New Kulik/Gordeeva skating center

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Kasey, Sep 5, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

ITA. :) It's hard to believe she's 11 already. She looks as much like Ilia as Daria looks like Sergei.

BTW, are there currently any other coaches permanently based at the rink, besides Katia & Ilia? Both Katia and Ilia have such a wealth of skating experience and experience with different coaching styles/systems; the old Soviet system, training in post-Soviet Russia, and everything in the U.S. from recreational ISI style skating to elite level. It would be interesting to see how/if their coaching styles meshes the various aspects of the different systems together.

2. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I read it as $40 per visit if you're a visitor. If you take a membership, then the price for each visit goes down the more times you visit a week.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Okay- so you think for a member who takes a group class 6+ times a week the group class is $25 EACH time? That is an insanely expensive group class (and that is the deepest discount), imo. Especially since you ALSO have to pay for the ice ($10).

I also didn't see what the membership fee was.

4. query5

query5 New Member

dont forget you have to pay for the name Ilia Kulik. ekaterina Gordeeva

they are former ogm medalist, and going to charge you for that fact which includes the ice, help, zambonie etch

5. skfan

skfan New Member

^ every coach/skater/choreographer/skating center is to an extent relying on past records to draw in students/income. that's not unreasonable, is it?

i'm sure if all kulik/gordeeva/any famous former competitor/ had to offer was their name, students would soon wise up and go elsewhere.

i think the world of katia's skating skills and kulik's jumps and charisma, and if katia/ilia can produce students who have even one tenth of her grace, one tenth of his power and oomph, it would make COP programs much more watchable to me.

6. sandi

sandi New Member

What is the title of the book?

7. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Yes, the rink is small, but I heard typical training rinks in Russia are small. Russians often practice jumps in a circle, and they do just fine. There are many NHL size rinks and a few Olympic size rinks in the area, so skaters have no problem practicing their programs. Lake Arrowhead is a training rink, but the ice there is smaller, too.

I've heard from skaters who have been to the Kulik's rink that the ice is the best and the facility is beautiful. Good luck to Ilia and Katya!

8. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

80 ft x 130 ft is not terrible. Certainly it's not Olympic or NHL, to be sure, but it's not terrible.
    And the facility looks terrific.

Here in SoCal:

• The Rinks/Yorba Linda Ice is 85 x 184
    • KHS small rink is 85 x 185
    • Ontario Ice Center (old Ontario) is 80 x 165
    • Riverside small rink is 85 x 185

Many skaters that train on the smaller sheets use a "Russian style" or "circular" approach to their jumps, rather than straight line.
    A week or two prior to competition, they may go to the Oly or NHL sheets (Anaheim Ice, Paramount, East/West, Lakewood, Toyota, Center) and run their programs on the larger surface.

I remember the "Las Vegas Arts Academy" with it's "show sheet". That was a small sheet of ice. I don't remember the exact size, but it was something like 40 x 80. It was tiny!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. marysy

marysy Active Member

Does anyone know why the ice surface is so small? Were there constraints in the size of the original warehouse that Ilia acquired?

Also, at what level did Daria stop competing? I remember seeing she had most of her doubles...

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Intermediate. I don't know if she ever attempted 2A in competition (ETA: Whether or not a skater masters a 2A often is a determining factor in a skater's decision to continue competing.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  11. lulu

lulu New Member

Ilia's jumping video: :swoon: Besides the jumping, Ilia also had excellent footwork and choreography (as a professional skater) as well. Katia's basic skills are nothing short of divine. I would love to take basic skating skill lessons from Ekaterina Gordeeva. :)

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wish them all the best. Ilia and Katia would be a wonderful coaching duo - each has a lovely combination of great technique and performance quality. Plus they both seem to really enjoy the sport and seem eager to share their enthusiasm for skating. That would be a very attractive combination for skaters of all ages and levels. I know Ilia has done a number of coaching seminars in the past, and the skaters have always seemed to enjoy them and found them beneficial.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't see what the big issue is with the ice size.

Yes, it is not Olympic or NHL size, but it's certainly large enough to work on most elements and to do program run-throughs.

And IME you have to be able to adjust your competitive program to any size rink and to the features of the rink you're competing in each time - e.g. where the gates in the boards are, what markings there are on the ice, what "features" of the rink you're going to use to help you in your program (like what object you're going to look at to steady yourself when you come out of a spin). So your home rink ice being smaller is not a disadvantage.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder how moves and dance patterns on a small rink work.

15. overedge

I am certainly not a high-level ice dancer by any definition :) but on the dances I can do, you make the lobes a LOT deeper and fit the pattern in that way.

I once competed in solo ice dance on a rink that was about 2/3 smaller than my home rink, and I think I did some of my best leaning and edges ever. Because I was desperately trying to finish the pattern before I ran into the boards :lol:

16. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I mean no disrespect, but have you ever skated, overedge? While it's not that big of a deal to go back and forth between Olympic and NHL size rinks (Olympic rinks are 15 feet wider) it still definitely takes a little adjusting. And that is with only a difference of 15 feet in width. With Katia and Illia's rink, you are talking about SEVENTY FEET in LENGTH! That is a HUGE difference. Yes, the rink is big enough to work on elements, but to do actual program run throughs- I don't see it. You can't just adjust to being on a rink that is 70 feet longer and remotely expect to fill out the rink. Now I wonder if that is why Liza T. was so criticized for having her whole program on only one end of the rink last year, getting almost no adequate ice coverage. I wonder if she trains on a small rink such as this in Russia?

