New Show: The Walking Dead(on AMC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Nov 1, 2010.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Did I miss something in regards to wifey? Why did she freak out on husband's best friend? I know they were having an affair, but why cut off all contact with him? It's not like there's a whole lot of people left, nor did he make a big scene about hubby coming back.

So what did I miss?

2. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

The boyfriend told the wife her husband was dead in the hospital.

3. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. I was happy when the show first began that the main character had a distinct southern accent (granted the actor's a Brit and faking pretty well) and came across as reasonably intelligent and a stand-up guy (if a bit shell-shocked). But by the second episode they'd started up with the stock stereotypes of the South: Racist McCrossbow and Brother, and now Wifey McBeaterson. Not all southerners are @ssholes. It's pretty sad...I know someone living up in Boston right now who is desperately trying to lose her very distinct Southern accent because too many people automatically assume she's an idiot when she speaks.

4. PrincessLeppard

Ah, I missed that. Must've been chasing a cat. :D Thanks!

Susan, I agree we could do with fewer stereotypes. And while I know that people don't act rationally in stressful situations, there are studies that show that only 10% are really disastrous in that type of environment. So why does it seem like so many of those 10% are around in this show? I hope it doesn't continue like this.

I also don't want to watch a bunch of men trying to prove whose is bigger every week, either. Zombies, people, zombies. I want to watch them with the zombies. Not so much with other humans.

5. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I really like this show a lot. I wish it was more than an hour though, I keep wanting more! Plus it will be a long wait until season 2 which i believe will air around Fall 2011. AMC is really doing a great job with all their new progams.

6. AliasJohnDoe

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Say whaaat?! :wideeyes: They must have taken a page from ABC and "V". Unfortunately

8. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I am disappointed with the lack of human death in this series. It's a zombie show and that means they eventually have to eat somebody....

9. AliasJohnDoe

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

AMC probably has, for me, three of the top five drama programs on television right now.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Lots of chomping last night. LOL Great episode! I do wish they were not going on a nearly year long break. That is so puzzling.

12. PrincessLeppard

Last night's episode didn't start so well for me. I thought we were in for another episode of men comparing penises. But it did pick up when we realized what the 'gang' leaders was protecting. And how vicious his dogs were. :rofl:

Anyone else think Merle loaded some walkers into the van and unleashed them on the camp? I thought they had alarms set up around the camp.

And shouldn't the sister have been waking up and attacking her older sister? I'm guessing that's next week. :watch:

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the younger sister and hopefully that is next week. Just two more episodes to go.... Not sure about Merle being the one who unleashed the walkers on the camp because after all; as far as he is concerned his brother is there. Attacking the campers means his brother could fall victim as well. Guess we will have to wait and see.

14. AliasJohnDoe

15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I saw that. Very awesome :)

16. AliasJohnDoe

17. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

The last what? 10 minutes of Episode 4 were INTENSE! I don't get scared or freaked out by zombies or most fictional monsters, and that scene definitely rattled me.

WOW.

I am really loving this show. I'm not a zombie/horror movie person by nature but this show is a popular topic in my creative writing class and my boyfriend LOVES horror and zombie movies, so I decided to see what it was about when they aired reruns.

The writing, and in some cases more importantly, the lack of writing, is astounding. I love that it's a horror/zombie/post-apocolyptic show that actually has a lot of character development and depth, and isn't just all zombies all the time.

18. PrincessLeppard

Two things.

1. If I am bitten and killed, none of you has to wait until I reanimate to apologize for whatever. Just shoot me.

2. If I am bitten and live, you may also shoot me. I don't want to mutate into something that wants to eat you. I've been a vegetarian for too long to become a cannibal in the afterlife. ;)

I hope one of the alpha males buys it soon. Because I'm tired of the testosterone-fueled bickering. Oh, and wifey saying she has to support hubby because he's her hubby? What is this, 1950?

anyway. Still love the show. The episode was good, but needed more zombies. :)

19. Civic

Civic New Member

I missed the first episode. How did most of the earth's population become zombified?

20. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading an interview with Robert Kirkman (the writer of the comic and TV series) saying that he doesn't plan to go into detail about how the why and how of how the zombie apocalypse occurred, and the characters might find out a few things but they'll never find out everything about it.

I follow the comic series, and I have a feeling that Merle (who wasn't in the comic)
    will not return in this season and won't appear until later in Season 2
    and that Merle
    will be made into "The Governor", a major villain in the comics.

As a fan of the comic, I love the TV series just as much, and they actually added some stuff that's not in the comics so I encourage people to read the original because it really seems like Kirkman is taking this opportunity to tweak/tighten some of the storytelling and I think he's planning to merge the two storylines down the road.

21. venja

venja New Member

I don't recall, but somehow I think it'll be explained down the line (but isn't there only one more episode this season?).

I agree about this testosterone thing, although it doesn't help that they just introduced another male character. :lol: I thought that abused wife was going to talk some smack when beating her DH's (Dead Hubby's) head.

I want to see more scary moments in this show.

22. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

The good thing is that they plan to introduce Michonne (IMO the most kick-ass character in the series) early in Season 2, so just try to bear with the alpha-male d*ck-waving contest for now :lol:

23. AliasJohnDoe

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It looks like there is a repeat marathon this weekend so I set it to tape.

25. AliasJohnDoe

26. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

27. AliasJohnDoe

I hope Kirkman and some of the original comics writers still have input.

28. PrincessLeppard

The problem, to me, is there's too much character development at the moment, and that's not why I watch zombie movies. The first episode and the fourth episode have been the best so far at combing characterization and action, and I hope to see more of that.

And more zombies.

29. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

See, lack of character development is more or less why I don't watch most zombie movies.

I do agree a little more action wouldn't hurt though.

30. AliasJohnDoe

"The Walking Dead" marathon (all 6 episodes) is on AMC today (Sun - 12/5) starting at 4:30 EST.