New Tara Lipinski interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TheIronLady, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A refreshing interview. I loved that many of the questions were not the typical safe stuff you've heard asked a million times already, and Tara seemed quite open to answer them honestly.
  3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I like this part:
    :lol:
  4. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

5. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

:mad:
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Back when Dave Lease posted on GGMB, he posted "interviews" that were not really interviews. I'd wait a bit before believing these words are Tara's.
  7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Seriously. That had to come from one of the most absurd advocates of eating disorders.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure sure that the actual word "fat" was actually used back then toward the 13 years old Tara. I'm sure there were suggestions back then that maybe the dress didn't flatter her, and perhaps the Lapinksi interpreted it as fat.
  9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That is unfounded, and these are Lipinski's responses from a phone interview conducted yesterday. If you want to discredit someone, then you can start with me.

Furthermore, Lipinski is not shy about having her lawyers request inaccurate statements be taken down from websites. She has done so in the past. I assure you this interview was legitimate and the fact that it will not be removed will lend more than enough support to its validity.
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Tara is a breath of fresh air.
  11. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

It seems clear from the interactions between Aunt Joyce and Tara Lipinski on Twitter, that he did in fact schedule and conduct an interview with her.
  12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

TL: I haven’t really tried triples since I’ve been back. Actually, scratch that! I did a triple toe after I got back from the tribute show in December. I’m not letting that get away! I did do one.

:lol: Once a Tara always a Tara :p
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

There was some good info not in Edge of Glory. I am sure that was what the book referred to. And she talked about Kwan having a flutz. There was a real "No she didn't!" about that in that book and reports and articles at the time.

I do hear her in her commentary talking about why Miki Ando for example was not doing her hardest jumps against Kim and thought maybe there could have been more about that.
  14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I love her regret over not having a Lalique crystal trophy for her house. :lol:
  15. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

"I hate Lalique"
  16. zippy

zippy Active Member

17. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Great interview! I'm surprised so many people hated her Olympic SP dress, I still think it was gorgeous.

I wish some of the current US ladies could have just a little bit of Tara's drive.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan New Member

What an interview, this is huge. I must say I have a new found respect for Tara, she had unbelievable drive and determination and that, IMO is what helped her to be competitive with the likes of Michelle Kwan.
    Michelle and Tara were heaven for skating fans, I wish it could have lasted longer.
  19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure. She sounds in this interview like she didn't have a lot of fun having to be that determined in the face of all that pressure.

Also interesting to read that she apparently didn't have much life outside of skating. IIRC a lot of the stories about her at that time talked about how much she wanted to do what she was doing and how she did a lot of things that other kids her age did.
  20. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I actually found myself liking Tara as a result of this interview. I didn't think that was possible, as I was a total Kwan fanatic in 1998 and thought Tara had stolen her crown. But she was honest and very well-spoken in this interview. I really enjoyed reading it.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Is there a part 3? If so, I hope he asks her what she's been doing the last 8 years, because I really have no idea. I'm glad she seems to like commentating and has been getting into that recently. Reading this interview made me sad in a way tho; it's hard to peak as a teenager.

Also, I love the picture of Michelle and Tara that was obviously taken in somewhat recent years at an event. Was that at RISE?
  22. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Great interview, fascinating to read how much pressure she felt during her competitions, especially Olympics. Thanks for posting the links!
  23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Aunt Joyce's blog or comments but I must say he did a really good job with this interview. A lot of insight into the mindset of a top competitor...I learned quite a bit. Also props to TL for being more candid about her feelings.

One of the best skater interviews I've read in a long time.
    Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Love Tara, like her even more now than when she won OGM. Maybe she was too young. Her commentary this year has been excellent.
    Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I enjoyed the interview very much, and Tara's personality shines through it wonderfully.

To be brutally honest, I was certainly not a particular fan during her competitive or post-competitive skating year (does the posting name give you a clue?). Having said that, I am very happy to see that Tara is an articulate, intelligent young woman who is still young enough to have quite a future ahead of her.

I certainly wish her well and look forward to see her growth and what she chooses from her career options (of which, fortunately for her and to her credit, there are many). :)
  26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I liked the section about Nagano and where she discussed her LP - the last 3-3 seq. looked a little botched cuz she went too high from excitement on the 3toe. Also, finished off the music cuz she went overboard on the spins :lol:
  27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

A whole lot of "freaking out" went on. I wonder if it still does. The one thing that bothered me about Tara's skating (other than the artistry) was the smallness of her jumps. She got so little height that I always wondered whether she would get all the revolutions in. Probably would hurt her if she were competing today.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

^^^Not still bitter or anything...
  29. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Were the jumps tiny, or is it just because Tara herself was tiny? In any case, she rotated quickly, so if anyone was going to get credit for a 3loop-3loop today, it would be Tara (the 15-year-old version, of course). :)
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Yes, the picture was taken at "Rise".
  31. miki88

miki88 New Member

Great interview! I am a big Kwan fan but I have a lot of respect for Tara as a competitor. Her rivalry with Michelle made the 1998 Olympics the most exciting games for me.
  32. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The 2A was the worst offender. Tara skimmed off the ice on the jump and never jumped up into it. It's interesting that she admitted to having a sever flutz. She said that Callagan worked on it to make the jump bigger, so it would have been interesting if she had expanded on that.

Seeing how often Miki clean-looking 3lutz-3loop combo got downgraded in the past, I'm not sure if Tara's 3lp-3lp wouldn't have suffered from the same is she was competing now.
  33. zippy

zippy Active Member

Somehow her jumps seemed a little bigger in person than on tv. Not so much that awful axel, but other jumps like the salchow seemed surprisingly decent height-wise (though still maybe nothing to write home about...). And Tara's flutz was never as horrendous as Hughes' was, at least. I wonder if Tara has ever considered coaching? I like her commentating, but the thing that I like about it is that she's so very OCD about technique and is good at seeing problems with the skaters' jumps. I bet she could become a hell of a technical coach if she wanted to.
  34. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I think everybody "likes Tara now" because she's telling the truth after so many years of fudging it.
  35. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

great interview!!! and great answers from Tara!!!
  36. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

She has grown up it seems and it suits her. I always thought she was fun, it's just that she seemed self absorbed. Maybe they can get her and Michele to do the SOI tour.
  37. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I've always thought Tara rocked. Even as a 14 year old she was bright and articulate. I'm always thrilled when we have a U.S. lady who is a fierce competitior. We haven't had one in so long I'm really missing Tara. None of the current crop has the eye of the tiger like she did and the ability to go to a certain place inside when they compete. Very special qualities. Wish Tara would skate professionally for sure. Her skating was lovely on the Today show last winter. Interesting how she admitted she is prone to rash gut level decisions and that she stopped skating because she enjoyed feeling normal for awhile. I hope they plug her to commentate on the Olympics next time they roll around.
  38. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting this! I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed reading an interview quite as much. :respec:
  39. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

40. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

OMG, I just snorted!