New Skating Novel - Life On the Edge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lovesdance, Jan 4, 2012.

1. lovesdance

lovesdance Member

Life On the Edge is a new novel written by our own TanithandBenFan! It's available now as an e-book on Amazon and Barnes & Noble (paperback version will follow soon).

All the links can be found here:

Life On the Edge

I've read the book and love it. I may be a bit biased...but I hope you guys enjoy it too. :)

Here's the synopsis of the novel:

Nineteen-year-old Emily is new to pairs skating, but she and her partner Chris have a big dream–to be the first American team to win Olympic gold. Their young coach Sergei, who left Russia after a mysterious end to his skating career, believes they can break through and make history.​

Emily and Chris are on track to be top contenders at the 2002 Winter Games. But when forbidden feelings spark between Emily and Sergei, broken trust and an unexpected enemy threaten to derail Emily’s dreams of gold.​

2. DarkEyes

DarkEyes New Member

Wow, that sounds soooo good! Congrats, TanithandBenFan!!

3. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Thanks so much for the promo, lovesdance!!!!

DarkEyes, I hope you enjoy the book! It's a feel-good story that people of all ages can enjoy. :) Having a book published has been a life-long dream, so it's been an exciting few days! I'm so grateful to everyone who's bought it so far. If you do read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it be here or through a review on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. :)

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Congrats TanithandBenFan!! :cheer:

I can't wait to read it!!

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Let us know when it is available in paperback for those of us who don't ebook!

6. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

TG--you can download ereaders to your computer. :)

7. Theatregirl1122

I'm aware of that, but I choose not to. When I'm on the computer, I'm usually doing other things.

8. TanithandBenFan

TG, the paperback will hopefully be out in March. :) I'm anxious to hold the paper copy in my hands!

9. Theatregirl1122

Excellent! Can't wait!

10. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I just bought the kindle version for my iPad and I look forward to reading it. Congrats!

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really something to get a book published! :respec: You must be so excited.

Who is the publisher? Just curious. :)

12. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Congratulations, I remember it was a good read!

13. TanithandBenFan

Astraea Press. They're a small publisher but have grown quite a bit since opening a year ago. :)

Jjane45, the book has changed a lot since I posted the link here :) I tightened it up and completely changed the second half of the book ;)

14. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ok, I'm SO buying that. Thanks for giving me my first free-reading book of the semester!

15. TanithandBenFan

I love seeing people excited about it! :) It's getting great reviews so far! My publisher doesn't do any advertising since they're still on the small side, so word-of-mouth and social media are two of the biggest ways I'm trying to get the book in front of people. If you read it and enjoy it, please spread the word! :)

16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Jennifer,
    just wondering if you might be having the book done up in ePub format for people up here in Canada who don't use Kindle. I thought about purchasing a Kindle but was told it limits me my reading material.
    If it's already in ePub format, would you mind providing a link? I'd love to purchase a copy for my Kobo eReader.

17. TanithandBenFan

If you buy it through my publisher's website, it offers you a variety of file choices to download after purchase (ePub, PDF, MOBI, PRC, etc). Here's the link to my book on their site. Let me know if it works! Thanks so much for checking it out! :)

18. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i read it when you posted the links here a while back- did you change it much? it was a quick and light read :) i looked forward to reading the next pieces that you posted!

my only beef was the skate they used on the front- a champion skater skates they are not!! but i am a detail gal;)

hope it does well for you and hey we are avaible to pre read your next book too!!:lol:

19. TanithandBenFan

It's changed a lot! The characters are the same, but I rewrote much of the book after working with some writing critique partners. Some of the events are the same, but I think you'd find this version to be much more polished. :) You should check it out. ;)

My friend said the same thing about the skate, but she couldn't find a good photo with an elite skater's skate to use. :)

20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't sure how much you "hang" around here so I fired off an email shortly after I made my post here. Much to my surprise, I already received an email from them telling me pretty much what you said. Now where did I put my credit card ...

OK, I placed my order and I have it in the format I supposedly need but my program doesn't see it ...
    le sigh ...
    guess I'm off to learn how to add an ePub file to my Kobo :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  21. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I just bought and downloaded it. Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to read it.

22. TanithandBenFan

I hang around here a lot. :) I just got your PM and am glad you got it to work!

Yay! :cheer2:

23. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Congratulations TanithandBenFan. How exciting to actually have a book published.
    I'll definitely buy it when it comes out in paperback.

24. TanithandBenFan

Thanks, Jessica! :)

25. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Just bought it for my Kindle! Thanks for the link.

26. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Got it!

Also linked to it on my blog. I just wrote a skating post and it's getting some links, so hopefully some promo for your book!

27. TanithandBenFan

Thanks, centerpt1 and Jozet! And thank you so much for linking me to your blog, Jozet!!!! What's your blog address?

28. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

It's just a sort of "slice of life" humor blog. I used to write more often and hope to do so again. I usually don't write a lot about skating, but happened to this week. It's at http://www.halushki.com/

I'll let all the Kindle/Nook owners at the rink know, as well! I also work in a book store. I'll order a copy or two in to put on the shelves when it comes out in paperback. :)

29. TanithandBenFan

Thank you!!!! You rock!!!! :respec:

30. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Congrats on the book! I am super proud of you and can't wait to read it. I plan on hug tackling you as soon as I see you in San Jose later this month!! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: