New Kulik/Gordeeva skating center

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Kasey, Sep 5, 2012.

1. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

That's the one! Enjoy ;)

Exactly. My home rink is DEFINITELY not full size (I don't think it's even close!) and yet our skaters do just fine when they go elsewhere. And Tasmania's skaters sure put up a good showing considering their rink is very tiny (so I've heard).

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:) That is the one I was referring to. I have judged there twice and I have seen their skaters for many years now come to Melbourne to do competitions. The skaters do a fantastic job when they get on the larger ice. You couldn't tell they train on a small rink.

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I thought so. I ran into a Tasmanian skater this afternoon. She's come up a day ahead of time to run her programs through because their rink is about half the size of ours and they need to adjust. I'm sure she'll do just fine. :)

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Sandi, get that book! Of my skating book "library," it's my personal favorite. Lots of fascinating interviews in it. It's one of those books I return to periodically to re-read. :)

5. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think that the coaching by Ilia or Katia will be very beneficial for older skaters who wish to better their technics. In my opinion though, the learning is a lot easier for young skaters. They can learn from the start e.g. the great stroking ability that Ilia and Katia both have. They seem to gather speed without using stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, etc. technic, but really effortlessly and quickly. And Ilia┬┤s jumping, that is sooo beautiful and effortless!!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. Aussie Willy

Ilia is used as an example for Skating Skills on the ISU component DVDs. They just show him in warm ups which even that is very impressive.

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I would think a few of our good but struggling elite jumpers should consult Ilia.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I would assume that his budget was limited.

9. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

In future Ilia will be doing interviews about Kulik's Skating, the vision he has for the short-term and the longer-term, the choices he has made, the process of transforming an industrial space (with some supports in the wrong places!) into an ice surface and training center, etc. - so stay tuned for all of that.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  10. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks, I always look forward to reading Ilia's interviews, he comes across as very grounded and thoughtful.

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

IMO sending a little skater to them for the basics would be really smart. Even at age 5 or 6, you could already see the quality technique in Liza's skating.

At his peak, Ilia could get around the end of an Olympic rink using only 3 back crossovers (*most guys need at least 4). His speed is so effortless. I remember once after an SOI group number, Ilia was skating casually back to the tunnel entrance. Katia started maybe 20' farther back and still needed almost the entire length of the ice to catch him, and she was chasing hard.

And Katia also has a famously beautiful and technically perfect stroke. I believe all her jump take-offs are also textbook.

12. marysy

marysy Active Member

This reminds me of some of the large pinwheels that they used to do in the SOI group numbers. Katia and Sergei were almost always at one end, and she, despite being smaller than many of the other skaters, was sometimes even a little ahead of the line.

13. sandi

sandi New Member

I sure will be getting it! Hopefully by next week. :)

Can't wait to read for those interviews! Will Katia take part in the interviews, too? I would love to hear her thoughts as well.

14. Aussie Willy

I heard and read that Sergei had to keep up with her because she was so fast. She really has the most amazing skating technique. I could probably watch her just skate around the rink all day.

A coach of mine saw them compete as juniors before they won their world championships. It was at Skate Canada and he was told they were the ones to watch. I will have to ask him about it again.

15. I was there!

I was there! New Member

As a great (maybe greatest) pair skater, she should know that you need a larger surface to complete lifts, throws and twists safely. I would also argue that it is not wise to be practicing a step sequence that MUST cover the ice on a small surface. IMO they aren't going to have many pairs train there.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not only does overedge skate, I've seen overedge compete, and in different size rinks.

Congratulations to Gordeeva and Kulik. If I had a kid in their area, I would send it to their rink to learn how to skate.

I loved the tiffed girl to the far right at the end of the welcome video.

The Kulik jumps video was wonderful: he looked so relaxed when he jumped. It reminded me of how David Jenkins, who was self-taught when it came to triples, said in the manleywoman podcast that the key to learning to jump was learning to fall. If he could relax when jumping, even if he knew he could fall, he continued to practice. If he felt tight, he wasn't ready, and needed to keep learning to fall, but the key was being relaxed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  17. Aussie Willy

I don't think their goal is to be creating world class pairs teams but rather helping skaters develop. It is not the size but rather what you do with it that matters.

18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Tasmania's rink is just under 50ft by 100ft so much smaller than this one.

19. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

I think you can relax. :) It's not like two dentists walked off a golf course one day and decided on a whim to open an ice skating rink. We are talking about Olympic champions here. Wise and aware. Disciplined and dedicated. Experts in their field. Highly respected. What's to worry?

20. Willowway

Love it! ITA, these are two people who know what they're doing.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Can't tell you the number of times I've heard that line. :rolleyes:

22. lulu

lulu New Member

Do you know when/where Ilia's interview(s) about the rink are going to be published? I'm looking forward to reading about his and Katia's vision for the rink.

23. Willowway

Interviews are in Ilia's planning, no schedule so far but as things are published I'll post links here so you can be sure to read them. Ilia has spoken to the Krew about his planning and his ideas (some of which are reflected clearly on the Kulik's Skating website) - it's so interesting and inspiring, and always best in his words.

That said, if you want to get a better idea of how Ilia works and what some of his core values are, please read under "Testimonials" (on the Kulik's Skating website) the letters from Amanda and her mom. There are some very specific details there and I, for one, found their observations very interesting. So far nothing in that department about Katia but the website is only a week old. Also read through the offerings for Coaches, Adult Skaters and all those categories - he speaks to what he believes.

24. reve

reve New Member

Actually, Sergei had it much harder. He could definitely skate as fast as Katia, but since he was so much taller, he was told to shorten the width of his stroke, so that it would match her much shorter legs. So, he had to try to skate as fast as possible with a contrived shorter stroke. That's kind of amazing in and of itself.

25. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks. :) I know it's the not the same as having personal one-on-one coaching, but Ilia would be an ideal candidate to make a "how to skate" training video, both in terms of teaching correct jumping technique and basic stroking, gaining speed, etc. Just a thought. ;)

26. Willowway

And a good one.

27. endrra

endrra New Member

From what I saw on the website, the new skating center looks great. I don't know anything about skating competitively and I haven't watched skating on tv for a while (I was more of a fan in my younger years), but I do believe that regular exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle and I think a skating center is good for any community to have. I like that they offer skating lessons for kids and adults, not just for competitive skaters. I think it's great to go and take classes just to stay fit and active. It provides a better alternative to many other things kids could be doing. The picture of Katia with the little kids is very cute. I'd take my kids to her classes if I were in the area. I'm sure she's great with them. I'm sure they'll iron out a few wrinkles as they road-test the website, so to speak, but it looks rather elegant to me, and as an old GG fan I was glad to read the part about GG in Katia's bit.

I wish them great success with this new business venture and I hope they find their niche in the community and can make a long-lasting, positive impact.

28. lulu

lulu New Member

I'm always in awe at how amazingly difficult pairs skating is. Granted, I'm not exactly an expert on sports, but I would put pairs skating against almost any other athletic endeavor in terms of difficulty.

Back to the main topic on hand though, I love the second pic of Katia teaching the kids' skating class, she looks like she's having a blast. :)

29. marysy

marysy Active Member

Hmm where is this pic of Katia teaching the kids? I only see the two pics of her performing and the video.

30. lulu

lulu New Member