New Skating Novel - Life On the Edge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lovesdance, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

2. TanithandBenFan

For a special Mother's Day promotion, the ebook is on sale for 99 cents on Amazon, B&N, and Astraeapress.com!
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  3. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

I just got this last night and read it (couldn't put it down once I started!), and I thought the story was great - my only gripe, and this is a relatively minor one, is that the text in the e-book was hard set to some dark grey color in many parts of the book, forcing me to switch from the "white on black" view I normally use on my Kindle Fire to using a light background, because otherwise the text was basically invisible and unreadable.
  4. TanithandBenFan

Thanks so much!!!! That's weird about the text. I just got a Kindle this week (the very basic one), and it looks okay on mine, but I've heard of some formatting issues with the Kindle file on a couple of other people's devices (like the first word of a paragraph being separated from the rest). Very bizarre. I'm sorry it was so quirky!
  5. TanithandBenFan

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Can't wait to read it!! :cheer2:
  7. TanithandBenFan

8. TanithandBenFan

Posted a new teaser from the sequel-in-progress.
  9. TanithandBenFan

Received a tentative release date of December 2012 for the sequel, EDGE OF THE PAST! Here's the blurb:

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read it!!!
  11. TanithandBenFan

12. lulu

lulu New Member

Just saw the thread, TanithandBenfan, I'm so happy for you! :respec:
    You should be so happy and proud of yourself. :cheer:

Now off to check your blog...

:)
  13. TanithandBenFan

Thanks, lulu! It's been a crazy adventure!
  14. lulu

lulu New Member

I'll bet :) Given that your user name is TanithandBenFan, will your third book take place in the ever :drama: world of ice dance? ;)
  15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

If she tried to write realistically about ice dance, the casual readers would never believe her! :drama:
  16. lulu

lulu New Member

Ha! so true. She can always do what Junot Diaz did in "The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" and include footnotes and references to a fictional story. ;)
  17. TanithandBenFan

One of the ideas I have for the third book is to center the story around Aubrey, one of the secondary characters who's an ice dancer. :) The only thing about ice dance is the skating action sequences wouldn't have quite the same level of tension as they do for pairs. Of course, there can always be disasters in ice dance, but the non-skating fan might not be as excited reading about rhumba patterns and circular step sequences. :lol:

Ain't that the truth! :lol:
  18. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to ask you ever since I started reading the book and realized that we were talking about 6.0. Why did you decide to set the first book in 2002? Since the SLC scandal didn't happen as it did in real life in your novel, will you deal with COP?
  19. TanithandBenFan

I've had the idea for the book in my head since 2004 or 2005, so I always envisioned the story around the 2002 Olympics. And I wanted to use Nationals in Boston, so I had to stick with that time period. It made it a lot easier that the 6.0 system was still in place. I do want to stay true to the sport and use COP in future books, but I'm :scream: at the thought right now. :lol:
  20. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

All I have to say is, I was so engrossed in the first story that I will attempt to be first in line to get the kindle version of the sequel! Keep them coming! Sometimes I feel like there are no other skating fiction novels to read, and I'm a total junkie... I'm sure I'm not alone too!! Very much looking forward to the release of the new book!!! Congrats!!
  21. TanithandBenFan

Thanks so much! I feel the same way and wish there were more skating fiction books out there. It's one of the reasons I'd like to write more stories set in the skating world.
  22. TanithandBenFan

23. TanithandBenFan

The sequel will be released next week! I posted the cover on my blog!

Life on the Edge is currently on sale for $0.99 in celebration of the sequel's release. :)
  24. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

So anticipating the sequel! :cheer2:

Honestly, people, if you haven't already read Life on the Edge, what in the world are you waiting for!!

End Fanboy rant.
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Just bought a copy for my kindle. :cheer2:
  26. TanithandBenFan

Aww, thanks for the rant! :)
  27. TanithandBenFan

Bumping up this old thread because Life on the Edge is one of the featured books of June for my publisher's book club, which means it's available for free. :) If you'd like a copy, here's the link to the Astraea Press Book Club on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/319805601428268/. All you have to do is email the coordinator, and she'll send you a copy of the book.

And a quick update on the final book in the trilogy - tentative release date is early November! :) Thank you so much to everyone who's read the first two books!!
  28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Great news!! :cheer2:
  29. TanithandBenFan

Now that I've finished the final book in the trilogy, I've started writing some scenes from Life on the Edge from Sergei's POV. I'll be posting more over the next few months. :)

Dinner Party
    Dinner Party Part II

Both Life on the Edge & Edge of the Past are currently on sale for 99 cents. :)
  30. TanithandBenFan

I posted a sneak peek at a scene in the upcoming third and final book in the series, Fighting for the Edge. This book takes place around the 2006 Olympics.