New Season of "Toddlers and Tiaras"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jan 13, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I watch this :eek: show, and generally it makes me cringe, but the most recent episode got me thisclose to not being able to watch it any more.

This is the episode with the mom of the 15-month-old who said she was disappointed that her first few kids were boys, and the mom's sister joked (ha :rolleyes:) that she wanted a girl so badly that they would have had to put her in a mental hospital if she'd had another son. The mom who said with a completely straight face that her 15-month-old daughter is going to be Miss America, so they have as many people as possible handle the kid so she's used to dealing with the public. The mom who said "Sami-Jo loves to shop and she has great taste" (Sami-Jo being the 15 month old baby). And the mom who said after the pageant "Sami-Jo has to step it up in talent because she didn't do that well in fancy dress" (the baby's main "talent" at this point apparently being toddling).

The only pageant prize I think this mom deserves is a visit from the local child protection agency. And maybe a restraining order :scream:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Nan

Nan Just me

Yea, I do catch this every once in a while when I'm too lazy to use the remote. This episode was w-a-y over the top. All three moms were psycho-babble-crazy. :yikes:

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Here's a recap that outlines some of the crazy:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/13/toddlers-tiaras-tlc-tricia-samijo/

4. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Its a show about what NOT to do with your child. I swear half of them are just batty. While in Canada pagents really don't exist I can see some value in them as they teach a child self confidence. I think the pagent world far exceeds the crazy skating moms of the world....well some of them anyhow :p

5. overedge

Oooh, I think the best part of this recap is in the comments section: the rant from the sister of one of the little contestants (the sister appeared in the show doing the little contestant's makeup and cheering for her).

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

^ I saw that post too. :lol:

7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This show is a pedophile's wet dream, pure and simple.

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Unfortunately...

http://www.allcanadianpageants.com/

9. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I can't watch this show, the commercials alone make me extremely angry. The little girl with the old-lady elegant hairstyle but a pacifier stuck in her mouth, crying and telling her parents they're making her crazy...how can anyone think that's okay?

And as for "my daughter wants to participate, it's her choice" argument from people that I've read, brings the age-old question, who is the child and who is the parent?? Children don't have the maturity to make such decisions.

Gaaaahhh..... :mad:

10. overedge

And the little contestant's sister digs herself even deeper into the hole....

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you started this thread, this show is my guilty pleasure!

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I enjoy this show - and yes, there are some over the top, psychotic parents and there are some truly bratty kids. However, there are also a lot of families who enjoy doing this together (even grandma and aunts and dads and siblings getting involved).

When I was a kid there were no pageants but we did like to play dress up and put on some of mom's makeup and even pretend we were Miss America. We also took ballet and other classes and looked forward to the annual recital where we got to put on pretty things and wear makeup and our families cheered proudly for us. For many, pageants just takes all that a step further.

I do agree that in some cases, the parents are living through their kids (is it a surprise that many of the moms are about as far from pageant ready as one can get?), and that they are creating little monsters, and yes the pageant promoters are making money off it. At the same time, there are kids who go through this, have a great time, and come out better for it.

A couple of years ago there was a British documentary about two pageant kids. They had done a doc on them when they were children, and then went back 15 or so years later to see how they were doing. One was no longer in pageants, but looked back on the experience positively and was at the time in college. She said the experience gave her a lot of confidence, and prepared her to compete academically and be able to speak in public etc. The other one was still involved - she competed in the older categories, but spent most of her time coaching younger kids and seemed to be quite happy with the life.

Of course the show is going is going to show extremes - including in the commercials - but if you watch a bit more closely, you will see a lot of loving families and kids having a good time.

As for pedophiles, yes sadly this likely appeals to them - however, there's a lot more to it than that, and not all of it is bad, IMO.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  13. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I could go to any soccer field and film a very sad faced child who doesn't think they are getting enough playing time. Or find a child being yelled at because they don't play hockey aggressively enough. Showing any children's activity in a negative light would be very easy.

I hate beauty pageants, and I was prepared to hate Toddlers and Tiaras when my daughter told me to watch it. But the first episode I saw featured a fat and homely little latino girl being tanned and glitzed and rhinestoned into being the ultimate winner of the pageant. She LOVED it. All the little kids got trophys or crowns and prizes. Yes, the kids new some crowns were better than others, but it was no worse than any other competition I've seen.

From a very young age my daughters loved putting on makeup and shows and dressing up in as much of a princess outfit as they could find. There is no way that those pageants would be so popular without the kids loving it. They can't "sparkle" on stage if they aren't where they want to be.

And pedophiles would have a better time watching a figure skating competition. There is as much makeup and as much skin shown, and they do more contorting than most pageant contestant.

My 16 year old daughter and I had a long discussion about the show. We both felt much more comfortable with the little girls being judged in a glitz pageant, because it is all about how well you transform yourself. The "natural" pageants are just a plain beauty contest and I'm glad they don't really show them.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting point - hadn't really thought about that. The instinct of course is to be horrified by makeup and hair extensions and false eyelashes and flippers - but at the same time, then they are being judged by their dress up selves, instead of being told that one girl is naturally prettier than another.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If they're nine and want to do it, that's one thing for me. Okay, fine, it's a hobby, I get it. And a five-year-old? When I was five I liked dressing up in pretty dresses and such. (I'd rather see the girls in foofy ruffles than the midriff-baring stuff and trying to be 'sexy.' There's a reason USADance and NDCA have rules about costumes and makeup for the under-12 crowd, some things are just not appropriate. Ruffles and bows, okay, fringe hot pants = WTF?)

