New Skate Guard Articles/Interviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Jun 27, 2013.

1. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

2. Messalina

Messalina Sabre-rattler

Thanks for your interviews and opinion pieces. I have been reading them slowly over time. Just finished the piece on Kira Ivanova and am so glad you decided to memorialize her by telling her story.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

4. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Messalina, thank you so much for your support! Kira Ivanova's story was, in my opinion, such an important story to share. Her life wasn't easy but she still accomplished so much in figure skating. The way her life ended still makes me SO incredibly sad.

Skatesindreams, glad you enjoyed Hidden Treasures. All six of those skaters (well, eight, as two of them were teams) really made such an impression on me. Truly special gems that most people may not know about and REALLY should. They're all just fabulous.

I hope you'll all enjoy the latest on the blog, my interview with U.S. Olympian Suna Murray: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/03/interview-with-suna-murray.html

5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

6. skatesindreams

Suna Murray seems extraordinary.
    I'm glad that she is still involved in the sport and coaching.

Thanks, for the introduction to some champions unknown to me; and for the footage of Gundi Busch.

7. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

In 1990, then twelve year old Joanna Ng participated in an interpretive skating competition that complemented the usual fare at Skate Canada International. She skated an elaborate program that depicted the story of a young Vietnamese woman brought to North America and abandoned there, forced to dance herself into collapse to support herself and WON that competition against skaters nearly twice her age. The prodigal young American skater won the U.S. junior silver medal and went on to later represent a different country - Taiwan - at the World Figure Skating Championships. Turning to a professional career at a young age, Ng continues to skate professionally over twenty years later, recently performing with Broadway On Ice. Joanna took the time from her very busy schedule to reflect on her career, talk about skating 'then' and 'now' and so much more in this fabulous interview: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/03/interview-with-joanna-ng.html

9. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I don't know about you, but I'm no stranger to a knife and fork. I'm no size two anymore, and you know why honey? I love to eat delicious food. From sushi to Mexican and everything in between, I'll try anything once... and usually go back for seconds. Just as we need a little more adventure in our figure skating, we always need to be adventurous with our palates. There is already a wonderful cookbook out there with favourite recipes from the world's best skaters called Figure Skaters' Favorites that you can purchase online for only $20 USD but I decided to join in the fun too and compile or adapt some wonderful recipes for the ultimate of all dinner parties: A Double Axel Dinner Party with recipes inspired by some of our favourite (and not so favourite) figures in the skating world. From Dick Mutton to Spicy John Curry, join me in a culinary adventure of "level five" proportions in A Double Axel Dinner Party: Recipes Inspired By Figure Skaters:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard (read & like the blog on Facebook)
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/03/a-double-axel-dinner-party-recipes.html (direct link to article)

10. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

11. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

The very latest on the blog is my interview With Monica Friedlander! One of the marks of an effective communicator is the ability to not only share a point of view, but to educate and convince us of the validity of each and every argument expressed. Monica Friedlander is not only an award winning writer, but one of the biggest champions of fairness, education and constructive criticism as they relate to figure skating today. Her writings not only inspire serious consideration and discussion but real and quantitative change. It was my absolute honor and privilege to interview Monica and talk about the judging of the sport, the direction it is going in and most importantly, to continue the discussion about the herd of elephants standing in the International Skating Union's lobby that they consistently seem to neglect to acknowledge. One of the most fascinating interviews yet, in my opinion:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/03/interview-with-monica-friedlander.html

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Monica Friedlander wrote a "news" story about a petition that she herself started (the "Denis Ten should have won" petition from last year) and did not mention in the story that it was her own petition. And then she threw a hissy fit on FSU when she was called on this breach of journalistic ethics. She has no credibility as a journalist IMHO.

13. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Thanks for sharing your opinion, overedge! I'm a huge fan of Monica's writing and opinions actually and applaud her work. What did you think of the interview? :)

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't agree that going back to 6.0 is going to solve the problems in skating, and I don't agree with her assessment of the Olympic ladies' competition.
    And if she wants to be an advocate for change in the sport, great, but she can't do that and pretend to be an journalist as well.

15. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

16. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

17. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

18. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

19. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

20. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

21. skatesindreams

Many, many thanks, for sharing this interview!

22. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

You're most welcome, skatesindreams! Was a pleasure talking to Bill!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  23. skatesindreams

There are not many skaters who have long-standing connections with both Toller Cranston and John Curry.

24. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

25. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

26. coraczek

coraczek Member

Thank you for interesting interviews.

27. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

So glad you enjoyed the interviews with Anna Ovcharova and Denise Biellmann! I think Anna had a great World debut this season and Denise is nothing short of a skating legend. Both were a lot of fun and they were both so nice! :)

28. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

29. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Two new features on the blog and the blog's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard today!

A feature on the latest Skate Dance Dream show coming to Ohio: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014/04/skate-dance-dream-heads-to-ohio.html
    An interview with 2X World Champion, Olympic Silver Medallist, U.S. Champion & North American Champion Tim Wood: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014/04/interview-with-tim-wood.html

Tim talks at length on the record about figure skating's Ottavio Cinquanta problem:

"Cinquanta needs to go! He's single handledly done more damage to figure skating in the last twenty years than anyone else. He doesn't know what he's talking about..."

30. skatesindreams

What a wonderful interview with Tim Wood!
    One of my all-time favorite skaters; and not as well-known now as he deserves to be.