New Show: The Walking Dead(on AMC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Nov 1, 2010.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Dammit! I wanted to hate the guy who had an affair with Rick's wife.

Damn you, non-black and white (morally) characters. *shakes fist*

2. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I found the finale to be very lame and cliche to what was a really great opening. It was a plot driven, not character driven, storyline, with a climax we've seen in every end of the world and action adventure movie/tv series ever made.

Place with everyone inside is rigged to explore and just minutes and in several cases, seconds, before it explodes, they all escape, with the exception of one or two valiant people that are required to die, and then they all watch the explosion happen and then drive away as the place burns.

I'm worried this is the direction they intend to go with all of Season 2, not just one or two episodes. I thought the Season deserved a much more innovative and interesting storyline than THAT.

3. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I agree. This episode should have been a nail biter, instead it was pretty flat.

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It started off so well! Now I'm back to hating what's his name. Why do none of the names of these characters stick with me? That can't be good.

The story of what went on in the lab as the apocalypse was unfolding was interesting. I wish we could've seen some footage or transmissions from other labs. And the brain scan I thought was very well done. More stuff like that.

And more zombies.

I still enjoyed the series.

5. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I do agree, the stuff in the beginning and middle of the episode was very interesting, I loved the lab scenes in particular.

I wish we were getting some flashbacks to what their lives were like as this was first unfolding, when it was just a problem, not the end of humanity.

I do like that we were told that this was worldwide and not just confined to Atlanta or the U.S.A.

6. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Just my guess, but I think this is why they fired the writing staff. The last two episodes reeked of sci-fi B-movie cliche.

Monochrome green computer terminal with font nobody uses but the movies? Check.
    Semi-sentient voice activated central computer? Check.
    Whole place is rigged to explode, complete with countdown timer? Check.
    Cursory knowledge of science that places the adrenal glands in the brain and has people shooting bullets into MRI/PET scanning machines? Check.

This was the most they've ever tried to explain the apocalypse ever, Kirkman deliberately tries to avoid the how/why of everything...partly in due to the whole impossibility of the situation. As for the CDC,
    It never happened in the comic.

It's hard to keep track of characters in the comic as well. Some characters have the same name (Kirkman's rationale is that in some names are common enough that they're bound to come across someone with the same name). Further adding to the confusion is the constant turnover of the cast - as of right now, only a few of the original Atlanta survivors are still alive - and most of them have changed physically and/or psychologically for the worse.

As for the TV series, I think other things are happening as well - I'm speculating some actors have contracts for x amount of episodes, and that's extending the lifespan of their characters.

-----Shane-----(Rick's partner)
    is supposed to be long dead. I'm surprised at how long they have lasted - there even was a time
    back in camp
    that was almost exactly like the scene where they die.
    The scene where Shane barricades Rick's room
    never happened.

-----Lori----
    is being portrayed in a much, much, better light in the series than how they were in the comic.

-----Jacqui----
    was never in the comic.
    She lasted surprisingly long for a redshirt.

7. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I think Jenner told Rick about his wife and Shane. That would make for an interesting 2nd season. :watch:

9. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Congrats to "The Walking Dead" for getting a Golden Globe nomination for best drama!!!!

Best Television Series (Drama):
    "Boardwalk Empire"
    "Dexter"
    "The Good Wife"
    "Mad Men"
    "The Walking Dead"

10. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I agree. I think she's pregnant and he saw that on her blood test.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I haven't watched the show at all but just finished reading Compendium 1 of the comic (issues 1-48). All I can say is WOW. Interesting to see the places where the show fills out or just departs from the comic, I wonder if it's on Hulu?

Big Spoilers (probably things that won't even happen in S2 of the show) for those who've only watched the show:
    I'm not sorry that Lori died, but I was gutted about everyone else at the end there. Tyreese...Billy and Herschel...even Axel. We don't know for sure about Andrea, Dale and the rest of the RV folks, and Michonne seems to have a zillion lives. It was a little frustrating that the Governor's people couldn't see through his tyranny and obvious megalomania before that girl finally snapped after killing the baby. That guy was FCUKED UP.

Still wrecked that Tyreese and Michonne's plan didn't pan out well