New JPN Pair: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by NMURA, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

While I'm happy that they achieved the Oly-minimum scores, I'm a bit nervous about their chances of earning one of the 4 remaining Oly spots via Nebelhorn. The good news is that the competition in Obertsdorf is not so tough; Kemp/King (UK) are my only "sure bets" to earn one of those 4 spots. Japan has, IMO, as good a chance as Belarus, Bulgaria, Poland, & Ukraine to earn one of the others. So I continue to hope and pray for Japan.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Poland definitely isn't going to be earning one. :p

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

5. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Some of the Chinese male skaters in pairs field like Jian Tong and Cong Han are not macho type. Yeah, Jian Tong is definitely tall but Cong Han is rather short. I don't think Kihara is too short as a pairs skater. The point is Kihara is still skinny as a pairs skater, while his upper body looks much more built than in spring. He has long way to go but anyway he's been going aherad. I'm pretty much moved by their efforts to be a serious team.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe this is exactly what the Japanese Federation needs. Maybe this will jump-start an interest in Pairs and bring more Pairs-appropriate men into skating.

7. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I think they have a really good chance of qualifying, helps they are better single skaters than Kemp/King so we will have to see :)

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Japan has such a wealth of talent in singles! Many talented skaters don't even make the world/Oly team. Pairs could be an option for them, if the men work on strengthening certain muscles. Narumi is tiny, so it's not hard at all for Kihara to lift and throw her. They are understandably slow, as a new pair. They have to develop their timing and togetherness. It will be great if they make the Olympic team.

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't think he is given enough credit for time under his belt and for what he can accomplish in the future. He can become a great pairs skaters in time, just like any others pairs skater if given the same amount of time and training. Robin, Max, Alexander, Dylan, Tong and Eric didn't wake up great pairs skaters....it took time and training. That same time and training needs to be put into him and/or other men if other men in Japan were patient enough to try pairs.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

With the team event now in the Olympics, the JSF are certainly directing more funding to the development of pairs and ice dance. Hopefully, that will help encourage other Japanese skaters to try them out.

11. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Kihara is listed as 5'9", same height as Mervin Tran. So yes he's on the short side for a male pairs skater, but it's manageable because Narumi is so tiny, just 4'9".

I think they look quite good considering they've only been together 9 months and especially considering he had no prior pairs experience. Obviously the lifts are still basic, and they don't have the triple twist yet, and speed is slow. But they look good together. Their lines match well, they move together well. I see some long-term potential, more than I expected. With several years' training and more strength on his part, they might do well.

12. itoaxel

itoaxel Member

Good luck to them! I hope they can achieve same things Narumi achieve with Marvin Tran if possible.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

One result of the Team competition (which I didn't realize before) is that Federations who are strong in some disciplines and weak in others (or in Japan's case, absent) may start developing in those weaker disciplines. Plus, now more skaters would be willing to train in those underpopulated disciplines for a chance to not only compete at the Olympics to actually win a medal if the other disciplines are strong enough to carry them.

14. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Japan win Olympic Team Gold in 2018; they're hard workers and learn fast! :hat1:

15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of both Mervin's and Narumi's new pairings sans each other, they will both have a long uphill battle with their new partners, albeit Narumi and Ryuichi are in a better position obviously to compete at Worlds and Olympics fairly quickly with the lack of pairs depth in Japan.

No way for either Mervin or Narumi to achieve "same things" with new partners. What they had together was very special and can not be repeated. Let their new partnerships break new ground, if possible. Good luck to Mervin and Narumi in their different journeys, and thanks for the memories.

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wouldnÂ’t go that far! With everything Narumi achieved with Tran as a pair and Ryuichi as a single skater, they should have no trouble coming together as a pair and achieving greatness with hard work. They already achieved minimums and 7th place this past weekend. So by the next Olympics they can be great, If Tran can lean pairs quickly so can Ryuichi. They are still very young.

17. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I just got caught up on the clips of Takahasi & Kihara's programs for this season and I have to say I'm very impressed with how well Kihara has picked up pairs skating in a very short period of time.

Hopefully their technical content will be enough to get them one of the four open Olympic spots at Neblehorn this week.

If he can continue to develop his upper body and get more comfortable doing lifts and twists, I think they have a very bright future ahead of them.

18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I agree - they are coming along nicely and he is picking up on pairs quickly. I think it's a smart strategy to keep the pairs elements simple for now and focus on performing them cleanly. I also hope they get one of the pairs spots at Nebelhorn, but they should be in Sochi for the team event no matter what. Narumi is such a lovely skater and it's great that she did not lose her jumps with all of her time off (if anything, they look improved).

Watching them did make me miss Takahashi and Tran, and after watching their Worlds 2012 skates again, I agree that it will be tough for either new team to recapture that magic. But it's still early yet and the skaters are all young, so hopefully in a few years both new partnerships will be very strong.

19. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I think they still need to qualify for one of the spots at Nebelhorn in order to participate in the team event, unless you mean they should be there as cheerleaders.

20. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Teams are allowed to have up to one entrant who did not qualify on their own, so I was assuming that T/K would be the entrant for Japan even if they don't qualify to compete individually. I had forgotten that the Reeds are not yet qualified for Sochi, so there is a possibility that if the Reeds didn't qualify individually, they would be the additional team sent. But I think the Reeds are pretty likely to get one of the available dance spots at Nebelhorn, so Japan would be free to include T/K in pairs.

21. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Oh, ok. I didn't know that. Like everyone it seems, I don't know all the rules for the team event. :)

22. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

It is the video which is related to the official practice of Takahashi Narumi and Kihara Ryuichi who participates to the Nebelhorn Trophy which is hosted in Oberstdorf, Germany.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGUCSVfHAK4

23. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I am surprissed at how well they look together. I've never believed in this possible pair but now I see a lot of potential for the future
    Narumi is such a beautiful and elegant skater, as well as being a little firecracker!
    Good luck for them!

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They earned the SP Worlds (24) and 4C's/Olympics (20) TES minimums with TES of 27.39.

25. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's great that Takahashi & Kihara already have their SP TES minimums for all the upcoming major events. And hopefully Ryuichi's success will encourage other young male skaters to give pairs or dance a try in Japan. There are probably lots of little Narumis out there that would make great pairs skaters that just need a partner!

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Lots of work to be done still but it's a promising start for them, given he's new to pairs.

27. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Just saw their FS "Les Miserable" at Nebelhorn. It was shame Narumi did multiple falls. She had a rather long blank for the reason of injury, and she changed her partner as well. Maybe she had some difficulties to adjust her jumps in the competitions. I was moved by Kihara's solid jumps. He can help the team in that aspect since he was a former single skater. I loved their FS even with the falls and basic techniques. Thanks to Reeds, Japan got the spot for the Olympic team events and Japan can add one skater/team who are not qualified. So maybe Takahasi/Kihara will be able to skate at Olympics. Both of them have a lot to work but I wish the best for their future.:cheer:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Takahashi was never a very consistent jumper.