New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Re-posting from the U.S. Pairs thread:
    Excerpts:
  2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Good. I hope that they will work with the 2018 Olys in Korea in mind. America doesn't need another shortsighted and 'disposable' pair just looking for instant-gratification one year before Olys.
  3. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sylvia. They are training with Caitlin and Josh?
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

The upcoming summer competition season for pairs should be exciting!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Yeah for Rockne!!! It's nice to hear that they clicked immediately on the first day of tryout!!
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's great news.
    All good fortune to the new pair!
  7. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

YAYYYYYY! I've been waiting for this!
  8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Could the U.S. get three pairs spots?
  9. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

They all say that. :) Realistically, with her dumping Mark and him partnerless and running out of time, they were both desperate for anything they could get. However, it is great that he can skate with a girl who has real Sr pairs experience and is only 6 yrs younger. She's less likely to feel overwhelmed by this situation.

I thought it was interesting that Rockne mentioned that his finances were an issue for him in continuing to 2018. Stuff like that is always sad to me. I just wish it was easier for these athletes to focus on skating, but it just doesn't seem realistic in today's world.
  10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Themi, Ladwig and now Rockne....she is a very lucky girl.
  11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thrilled for both of them! I really hope this works out long-term, since I liked both of them in the past with their prior partners.
  12. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

In regards to the 2014 Olympics? Simply put: no chance. However, with the current amount of teams competing at 18 and both US teams likely to make the free skate (top 16), one team would have to finish at least 12th-- which I think is surely possible to maintain two teams for 2014.
  13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great news! Very happy for Rockne and Lindsay.
  14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

On the plus side - She's the right height, age and comes equipped with a nice amount of experience. She also doesn't seem to be too much of a head case with SBS jumps. Finally, she has decent enough extension.

I'm glad they got together this early. They have a 5 month jump on the first summer competitions which is yet another advantage.

Does anyone have any opinions on Johnny Johns as a pairs coach? I got the impression he could be a little 'rough' at times.
  15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

There's a slight chance. The Chinese pairs don't sound good, and who knows about Russia's #2 and #3 with injuries. It's doubtful that the U.S. will get 3 pairs, but there is a very teeny tiny chance.
  16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Nice to know they are thinking long term already. It will be a very interesting battle for the Olympic spots next season. :watch:
  17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe they both should sign a prenup type of contract: you're committed to be my skating partner to x number of years, otherwise you will have to pay x amount of dollars for each year that you broke the contract. :)
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Agreed. A lot of it would depend on which Chinese pairs actually go to Worlds and how competition-ready they would be (not that the Chinese federation would ever 'encourage' them to show up if they're not fully recovered ahem :shuffle:). In case both P/T and S/H are out, that would open up the field a bit. Factor in K/S and B/L dealing with injuries, as well and who knows what might happen? Obviously, those 3 spots would depend on much better pairs not showing up to Worlds, not so much anything skating-related. 2 spots is doable, regardless of who competes.
  19. madm

madm Active Member

Wow, what a month for Rockne!!! He got a new pair partner AND a fiance in less than 3 weeks time!
  20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Geez, maybe we should let them skate together for a while and get accustomed to each other before we start labeling them as the Saviours of Sochi.
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think P/T will be expected to out there on crutches to guarantee two spots for Sochi.

I love this new pairing. They both have an althletic, bold style, and he won't look like he's skating with a doll.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good luck to them on a lasting partnership
  23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wishing them all the best and MANY years of injury-free success!!
  24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm glad Brubaker finally found a partner, and that she's relatively close to him in age. Can't wait for the obligatory fluffs & stories about him competing against his fiancee.

If they end up beating out D/C for an Olympic spot, I suspect a lot of people here will consider them the Saviors of Sochi, regardless of other results :shuffle:
  25. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This board has hyped Yankowskas/Reagan up for a year. Time to hype someone else :)
  26. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

With S/K, Z/B, and now Rockne and Lindsey, I'm really getting excited for US pairs again! Congrats to the new team!
  27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

No Rockne pairing would ever be as good as Gracie/Rockne. So what that she's the same height and has no pairs experience? She's done as a singles skater until the next 7-triple performance, anyway ;)
  28. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Next year's Nationals should be very inreresting. Many well hyped and well placed teams, all competing for 2 (probably) sets of olympic berths.
  29. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Davis & Brubaker. It has a nice ring to it. :cool: All my best to them for a very successful partnership!
  30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I want to be excited. But we still have the post-worlds break-up season to get through.
  31. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Agree, will people never learn?

