New law suit from Oksana Baiul

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Willowway, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

As I said above I think it's a "nuisance" law suit to get a few bucks just for being a pain in the butt - no actual legal reason. I don't know what Oksana knows but I would put money on the fact that if there was no actual publicity, her manager/rep knows that very clearly. Simple as that. And that is sad - no values, no ethics, just ways to weedle money out of other people.

Maybe you live among decent people who bring law suits when they have actual reasons to do so. It doesn't always work that way.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

She needs $$$$$$$

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I have to think she must not ever plan on doing another show. As someone pointed out Disson is about the only player left in the US. Right or wrong she is burning that bridge.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

She looked at me funny in an elevator once and now I'm scared for life! :mitchell:

(I'm kidding. I've never been in an elevator with Ms. Baiul.)

5. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I won't comment on her lawsuit/relationships/fashion sense/boozing/face, but I do wish Oksana to find some inner-peace, something she is clearly lacking.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I sent her a happy birthday msg on facebook, and she replied with a smiley face.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

She is probably in such a bad shape that she can't skate anymore.
    When did she started to do the drugs? When she was competing already? (I haven't really followed her career)

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

These lawsuits are costing her big bucks and she is fighting entities who have strong legal teams who have the money to fight back. There might be the expectation, on her part, that some out of court settlement netting her some money will occur. For those she is suing this is just a nuisance and they are not quaking in their boots. And who would want to hire her now with the expectation that they might face getting sued too.

Not too many months ago, she was talking about making a worldwide tour with her own show. I was skeptical that this would ever materialize.

It is unfortunate she disconnected from Galina and Victor. They seemingly gave her the only sense of family she had ever had and I do not think they "used" or "abused" her. Now she seems to be adrift, at the age of 35, with dubiously motivated people surrounding her. Like I said earlier, there seems only one end to this story right now and it is not a pretty one.

aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She seems to be following the "child star" pattern. It's all very sad. As Loves_Shizuka said, I hope she can find some inner peace.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I forget that she's still relatively young at 35 (only three years older than the Kween).

11. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

They re-shoot those made for tv ice-shows when the skaters fall? Those shows are not my cup of tea and I'd rather watch competitions, but that fact surprises me.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I remember Christine Brennan writing about that when Boitano or Browning (one of those guys) kept having to do re-take after re-take until he got it right. The audience applauded, but Brennan was critical because that pro special was listed under NBC's Sports programming not entertainment.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Common practice. I went to several tapings of SOI back in the day, and they always asked the audience to stick around for the reshoots.

14. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yes. They have the skaters re do the jumps they missed and edit them in. At the most recent Barry Manilow special Barry Manilow and Kimmie Meissner had to redo a whole number because Kimmie was having trouble with her costume backstage and missed most of the number.

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

How does Oksana support herself these days? I don't think she coaches.

16. snoopyskater

snoopyskater Member

So sad it's come to this for Oksana. She really was extremely fortunate to have had a pro career during the most profitable time in skating history. All she had to do was take advantage of all the opportunities that come from being the reigning Olympic champion. Then, take the money and save/invest. She should have been set for life, if she was wise. Unfortunately, she probably blew all the money she made. So now it's come to this - grasping at straws to get every penny and burning all her bridges in the process.

17. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Me too. :( I was such a fan back in the day. I was just a young teen myself at the time she competed and I remember her being such a breath of fresh air! When nutcracker on ice came to town the year after the Olympics I begged my mom to take me and seeing her skate live was such a thrill.

So sad it has come to this.

18. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Oksana seemed to be doing fine as of a few months ago. She had a FB page where she would post photos that showed her at skating practice, going out to dinner with her fiancee, decorating her Christmas tree, etc. In other words, her life looked very normal and Oksana herself came off as witty and likeable. She took her FB page down about a month or so ago. Her fan page is still up, but it doesn't have the kinds of photos and posts that her personal page had. It does mention a clothing line that is in development.

Whatever is going on, I hope she's all right.

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

The only one I ever went to we saw Nancy Kerrigan try and try and try again to land a jump. They wanted the audience to stay and cheer for retake after retake.....

Never went to another one and like you those shows don't do much for me.

20. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

She was only sixteen. How many sixteen year-olds think about the future? She also looked like she went through a delayed puberty when she stopped training. She wasn't the same skater who won the OGM.

21. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

I just hate to watch these slow-motion implosions in which the likely grim ending is telegraphed far in advance. I can only hope that she makes a U-turn and doesn't suffer the fate of Christopher Bowman.

22. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It's a bit late for that by now (sorry, just now reading this thread), but here is the old thread if someone wants to read up on the Morris lawsuit:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...lliam-Morris-Endeavor-Agency-(threads-merged)

And if you would like to skip many of the same comments posted in this thread and go right to the lawsuit, details are posted here: http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/21/52475.htm

This is her Morris agency lawyer's Martindale-Hubbell profile: http://www.martindale.com/Michael-Eidel/35721904-lawyer.htm?view=cr, for what it's worth. Based on that, I wouldn't classify him as a lawyer likely to file frivolous lawsuits, so I would think there is something to what she says.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Any news on how her last lawsuit ended?

If it is true that she has substance abuse issues, then she probably blew all her money there.

24. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

She just filed it in November. I doubt if it's gone to court yet.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah, alright I thought it was filed a few months earlier than that. Thanks.

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Oksana must be desperate for money. So sad.

27. snoopyskater

snoopyskater Member

That is so true. It's too bad she didn't have a supportive mother or father helping her during this time. They would have realized how important putting money away would be. She really could have had a large amount of money saved with the many opportunities she was given. Even an out-of-shape OGM will still get a lot of offers. It's great for marketing to say you have an OGM in your show.

28. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Last spring she was shopping herself around rinks in NJ, touting a skating academy concept and looking for a deal to set up shop with herself as head coach. I didn't hear that she found any takers, though.

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Given she was 16 and legally a minor, SOMEONE should have had control/trusteeship. Though IIRC (I think from Brennan's first book) both Galina and Petrenko said people tried to help Oksana, but she was hard to get through to, even after the first DUI. And of course a trustee wouldn't have helped once she was legal age (you can set trusts to be accessible at ages other than just 18) and could control the money herself.

She was never my favorite, but I hope she turns herself around before she goes down the same road as Bowman.

30. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I don't really see any information on that lawyer. It says he had a 5 from his peers, but if lawyers are like physician, they give each other the benefit of the doubt. You need to ask specific questions to get the right answer. She does seem to have a lot of fans here, but I'm just surprised that her name would bring any extra $$$. I thought they had her in shows to help her out.