New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting from the U.S. Pairs thread:
    Excerpts:

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Good. I hope that they will work with the 2018 Olys in Korea in mind. America doesn't need another shortsighted and 'disposable' pair just looking for instant-gratification one year before Olys.

3. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sylvia. They are training with Caitlin and Josh?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The upcoming summer competition season for pairs should be exciting!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Yeah for Rockne!!! It's nice to hear that they clicked immediately on the first day of tryout!!

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's great news.
    All good fortune to the new pair!

7. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

YAYYYYYY! I've been waiting for this!

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Could the U.S. get three pairs spots?

9. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

They all say that. :) Realistically, with her dumping Mark and him partnerless and running out of time, they were both desperate for anything they could get. However, it is great that he can skate with a girl who has real Sr pairs experience and is only 6 yrs younger. She's less likely to feel overwhelmed by this situation.

I thought it was interesting that Rockne mentioned that his finances were an issue for him in continuing to 2018. Stuff like that is always sad to me. I just wish it was easier for these athletes to focus on skating, but it just doesn't seem realistic in today's world.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Themi, Ladwig and now Rockne....she is a very lucky girl.

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thrilled for both of them! I really hope this works out long-term, since I liked both of them in the past with their prior partners.

12. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

In regards to the 2014 Olympics? Simply put: no chance. However, with the current amount of teams competing at 18 and both US teams likely to make the free skate (top 16), one team would have to finish at least 12th-- which I think is surely possible to maintain two teams for 2014.

13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great news! Very happy for Rockne and Lindsay.

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

On the plus side - She's the right height, age and comes equipped with a nice amount of experience. She also doesn't seem to be too much of a head case with SBS jumps. Finally, she has decent enough extension.

I'm glad they got together this early. They have a 5 month jump on the first summer competitions which is yet another advantage.

Does anyone have any opinions on Johnny Johns as a pairs coach? I got the impression he could be a little 'rough' at times.

15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

There's a slight chance. The Chinese pairs don't sound good, and who knows about Russia's #2 and #3 with injuries. It's doubtful that the U.S. will get 3 pairs, but there is a very teeny tiny chance.

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Nice to know they are thinking long term already. It will be a very interesting battle for the Olympic spots next season. :watch:

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe they both should sign a prenup type of contract: you're committed to be my skating partner to x number of years, otherwise you will have to pay x amount of dollars for each year that you broke the contract. :)

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Agreed. A lot of it would depend on which Chinese pairs actually go to Worlds and how competition-ready they would be (not that the Chinese federation would ever 'encourage' them to show up if they're not fully recovered ahem :shuffle:). In case both P/T and S/H are out, that would open up the field a bit. Factor in K/S and B/L dealing with injuries, as well and who knows what might happen? Obviously, those 3 spots would depend on much better pairs not showing up to Worlds, not so much anything skating-related. 2 spots is doable, regardless of who competes.

19. madm

madm Active Member

Wow, what a month for Rockne!!! He got a new pair partner AND a fiance in less than 3 weeks time!

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Geez, maybe we should let them skate together for a while and get accustomed to each other before we start labeling them as the Saviours of Sochi.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think P/T will be expected to out there on crutches to guarantee two spots for Sochi.

I love this new pairing. They both have an althletic, bold style, and he won't look like he's skating with a doll.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good luck to them on a lasting partnership

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wishing them all the best and MANY years of injury-free success!!

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm glad Brubaker finally found a partner, and that she's relatively close to him in age. Can't wait for the obligatory fluffs & stories about him competing against his fiancee.

If they end up beating out D/C for an Olympic spot, I suspect a lot of people here will consider them the Saviors of Sochi, regardless of other results :shuffle:

25. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This board has hyped Yankowskas/Reagan up for a year. Time to hype someone else :)

26. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

With S/K, Z/B, and now Rockne and Lindsey, I'm really getting excited for US pairs again! Congrats to the new team!

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

No Rockne pairing would ever be as good as Gracie/Rockne. So what that she's the same height and has no pairs experience? She's done as a singles skater until the next 7-triple performance, anyway ;)

28. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Next year's Nationals should be very inreresting. Many well hyped and well placed teams, all competing for 2 (probably) sets of olympic berths.

29. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Davis & Brubaker. It has a nice ring to it. :cool: All my best to them for a very successful partnership!

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I want to be excited. But we still have the post-worlds break-up season to get through.