dislike Caydee's skating, wait till you closely watch Davis. Don't mean to be overly critical, but Rockne is a much better and prettier skater than Lindsay. You can't have a team where the guy is the star.
  35. figureit

figureit New Member

I don't always agree with your comments...but on this you are spot on. Just wondering why no one else has seemed to comment about this? She is very blocky and no pointed toes or stretched pair lift positions and I understand there are some issues there. IN this case the guy will be the star and you are right it doesn't work...the girl is the photo the guy the frame or it is an unbalanced pair period.

I don't usually comment on body's and girls especially pair skaters because I think it is horrible to make a girl be "thin" or a certain way to be a good pair...but I have seen that Caitlin has lost sooo much weight recently and that Gretchen and Andrew when they first started the first year to the second year how much weight she lost...I just worry they will focus on Lindsey being pair girl "thin" and it worries me...she has a gymnast body not super thin and it does affect her lines on the ice. I just worry for her future albeit premature...I just hope it does not happen or there is some expectation she will morph into a super thin partner..instead of embracing her natural frame...

Hopefully they make it work and rather than it just gelling quick and being comfortable you look for line, and a look that is enhancing in nature..that creates emotion not just within but from others and I don't see it with this team..but hope I am wrong.
  36. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

SCIMECA AND KNIERIM!
  37. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I like S/K as much as anyone, but I've followed them both on various social media sites and I just have no hope that they'll stay together past the end of their romantic relationship. They just seem very young, in love and impulsive.

Hopefully Davis/Brubaker are entering into this relationship as two adults with very similar goals and expectations, but reading this icenetwork article didn't fill me with hope. I get the feeling, just reading between the lines, that if they don't make the Olympic team next year, or at the very least have an amazing season and perhaps fall just short, they won't continue together for another season or another 4 years. That's a lot of pressure to put on a first year partnership.
  38. figureit

figureit New Member

39. SLIVER

SLIVER New Member

figureit and johndockley92, this is what I was hinting at earlier! Sad to say but I really don't see her potential at all, especially compared to Keauna. I know there is apparently no one else available but I felt he really rushed into his partnership with Marley, who was ridiculously young for him and now Davis?? Really?
  40. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

YAY! Rockne is back! That's all I have to add. :)