Now D/C are chopped liver who will be beat by a team who is together less than 10 months before nationals?

Yeah, look how that turned out.

Hopefully all the US pairs teams will still be togther after worlds.
  32. SLIVER

SLIVER New Member

Lyndsay Davis i.e the partner of Ladwig??? Please say it isnt so :scream:
  33. Zemgirl

Note that my sentence began with an "if". But it's hardly unprecedented for a new pair to progress and achieve pretty good results quickly. Leaving aside superstar pairings like Volosozhar/Trankov - Gerboldt/Enbert were 4th at Euros about a year after pairing up, and Berton/Hotarek were 11th at their first Worlds, also about a year after they began skating together. Both Gerboldt and Berton were new to pairs when the partnerships began. James/Cipres were 6th at Euros about a year and a half after their partnership began, and in this case it was Morgan who had no pairs experience. So I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that two experienced pairs skaters who have had some success can make a go of it.
  34. julieann

It's not unprecedented but the teams you mentioned are hardly the rule. The depth in pairs in France and Italy is very shallow. In 2011 B/H won nationals because there were no other competitors. G/E did do well out of the gate but the only reason they even got to go to Euros was because V/T couldn't go, they really didn't earn it by placing at nationals.

She has done ok with her former partners and he (who turns 27 shortly) has done well with his; but he’s also been without a partner for a year.

D/B can do very well their first year but as of right now I'm not putting them ahead of D/C just yet.
  35. Zemgirl

What does French/Italian Nationals have to do with it? Did I discuss their Nationals results as some huge achievement? I pointed out that all three pairs were able to do fairly well at the international level despite having had limited time together, and in the case of half of each partnership, limited pairs experience (not to mention that Vanessa James had only been doing pairs for three years when she and Cipres teamed up). And that's without bringing up V/T, because obviously D/B are not at that level, nor will they ever be.

You'd think the US pairs field is at the level of Russian or Canadian Nationals. Seriously, it's not an impossible goal to make the international team after a year together considering their experience and the level of competition they can expect there. In fact, Denney/Coughlin won US Nats after less than a year together, and it's not because they are the heirs to Shen and Zhao.
  36. julieann

Denney has been 11th and 8th at her previous worlds (not to mention going to the Olympics) and Coughlin was 6th and 8th. Now together they are rather impressive; and so are C/S and S/K. To say D/B can beat really impressive teams in their first year may be true but they have only been together for tryouts and no one has seen an element much less a program.

Don't forget even with McLaughlin, Brubaker failed to make the Olympic team coming in 5th at nationals; so to think D/B are the sweethearts of the US team is a tad premature. I would at least wait for a summer competition.
  37. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

They announced their split the week after US Nationals. So, Lindsay Davis, partnerless until now.

Hope they can get some GP assignments to give them some good experience in the fall prior to nationals.
  38. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Good for them, can't wait to see them compete :cool:

Side note: Am I the only who thinks that Lindsay looks like Paula Abdul?
  39. Zemgirl

Again - I started what I wrote with an "if", which hardly refers to a certainty or even a high likelihood. It was a jokingly made statement - though I don't see it as an impossibility for a two-time US Champion and his new partner to defeat D/B, C/S and S/K, who are not exactly in the league of Savchenko/Szolkowy, or Duhamel/Radford, or Bazarova/Larionov. I'd save the really impressive description for pairs that actually are really impressive, and let's be honest: with no Worlds medal in more than a decade, none of the recent or current US pairs qualify. If the US field was the equivalent of the Russian or even the Canadian one, then I would say that there was basically no chance for a new pair with that level of prior accomplishments. But that's not the case, and there are a number of pairs who can qualify for the Olympic team out of 2014 Nationals. Perhaps there will be a somewhat surprising result, as was the case in 2010, when Evora/Ladwig qualified and were the top US pair in the Olympics.

I wish them all the best. I hope each of them has finally found the right partner.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  40. julieann

I see, well as long as you were joking...:shuffle:

At any rate, I'm glad that he found a partner and she found one that she likes.