The ones who creep me out are the people who think a fifteen-month-old is psychologically capable of caring about ANYTHING beyond their next meal and where is their soft cuddly toy and how uncomfortable the wep nappie is. If your kid can barely walk, cannot form complete sentences, and is still working on the whole solid-food diet, they don't have hobbies or favorite activities! They're barely beyond infant. Stop pretending they have any real opinion at all on the subject and admit it's you, pagent moms.

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

True that. And when do these so-called mothers start telling their daughters that flaunting yourself and "acting sexy" is not exactly the best way to attract attention? I'm curious as to how they handle the subject of the difference between how they are expected to act and present themselves in a pageant as opposed to the rest of their life. Children that age don't have the wherewithal to understand that there is a definite line between the two.

I'm wondering how many of these young girls will wind up pregnant before they're out of their teens because they are being taught to be sexy (has anyone seen the pageant footage with the girl who takes off her angel costume to reveal a Madonna cone-bra underneath?!), but they aren't being taught how to handle it because they simply are too young to handle and understand it.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Is there a co-relation between girls who dress or act sexy and teen pregnancy? Certainly teens who dress overly sexy or slutty are likely to be perceived as open to sexual activity, but that does not equal getting pregnant, or even being sexually active. And when younger girls dress or act sexy, do they really have a sense of the connection to actual sexual activity, or are they just mimicking pop stars and others like them? I think for the most part, it's the latter.

When I was a teen and from what I can tell now, the level of sexual activity and getting pregnant had absolutely nothing to do with how girls dressed or acted. Plenty of teens who've never been in a pageant, never bared their midriff and never shaken their booties get pregnant.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Rather then being judged by who is naturally prettier, they are now being judged on whose parent spent the most money. Is that really any better?

There are is no valid point to these pageants in my opinion. I'm not completely against the natural pageants, because most of have some component that is other than beauty (stage walk, "talent") and those things do teach poise and self-confidence, and maybe even how to lose graciously (though not the kids on this show).

Perhaps people really do have the tens of thousands of dollars these people spend on the pageants for 4 year olds, but it sure doesn't look like most of the people on this show can afford it without a big hole somewhere else.

I also just disagree with so much of the "transformation" necessary for the glitz pageants. A small child should not have waxed or even plucked eyebrows. The flippers are just silly. The airbrushed photos are scary. To me that's telling a child they aren't good enough as they were, and if they don't win, then they still aren't good enough.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

From what I can tell, spending the most money doesn't equal winning. There are lots of kids whose parents and family members make their costumes, do their hair and makeup, and teach them dance routines.

All the pageants I've seen award points for things like stage walk/modelling, smiles, personality, etc. Many also have a talent component - including the glitz competitions.

Certainly not something I'd do, but I don't think we can really tell people how to spend their money. Figure skating can be very expensive, as can hockey and other sports. Trips to Disney World can add up too.

As an adult, I don't relate to women who have dozens or hundreds of pairs of shoes costing hundreds of dollars a pair, but then again, I'm sure many of them would not understand the small fortune I've spent on cookbooks either. :)

Agree that plucking, waxing and flippers are going too far; even dying hair is a bit much, and I don't think spray tans are necessary either. The airbrushed photos also seem unnecessary to me, and in some ways, like cheating IMO.

But hair and makeup and pretty clothes? Our society values such things, and many of us continue to do our hair and makeup and choose our clothes throughout our lives. I don't think it's that big a deal, and as I said above, for many little girls, dressing up is a lot of fun. For many women it is too.

20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

And when would that have been?

When I was a toddler, back in the 1970's, parents, AFAIK, weren't putting their kids out in front of an audience dressed like baby prostitutes and encouraged to shake what they didn't even have. I would be very surprised if it was being done. Even when I was a teenager, going to baton competitions, all of which had modelling events, you didn't see anything untoward or inappropriate in terms of either outfits or demeanor.

But it can wind up opening a can of worms that they are unable to close, whether it be in terms of their reputation amongst their peers, or in terms of anyone wanting to take advantage of the message they are sending.

And I can't imagine why these girls' parents would allow them to do that, regardless of where it comes from. It's inappropriate behavior for children, period.

21. overedge

Admittedly the show focuses on the psycho-crazy moms, but I don't see a lot of children on that show getting much "choice" in their clothes, hair, or makeup. IMHO dressing up for kids is fun when it's a creative activity for them, not when an adult is forcing them to dress up a certain way.

22. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think those mothers should be hung up by their thumbs!;)

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I remember that child and her mother. The kid hated being glitzed up, but once she was onstage, she performed her socks off. She has real talent, and it was clear that she truly enjoyed performing.

24. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I don't watch the show but I do see the occasional outtakes on The Soup....including the tot who danced around in a cone bra like Madonna. Um....wow. That's disturbing.

Looking at the article linked....I do have to adore the fact that two of the tots mentioned seem to be named after characters on Dynasty (Sammy Jo Carrington, played by Heather Locklear, and of course, Alexis Carrington, played by the awesome Joan Collins. I assume there are also tots in these competitions named Krystle, but probably spelled with more "y"s and possibly apostrophes and a silent 4. "Kr4yy'styllye")