Forget about practicing dance patterns on that surface. The whole timing of the dance would be off when trying to fit it on that short of a surface.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  17. lulu

lulu New Member

Ha! Maybe Katia & Ilia did this on purpose to give their skaters an 'edge':p over the competition. ;) But seriously, everything I'm reading about the rink sounds wonderful. I love their inclusive "skating is for everyone" philosophy, both Katia and Ilia are fantastic skaters, and they have given a lot of thought to their sport over the years, and it shows. Their students are lucky to have them.

18. overedge

Um, yes, if you would read my post you would see that I have actually skated, and in rinks of many different sizes. And I stand by what I said. With a much smaller rink I would definitely not take a program directly into competition at a larger rink without first running through it on a comparable-size surface, but it would not be completely impossible to practice it on a smaller rink.

19. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Yeah, let's see you learn and practice the ice dance patterns on that. It may work for the lowest dances, but intermediate or upper level ones? Probably not. You'd be totally off time and/ or off pattern. And like I said, how do you expect to just adjust to a rink that is suddenly 70 ft longer and have to fill out that surface? Magic? I don't think so. It's one thing if your rink is a little smaller, like Lake Arrowhead, you just push harder and deal with it. Just pushing harder is NOT going to work when you have 70 more feet to deal with. That would totally affect a program's choreography.

20. overedge

What part of "I would definitely not take a program directly into competition at a larger rink without first running through it on a comparable-size surface" did you miss?

21. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Given the amount of ice available in Southern California, I'd prefer to train at full size rinks for FS programs, dances, and MITF. Why risk shrinking a pattern to 2/3 REGULARLY when there are full size rinks around?

Everything else sounds great about the rink, and I'd love to take a stroking lesson for Katia too!!!! :swoon: :swoon:

22. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

I noticed Courtney Hicks in their welcome video. Interesting to see her working with them as well. The facilty does look beautiful.

23. AnnM

AnnM New Member

I don't know how I'd get through a lesson with Ilia without blushing and giggling like a teenager.

Although maybe this is the motivation I need to resume skating regularly. :)

24. marysy

marysy Active Member

I feel the same about Katia! Quite honestly, I'd be happy to pay the lesson fee just to watch her practice or stroke all day...I might be too embarrassed to show her what I can (or in this case, cannot) do!

In the rink schedule, the reserved time in the evening says that Ilia is practicing for the Medal Winners Open in Japan -- how I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that!

25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Wonderful development for Katia & Ilia. May they have lots of success & inspire a whole new generation of skaters.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Do they have a dance coach on staff? Maybe they aren't thinking about ice dancing yet.

IMO, ice size only starts to matter when skaters reach more advanced levels. Little kids only use half the ice anyway. Maybe they arrange for ice time elsewhere to prepare their more advanced skaters for competition.

I wonder if their longer term plans include addition of a second, full size rink. It is often a good business approach not to start to big too soon.

27. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Just found it on the library website, it was "Skate Talk: In the words of the stars" by Steve Milton. It was published around 1998, I don't remember if Ilia was already OGM in it. It had a bunch of interviews with other skaters and stuff too, there was Toller Cranston IIRC and several others.

Me neither. And then he would ask me to jump and I'd be all "Yeah right! Like I'm going to show Mr Gorgeous Triple Axel my piddling waltz jumps?" :shuffle:

It seems like they are the only two coaches "on staff", but on the website it openly welcomes other coaches to the rink to pop in as long as they're accredited. Which IMO is a fabulous idea.

28. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

First off...Congratulations to Ilia and Katia for finally getting this off the ground and going. I know it's been a dream of Ilia's for a long time and I hope it's all the success he's dreaming it will be.

Second...I remember watching the then Champions Series Final coverage and they were showing Ilia backstage warming up on the floor. My Dad was ooohing and awwing over the one jump he'd just done and how impressive it had been. I turned to him and told him it was even more impressive than he thought. The last jump on the floor of Ilia's they showed? A Quad Toe.

Didn't think Dad's eyes would be going back in his head again. LOL!!!

29. sandi

sandi New Member

Thanks for the info! Look forward to reading it! There are used copies on Amazon for less than four bucks including shipping! Definitely ordering it when I get my paycheck.

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm I find your attitude a bit rude.

In dance timing is timing. You skate to the beat, not the ice surface. And I agree with overedge that if you skate on a smaller rink, you make your edges deeper and work harder at it. It is what my coaches have always told me. It is not such a bad thing.

And I have seen skaters from a tiny rink (less than 1/3 Olympic size) successfully expand a program to a full ice surface. It can be done.

Anyway skating is skating. Kulik and Gordeeva probably have some of the best edges in the business. Want to get advice from the best then you will go there, not matter what the surface size is.