New Michelle Article

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kathy sullivan, May 7, 2011.

1. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

2. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

When is graduation day for Michelle? I'll bet she's up to her eyeballs in papers and reports and exams right now.

3. wRECkSk8r

wRECkSk8r Active Member

4. toepick

toepick Member

I love that she is into IR like I am! A lot of my friends did the Fletcher route. It's a great school. I'm happy she loves my own town- DC! Of course, if we end up in the same circle somewhere, someday I will need to control my inner-fangirl.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Very nice, well-written article. One mistake I noticed: Kwan's brother is older and taller than her, so I wouldn't describe him as her "little brother."

Awwww, Kwan:

"By being appointed a diplomatic envoy [plus] my involvement with the Council and Special Olympics, I’ve been able to give back. I want to be a good citizen, a great athlete, a great student, a great sister and a great daughter. Those are things I hope for in my life—and to make a difference in people’s lives through public service. I want to be able to say I’ve made a difference.”

Michelle has already made a huge difference in the lives of so many people, as a figure skater. Now, I suppose she's eager to do the same in her new career, yet still with her work as an envoy, I'm certain she's already done that as well. And she's already an exceptional citizen, a great athlete, student, sister, daughter, and aunt too! I guess the thing she exemplifies is, Do not rest on your laurels and do not believe all the accolades and superlatives that come your way.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I really enjoy hearing about her new endeavours and where she is heading in her life. So good that she has found focus outside of skating.

President Kwan anyone?

7. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Hard to believe that she has only a little over 4 years to be eligible for that as well. :)

Good story on a remarkable young woman.

8. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

^^This. :swoon:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Now I can say "Howdie, neighbor!" to the Kween! I guess that we'll all be eating at Circa Cafe in Dupont Circle soon, eh? She also mentions Russia House...a great 'pick-up place' lounge and not so much a restaurant. I bet that we can spot her at the famous Whole Foods of P Street, between 15th & 14th Sts, the fave grocery shop of the well-heeled YUPPIES who live in Dupont Circle area.

Question: Has Michele taken and passed the Foreign Service Exam to be a career diplomat? Or is she planning to go from 'special appointment' to 'special appointment' for the rest of her life? I would think not. Most folks who come to this town to do diplomacy do it through the Foreign Service Exam or similar tough exams required to have true careers in the international agencies. Michele had the brain to go to Fletcher so I am guessing that she'll take the test -- it often takes several tries -- and opt for a true diplomatic career path, which commands the greatest respect among Foggy Bottom regulars.

p.s. also posted this in the other thread on this subject, in Great Skate Debate.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the one on the same topic (Michelle Kwan Woman in Washington) in Great Skate Debate?

11. sbmeagain

sbmeagain Active Member

yes!

12. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Happy graduation day to the Kween. :cheer: :lol:

13. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So any :sekret: word on where she is going to be working? Why the secrecy? I thought she is moving to DC, not Langley, Virginia. ;)

15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Kudos to the Kween..She is an amazing woman!

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to whatever she chooses - wherever it leads.

17. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I am very happy for her and wish her well. However I'm not happy with how her lack of involvement with skating any longer leaves the sport high and dry. We've been used to our Peggy and Dorothy and Kristi types continuing to carry the torch for the sport as they got older. Now we have none of our recent ladies Olympic champions and Kwan though not Olympic champion very much a standard-bearer carrying the torch here. I can't help but think we might still have some professional skating here if the Kween had continued to skate professionally. Oh well. As a skating fan I'm kind of bummed. Felt the same way about Janet Lynn but others stayed active to make up for her lack of involvement. But it is her life and of course she should do what she wants...and as I said I wish her the best.

BTW I work for the federal government in a fairly high position and I wish I was a skating star. Guess the grass often looks greener:lol:

18. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

No word, but it didn't seem all that clear from the article that Kwan had found a job already. She is involved in her State Dept. duties, and perhaps hopes to pursue something related, but hasn't landed anything yet. It seems like a smart move to DC considering Kwan's education and vocational interests.

Congratulations to Michelle Kwan on another stunning achievement!

O-

19. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:cheer2: :40beers: :respec: I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE! :respec: :40beers: :cheer2:

20. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

The nerve of MK having a life outside of skating.:slinkaway

21. os168

os168 Active Member

Well first of all, just because it isn't reported in the article, does't mean she won't have anything involved with skating anymore. I really doubt she will ever leave it all behind. Once a skater, always a skater.

It is only natural to want to venture into other areas having learnt all she had at grad school. Life is about stepping stones; be best at what you can be at the right time with the right opportunity. And may be she can make bigger impact elsewhere beside just skating.

Michelle can have it all!!

Secondly, wowww Michelle was in London!! Wonder what's her impression of our beautiful city. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  22. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Wow, she's moving to DC the same time I am! Wonder if she needs a roommate... :lol:

23. toepick

toepick Member

Nice article. We share the love of International Affairs. DC is a great place to be for that. I came 10 years ago for grad school and never looked back. If she has not landed a cool job yet (in addition to her current duties at State), she will!

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm sure MK will have no problem affording the price of housing in the D.C. area for a single gal ;)

I wonder which swanky area of D.C. will she be staying at?

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I certainly don't think Kwan owes anything to the world of skating. Don't you think she'd done enough??? :eek:

I think she could do much good as a diplomat and a representative of our country to China (which is what I think she is aiming at) having demonstrated impressive diplomatic skills all her publicized life.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Michele never did particularly like show skating. She liked to compete which is very different. She did shows because they paid well. While I'd be thrilled if she still did, I really don't expect her to do so except on very rare occasions.

Kwan for President in 2020!

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Michelle has always been a great representative for her sport and country as a skater, and I'm sure she'll continue to be a great representative in this stage of her life as well. I'm happy for her that she has found something that fills her life with passion and purpose, and will let her put her talents to good use.

Michelle looked up to some wonderful role models and I'm sure she's a great role model for the current generation of skaters and a nice example of making the most of your life on and off the ice.

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Michelle's time on the National team was significantly longer than ... any previous great that's been mentioned, except maybe Dick Button.

The body can only do so much.

Yamaguichi was on the Senior National Ladies team for 4 seasons, then skated with SOI for 10 years.

Kwan was on the senior ladies national team for 12 seasons. (DAYUM!)

29. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

People move on. It is ridiculous to expect otherwise

30. query5

query5 New Member

it also misstates her age when she won her 1st worlds,
    she won it by age 15 ,not 16.
    but other than that --nice article

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.