New Skating Reality Show

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by n*ice mom, Dec 12, 2012.

1. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I bet it doesn't show the real side of skating, just some over dramatized idiots playacting for the camera.

Just once I'd like them to make a reality show that follows a bunch of skaters around for a season, no faked histronics, no over-done drama, just real training, real views. Skating in itself is difficult enough and tough enough that that would be a great show.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It looks deliciously trashy. The moms seems to have the right amount of delusion to make for good, low-brow television.

4. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Exactly this was done a few yrs ago on US TV. Don't remember much of the details except that Danielle Kahle (sp?) was one of the skaters. They followed a group of up-and-coming US girls. Others may remember more details.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

"Jersey Ice" thread in the TV Alerts forum (includes NJ article links): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?86100-Jersey-on-Ice-TLC-Premiers-Dec-12-12

misskarne, I recommend checking out "Ice Diaries" on YouTube (not sure if all 6 of the hour-long episodes are online, though). It was very well done overall, I thought. The one bad thing was the last episode (2006 US Nationals) was broadcast at a weird time or date and so many people missed seeing it!

ETA link to a video playlist of the first 3 "Ice Diaries" episodes (I wonder if the remaining clips were deleted due to a copyright issue?): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C83C95D2F4F7786

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

That would be tonight (Wednesday) not Thursday.

8. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Dance moms was scripted and typical reality tv bs, but the kids were talented and worth watching...not sure anyone will watch these kids doing single axels. I'd never let my kids participate in this crap unless they are doing it for a future acting career and are fully aware of the shadiness of the producers.

9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Now it's time for skating moms?!

10. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

TLC did both shows. I'm sad they are following the Dance Moms formula.

Also, I believe USFS refused to sanction this show, so any parent who signed their kids on for this has no effectively killed any future hopes for anything beyond ISI. I also think those coaches are not USFS recognized. So in short, everyone sold out for a quick buck.

11. starryxskies

starryxskies New Member

I hope this brings interest to figure skating and not turn the casual fans off from even watching the 2 hour competition coverages on tv

Having that said... I wish a network would make a tv show based on figure skating. Kind of like what the CW did with competitive cheerleading in Hellcats.

12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I believe that is correct. I remember USFS sending out e-mails to club officers warning people that they would lose eligibility if they participated.

A few years ago, MTV had a reality show focusing on 3 competitive skaters in the Philly area, which I thought was overdramatized, but what would you expect from MTV. The Ice Diaries series Sylvia mentioned above was well-done for the most part and I wish a network would invest in something like that again.

13. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

It's what we do best in Jersey! :cheer:

Next stop on the Sellout Express: Mayor of Newark! :cheer: :cheer:

14. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

This appears to be a worthless television program.

15. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

If Ashley Wagner, or Charlie White were in a reality tv show on a major network and they were taping their lives up to the Olympic games, a lot of people would be watching...The usfsa needs to me more innovative and up-to-date with the promotion of the sport. Wishful thinking...

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Would people really be watching?

Plus, would Olympic-caliber skaters really want to be filmed in the lead up to the Olympics? It seems disruptive to me.

I think the USFS and their skaters have done a great job using social media to promote themselves and the sport. The problem is that figure skating is a niche sport with no pro circuit to promote it. I personally hated those fluff specials and jokes that they called competition, but television audiences seemed to eat that stuff up.

17. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

Oh God, I couldn't stand those. Amazing, though, the impact they had on making lifelong careers for those skaters. There are so many skaters who came after that should have had the name and face recognition of a Kristi or Scott, that never will. Why did the pro competitions end anyway?

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The first season of Johnny Weir's show detailed his competitive season and working towards the Olympics. IIRC. There was a lot of other stuff as well, but I remember them showing him training and at one of the grand prix events.

The hard part is that I doubt most major networks would show a reality show like that - they'll barely show the competiitions. But I think there could be a place for a high quality show on a smaller network. I recall Ice Diaries was fairly well done and while it's never going to be real "reality", they definitely showed the sacrifices the families made, the problem with injuries and the difficulty of making it to the top. They tried to promote it as which one of these would make their Olympic dreams come true, and reallly none of them were close that year - so that looked a bit silly, but I thought overall it wasn't bad.

19. lulu

lulu New Member

Sounds like my kind of show!

:p

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is this that Ice Moms show that Lifetime was supposed to air?

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Dance Moms doesn't do the dance world any favors, and I would think Ice Moms will be the same. Skating doesn't need negativity, it needs a shot in the arm. I mentioned this on another thread, but I am friends with a lovely lady orthopaedist who was one of the students and company dancers from the Dance Moms' studio. She said the teacher and her behavior was NOTHING like the show, and it was all for TV. She said the owner/teacher is a really nice woman and she couldn't remember any incident where the young dancers were abused or mistreated.

My answer to that is....so why would this woman want the world to think of her the way she is portrayed on that show? has she no pride? Dignity? Is notoriety and money all that matters?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  23. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

oOOOooo i love the worst of the worst reality trash!

I need a link to watch this!

24. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Impression? Horrible. Loud-mouthed women yelling at each other - charming.

25. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

If the kids are ISI members and not USFS members at the time of making the show (taking the fact that they made money off the show out of the equation because I don't know the impact of that), how would their participation affect future USFS memberships? Unless things have really changed since my days of doing ISI, USFS does not monitor the skating activities of non-members.

26. Nan

Nan Just me

It wasn't quite the train-wreck I thought it woudl be, but it's got potential. ;)

27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I didn't think so either, but I wish those women would either coach their own kids or leave their coach alone. That didn't sound like a good idea from the start. The show could be much better but I guess they want the ratings more than actual reality.