New JPN Pair: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by NMURA, Jan 29, 2013.

1. NMURA

NMURA Member

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yay! So happy to hear that she has a new partner. I loved T/T, but sadly, I don't think Japan was very willing to support his citizenship quest.

3. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

:cheer: Glad to hear she has a partner and I hope it works out well! :)

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

It will be interesting to find out where and with whom they will train. I assume this has not yet been revealed?

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

My kind of skater -- hobby of visiting old castles!

Given how quickly some of the other new pairs teams have managed to jell, perhaps we can see them in Sochi if they can qualify at Nebelhorn. (And I'm guessing they will be Japan's entry for pairs in the team event, but it still seems unclear as to whether or not that puts you on the "real" Olympic team.)

7. midori

midori Well-Known Member

The news was not even officially announced but just leaked by someone, according to the articles.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

By "real" do you mean qualified for the Pairs event, too? I suspect if all goes well they'll try for one of the remaining 4 spots at Nebelhorn. Otherwise Japan can appoint them for the Team Event (assuming there are no minimum scores for appointed skaters, or if there are, that T/K make them).

Best of luck to them!

9. NMURA

NMURA Member

In this kind of article, "related person" (関係者) definitely means JSF officials. Kihara couldn't land the 3A at National Sports Festival (as expected), and his PCS was quite low compared to Nationals and other skaters. I had a hunch that THEY are advising him to give up singles careers and concentrate on pairs.

10. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

If he doesn't have pairs experience, it might take a while for him to get up to competition standard. James/Cipres are probably the most similar pairing to this one (though Narumi has more pairs experience than Vanessa did at the beginning of that partnership) and we saw that it took them a while.

Anyway, good luck to them. I hope Mervin Tran will find a good partner quickly, too.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Unless he actively dislikes Pairs, he could treat this as an experiment subsidized by the Japanese Federation, and if he's even competent, it's a trip to the Olympics, if only for the SP in the team event. Chances are, if they're sent to Montreal, he'll be able to work on his singles skills on the side.

13. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Narumi & Ryuichi as they begin their partnership. And hopefully he'll be able to adapt to pairs skating quite well.

14. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I certainly wish them the best and hope to see them qualify for Sochi! Just looking at the YouTube video, I know it's from a couple years ago, he looks to be quite small, I know Narumi is quite the tiny lady herself but hopefully he can really work on his strengthening and conditioning and qualify a spot for Japan. I hope Mervin can continue on in his capacity as well.

15. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I hope I don't come off as petty, but I can't help but feel bitter about this

Good for her, I suppose. Now she'll have a chance at competing at the Olympics

16. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

He is about the same size as Tran. Obviously, a very good single skater.
    I would be surprised to see them train in Montreal, since Gauthier put Tran and Takahashi together and the JSF kinda forced a breakup.

17. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Hiroshi Nagakubo, the coach of Akiko Suzuki and Kihara, is a former pairs skater himself and he represented Japan at the 1972 Olympics.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I wish this new pairing well and look forward to seeing them. :)

19. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Where do you know this from? My sources, quite reliable ones, state the opposite: JSF was trying very hard to keep Takahashi/Tran together, but she wanted to end the partnership.

But I am happy to hear that Narumi found a new partner and I hope the same happens for Mervin soon.

20. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I jumped into conclusion then. I knew she wanted out. I thought that the fed was behind it.

21. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

Best of luck to this new team. Will be interesting to see how quickly he'll be able to develop pairs skills and how quickly they'll be able to develop their partnership. I wish them all the best!

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Who will be there coach?

23. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Was it motivated by a desire to go to the Olympics or was it personal? Sorry if I'm prying..

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I misunderstood and thought the Japanese Federation did not want to continue supporting them as a pair, because he was unlikely to be granted citizenship.

It's interesting that they are supporting her, given their investment in T/T, even if she went against their wishes. I know it is in their best interest to have a Pairs team in Sochi, either appointed for the Team Event or qualified at Nebelhorn, but it might have just been decency on their part.

25. midori

midori Well-Known Member

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Good luck to them both. I'll love seeing Narumi in competition again. As much as I loved her with Tran, I understand the desire to try and get to the Olympics.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

So he does not have any pairs experience?

28. NMURA

NMURA Member

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I watched Ryuichi Kihara live at one of the JGPs (or maybe twice even).

He was a solid jumper with jumps up to 3lutz/3toe being consistent but didn't have a 3axel. Given he level of skating in Japan, pairs is definitely the way go.

I have one problem with this however. IIRC, his basics weren't great and he was really wooden and expressionless.

Takahashi/Tran's biggest strength was stunning choreography, executed beautifully. That's not something Kihara is capable of. Hopefully he can improve but I imagine that for now, they will look like Stojko skating with Kostner or something. :p

Now the biggest question: Who will they train with?

I really really hope they continue to work with Gauthier and Marcotte.

But there might be bad blood maybe if Narumi decided to dump Mervin?

Thanks for clearing that, Eislauffan. People were jumping into conclusions too quickly.

It's only understandable that Narumi would want to compete at the Olympics.

He never competed as a pairs skater, no. Whether he dabbled at it at some point, no idea but given the lack of pair skating in Japan, probably not.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  30. NMURA

NMURA Member

Kihara is a student of Chukyo University which owns ice rinks for figure skating (main and sub). The JSF is using them as training bases for designated Team athletes. It also has accommodations for skaters and coaches. They can train there. As for the coach, probably Utako Wakamatsu is available. Kihara's coach Nagakubo has some pairs experiences around the time of Sapporo Olympics. He might be some help.

Nevertheless, it would be better to train abroad since they need short term achievements. They can concentrate more on skating in somewhere with lesser diversions. Although I don't know about Kihara's English ability, as long as he needs to rely on Narumi to communicate, their intimacy will increase.