New Test for Computers: Grading Essays at College Level

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jeffisjeff, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/s...s-at-college-level.html?_r=0&pagewanted=print

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

Sounds like one big grammar checking software to me. As far as being used for college level work? Maybe for 100 level classes. But really, isn't grading papers what TA's are for? :lol:

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The university where I teach has been looking into software like this for some time. The software they've been talking about is much more than a grammar checker. It checks content using AI, much like the software they talk about in this article.

They've also looked at doing things like hiring people whose entire job is grading student work, to free up faculty time to actually teach, and to interact with students one-on-one.

They're looking at this not just for 100 level courses, but for all courses.

Faculty at my uni aren't yet sure what we think, because we really don't have much info yet. But I admit, I'm intrigued by the possibilities.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

This interests me because there is a big movement in my state to get rid of remedial courses for college students. Getting rid of remedial courses will not get rid of students needing remedial classes. This could be a really cost-efficient way to get some students up to speed on things like organizing a paragraph or a paper, stating ideas clearly, and using complete, structured sentences.

I don't know how well the software could assess the quality of ideas, but software can definitely assess the elements I listed.