New law suit from Oksana Baiul

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Willowway, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh dear. I wonder what's happened with the previous lawsuit?

Might be good if kind admins can join this to the old thread as I recall there was much discussion that is still relevant to this latest development.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Yeah, this does seem sad, as is that sheer semi-nude dress NY Daily News decided to post of her.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That dress. :yikes:

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

And add to that the obvious perspiration marks ....:scream:

6. Willowway

Although The Agency Group is mentioned as repping her at the time of the interaction with Disson Skating (which had to be at least several years ago), she is no longer on their roster.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

does her boyfriend/manager represent anyone but her?

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I suspect this story is going to have a sad ending. She is burning all her bridges.

9. tonyahardly

tonyahardly Banned Member

Oksana is not well. The girl has serious mental/substance abuse issues. The way she has behaved in public over the past 15 years is ridiculous. Remember Family Feud when she was so drunk she could barely function? I recall hearing about a FS at a professional competition in the early 2000's that a network couldn't air because she flashed her tits. This latest lawsuit is frivolous. I imagine Scott Hamilton who has always praised her is upset by this. You know I have seen a lot on tour. I should write a book! Maybe it would peak interest in our struggling sport.

10. Willowway

Steve Disson, who in my experience (well over 10 years since I first met him) is an extremely nice guy, was kind to give her an extra chance. To use an oft-quoted phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. tonyahardly

Oksana boozed her way out of the Tom Collins tour and has been lying about her sobriety ever since. She used to like to roll on ecstasy before a competition. It's a wonder she isn't dead. If we can forgive Oksana for her ways, surely we could have given Harding another chance! There were many times when Bauil was spotted shoveling coke backstage and at parties in recent years. I think she's about had it if nobody intervenes. So sad. Another wasted talent along with Harding, Bowman.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Clearly you haven't forgiven Oksana for her ways.

13. tonyahardly

I haven't CLEARLY forgiven Oksana because unlike Harding she continues to lie and hasn't gotten well. I am not angry at Oksana. I am worried that she will go down the same road as Bowman. Somebody needs to reach out to her. Weir is friends with her and he jokes that she is "a hot mess" instead of trying to help!

14. tonyahardly

Weir is a self obsessed self-serving, shallow little boy. Instead of joking about her illness, he needs to do something. That's the problem with figure skating. Everything is sugar coated and swept under the carpet because we forget that skaters are human. They are still caught up on the Sonya Henje days and Dorothy Hamill days when skaters couldn't be athletes but had to be Ice Princesses! It is a shame. Dana Plato could have been a great skater. I had the pleasure of seeing her skate in the late 70's.

15. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Well, the good news is that whatever Oksana did to her face wore off, and whoever did her botox has a wonderful hand. The see through pit stained dress is unfortunate, but her face and hair look great.

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Here, troll, troll, troll... :watch: Here, troll, troll, troll...

17. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

As though she hasn't done enough harm to herself. Looks like she now has a boyfriend/agent to help seal the deal.There are some mistakes that can not be forgotten. I should shut up because I've never been much of a fan. Way to much drama. Oh, that dress.

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What has Oksana done that needs forgiving from you? That makes no sense to me. I'm sure she has made plenty of bad decisions but I don't need to forgive her for anything and I doubt anyone here does either.

19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

:lol: I fully agree with you BigB08822, but there is no harm in asking why she has posted and tweeted about being out at vodka bars. I have not been a close watcher of Oksana over the years, but didn't she once publicly admit to having an alcohol problem? Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Oksana will hopefully not be hated by fans for any apparently erratic behavior or business disagreements. She remains a very important figure in the history of the sport, and she gave up her childhood to acheive what she did, so yes I hope people don't feel the need to judge her too harshly for personal problems.

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time gal. Ill invite her to my next party.

21. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Unfortunately,it is her controlling boyfriend who is behind this... Things have really turned sour since they met. She sold her apartment in New Jersey that she had for years and moved to PA... Now lawsuit after lawsuit is being filed.. I am afraid he is going to bleed her dry and then leave her..

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Since when is Johnny Weir such close friends with Oksana that he is responsible for her rehab?

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Obvious troll is obvious. ;)

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Must remember DO NOT feed the trolls unless you want to get bitten.

25. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterG again.

Love you, Peter!

26. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Back to the legal issue...did I miss something? Did she sign the contract or didnt she? In some states, a witnessed verbal agreement is legal, IIRC.
    If they used her name and she did not agree in writing or verbally, then I know which way I would vote if I was on the jury. Evan L. would never agree
    to go to an event, have his name used, and then pull and sue.....

27. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

You can go back to topic.

I do agree that this is sad news.

28. Willowway

She didn't sign the contract and Steve Disson said that they never used her name. This should all be pretty straight forward - either they used her name or they didn't.

I would tend to think Steve is telling the the truth. She's going to have to prove they used her name and if you look at the story in the newspaper, it's very unlikely that they had the time to use her name. My guess is that she doesn't have much here and is hoping that if you raise enough of a fuss and sue for enough $$ (in this case 5M) then you'll get paid something (20K-30K) to simply go away even if you deserve nothing.

This is called a nuisance suit - you know you have nothing much in legal terms but you sue anyhow hoping that someone with deep pockets (NBC and Disson are that) would rather pay you to go away than pay more to their lawyers. It could be worth a few bucks and all the bad will in the world to her. And believe me, I don't really think this is her; I think it's driven by her manager and her inner demons.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  29. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

The saddest part is that Disson is the only game in town as far as pro skating goes. We'll probably never see Oksana perform in the United States again.

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't find the fact that she's filing lawsuits to be "sad" or to have any particular moral value. She thinks she has a case, so she's suing. Maybe she'll get a judgment or a settlement, maybe not. The entities she's suing aren't mom and pop shops who will be destroyed by the legal fees or anything.

The only thing about this that piqued my interest was that I don't remember Oksana ever being promoted as being part of those particular shows. Does anyone else? I figure if anyone would be the audience for such things, the ones who would be willing to shell out for tickets based on an extremely preliminary castlist, it would be us, no? :p We often have threads about these shows well in advance. Bobek's appearance at Improv Ice was discussed. I don't remember Oksana's name coming up at all, basically because I'm an Oksana fan and I don't remember her being announced as part of a cast for anything in the last couple of years except the 2011 Evening w/Champions (where she in fact performed)... she skates so rarely that if she had been announced and scratched I think I would remember. *shrugs* So I'm thinking if they advertised her as part of the cast, it was in an extremely preliminary and limited way and must have been corrected rather quickly. It's incredibly doubtful that they sold all these tickets based on Oksana's brand name. It's a strange lawsuit to file, though, if they don't actually have any advertisements to use as evidence.