New Kulik/Gordeeva skating center

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Kasey, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Ilia Kulik and Ekaterina Gordeeva have opened a skating center in southern California...interesting. Hope it will be successful for them, and the skaters who will choose to train there.
  2. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I wonder if their ice surface size is a typo:

http://www.kuliksskating.com/our-facility.html

Huh? NHL standard size is 85 ft. by 200 ft, and Olympic size is of 30 × 60 meter (just under 100 ft. by 200 ft).

Not sure I'd want a competitive skater training (programs in particular) on a such a shorter surface on a regular basis, when there are ample full size ice surfaces in the area.

Though this is tempting:
    ...since I have encountered some of the absolute coldest rinks on a regular basis in California. (Which has always surprised me, given the energy costs... though perhaps in some buildings the colder temperatures help keep costs down -- not sure at all how that works for an ice rink versus the electric costs associated with cooling a normal home/building).
  3. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Open the website and the first thing I see is "Adult Skaters" and a little spiel about how skating is for everyone.

I love Ilia so much! :p

Swish-looking building. It seems well-organised.

Hmm, non-local skaters, ey? I wonder how much to go to California... :lol:

Gym-use fee included for members, and I'm surprised how reasonable Ilia and Katia's private-lesson rates are. Olympic champions could feasibly charge a LOT more than that.

(OT: My god is Liza really 11 now?!)

Very good website with tons of info - you can even book sessions online. This is no two-bit operation - there has been a LOT of thought and planning gone into this (although I can remember Willowway mentioning this as early as a year ago and mentioning that it had been well-planned then).

Well done Ilia and Katia!
  4. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Ohh, if I only still lived in Orange County!!!
  6. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Am so excited for them, hoping it is a huge success! And, it certainly looks a LOT nicer than the other rink in Lake Forest, consisting of a sheet of ice in a cold, unfinished warehouse - big difference with the temperatures they are referencing.
  7. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the info. :) I remember a few years ago when Ilia was talking about opening up a skating rink, glad to see their rink up and running. It looks like a lot of time, effort and thought went into the rink and I hope it's a success.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. tut88

tut88 New Member

So
    Good luck guys !!!

Hope it will be a success !!
    It looks beautiful !!
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hopefully the surface size is a typo.

Given the arena is dedicated to figure skating, you'd want it to be Olympic sized.
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

11. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

How to do full program run thru if it's only 2/3 of standard hockey rink size? Very sad as it looks like a great facility otherwise and I'd loveto check it out if I'm in town...
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, as a competitive athlete you really want to work on a fully size surface. :confused:
  13. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Kulik's Krew is so proud of Ilia, and Katia and Liza!!

This dream has been in works for a while and Ilia has paid attention to every detail and made every decision himself after careful study and consideration. I an confident that all of his work will be well worth it and that his coaching, and Katia's, will be exciting and inspiring to so many competitive and non-competitive skaters over the years to come.

Excited about Kulik's Skating!!!
  14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

But not Daria?
  15. Sylvia

Daria stopped skating/competing quite a while ago. Liza is competing at the Juvenile level this season.

Here's the Team USA bio of Amanda Gelb, the 2012 U.S. Novice Ladies bronze medalist, whose testimonial is on the Kulik's Skating web site: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101511&mode=I
  16. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I know, but Willoway's post referred to the creation of the rink, not skating.
  17. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Needless to say, Kulik's Krew is very proud of Daria as she goes farther down the road as a college student.

In this context I was of course referring to Kulik's Skating and if you look at the welcoming video on the home page you'll see Ilia, Katia and Liza - that formed my frame of reference for Kulik's Skating discussion.
  18. Sylvia

Cute video - fun to hear Liza's very American accent!
  19. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Omg I have a dream to have Katia make up a a program for me, at 30$ for 15 min that is roughly what I paid for my last one!!!and I will be insan Diego next march....... I wonder if she would do a *ahem* lowered level adult skater a program?????
    Not they I could do any of the moves!!! Sooooo cool!!!
  20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YAY that they mention ADULT skating! Bread and butter for coaches!

There is a vid compiling Ilia's jumps. :swoon: Almost looks like he could have done a quad axel. Perfect air position.
  21. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Why did they hide the address? LOL!

The "our facility" tab would be a GOOD place to tell the public WHERE your facility is. Just a thought!

And apparently they have classes but no schedule? I guess you could try to weed through that calendar to figure it out, but... not very user friendly

All in all they need help with that webpage if it's going to bring in any $$$
  22. Sylvia

The rink address is listed on the Contact page.
  23. Carolla5501

Yes, I know but they are NOT making it easy for the public to find. It's not suppose to be a game of "hide and seek"
  24. misskarne

Um...did you click the schedule tab? Seemed pretty easy to read to me. Ilia's classes at this time, Katia's at this time, Advanced here, booked ice here.

Don't know about you, but if I'm on a company website and want to know where they are the FIRST place I click is "Contact". *shrugs* Seems logical.

They do mention all the levels! ;) I could only dream! Alas, the plane ticket to Cali kinda puts it out of my league...

He admitted to landing a quad Axel on the floor once. :eek:

I really need to get that book out of the library again and scan that page for posterity.
  25. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I love that jump montage! His landing position was so beautiful!
  26. misskarne

Just watched the welcome video....Liza's gonna be just as tall as her daddy!

And now the jumps video...*sigh* <3 No-one jumps like he does. So soft, so fast, so high. Perfect. (As the commentators say.) And that spreadeagle-3A is always great.
  27. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Wow For all ages. love this
  28. Carolla5501

I clicked on schedule and got... the calendar.
    So how do you know WHEN the adult class is? Howe do you know if the classes run in sessions like at most skating skills? How do you know when the class you want to put YOUR kid in is?

I know where this is. He's going to have to bring in some students from the local area IMHO to make it work and that's VERY possible. But...

Maybe they think that only "professional" wannabe skaters will be enough to support the rink, but thats unlikely IMHO especially with the rink size issue already discussed on here.

I work in the area and might be interested in an adult class. Make it EASY on me to find out if it works with my schedule. Don't say "we like adult skaters" and then say "spend your free time hunting for our class on this calendar" LOL!

Maybe it's becasue I have a background in marketing, but you put the "how to find us to spend money" on page 1 of your web site. You put the "what we sell" in an easy to access format.

I guess if all you want are dedicated full time skaters then you don't have to do that, but considering the area and number of places already competing for "full time" skaters you might need some "part time play skaters" for additional cash flow.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish them every success with the new rink.
    Any skater would be fortunate to have their coaching/counsel - whatever their level and aspirations.
  30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I was confused by this too. It says an on-ice group class is $40. Is that for a single class? Or a session? It is insanely high for one class, but really low for, say, an 8-week course.

Also, WHEN are these classes held?

I like the idea of this facility, but the website isn't fabulous.
  31. lulu

lulu New Member

ITA. :) It's hard to believe she's 11 already. She looks as much like Ilia as Daria looks like Sergei.

BTW, are there currently any other coaches permanently based at the rink, besides Katia & Ilia? Both Katia and Ilia have such a wealth of skating experience and experience with different coaching styles/systems; the old Soviet system, training in post-Soviet Russia, and everything in the U.S. from recreational ISI style skating to elite level. It would be interesting to see how/if their coaching styles meshes the various aspects of the different systems together.
  32. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I read it as $40 per visit if you're a visitor. If you take a membership, then the price for each visit goes down the more times you visit a week.
  33. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Okay- so you think for a member who takes a group class 6+ times a week the group class is $25 EACH time? That is an insanely expensive group class (and that is the deepest discount), imo. Especially since you ALSO have to pay for the ice ($10).

I also didn't see what the membership fee was.
  34. query5

query5 New Member

dont forget you have to pay for the name Ilia Kulik. ekaterina Gordeeva

they are former ogm medalist, and going to charge you for that fact which includes the ice, help, zambonie etch
  35. skfan

skfan New Member

^ every coach/skater/choreographer/skating center is to an extent relying on past records to draw in students/income. that's not unreasonable, is it?

i'm sure if all kulik/gordeeva/any famous former competitor/ had to offer was their name, students would soon wise up and go elsewhere.

i think the world of katia's skating skills and kulik's jumps and charisma, and if katia/ilia can produce students who have even one tenth of her grace, one tenth of his power and oomph, it would make COP programs much more watchable to me.
  36. sandi

sandi New Member

What is the title of the book?
  37. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Yes, the rink is small, but I heard typical training rinks in Russia are small. Russians often practice jumps in a circle, and they do just fine. There are many NHL size rinks and a few Olympic size rinks in the area, so skaters have no problem practicing their programs. Lake Arrowhead is a training rink, but the ice there is smaller, too.

I've heard from skaters who have been to the Kulik's rink that the ice is the best and the facility is beautiful. Good luck to Ilia and Katya!
  38. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

80 ft x 130 ft is not terrible. Certainly it's not Olympic or NHL, to be sure, but it's not terrible.
    And the facility looks terrific.

Here in SoCal:

• The Rinks/Yorba Linda Ice is 85 x 184
    • KHS small rink is 85 x 185
    • Ontario Ice Center (old Ontario) is 80 x 165
    • Riverside small rink is 85 x 185

Many skaters that train on the smaller sheets use a "Russian style" or "circular" approach to their jumps, rather than straight line.
    A week or two prior to competition, they may go to the Oly or NHL sheets (Anaheim Ice, Paramount, East/West, Lakewood, Toyota, Center) and run their programs on the larger surface.

I remember the "Las Vegas Arts Academy" with it's "show sheet". That was a small sheet of ice. I don't remember the exact size, but it was something like 40 x 80. It was tiny!
  39. marysy

marysy Active Member

Does anyone know why the ice surface is so small? Were there constraints in the size of the original warehouse that Ilia acquired?

Also, at what level did Daria stop competing? I remember seeing she had most of her doubles...
  40. Sylvia

Intermediate. I don't know if she ever attempted 2A in competition (ETA: Whether or not a skater masters a 2A often is a determining factor in a skater's decision to continue competing.)