New John Curry Biography - 'Alone: the Triumph & Tragedy of John Curry' published.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by floskate, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Wow! John curry! Way before my time but I am simply mesmerized. Can't find too many clips of his competitive skates but here's one from 1973 worlds which I kept watching and rewatching since this thread started

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTP8bDOD3c

The slow section to Tcahikovskys "pathetique" symphony is just a dream to watch. Those Ina Bauers! We just don't have skating like this any more. What a legend.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  2. floskate

floskate Vacant

I have a couple of others but this was by far his best amateur performance leading up to 1976. It was after this performance in Bratislava that he was approached by Ed Mosler. He really should have medalled here but came 4th behind a teenage Jan Hoffmann skating to a nasty instrumental of O Sole Mio and landing only one triple. His 1975 Worlds LP to Bolero used to be on youtube somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I may upload it later, but here are his gorgeous exhibitions from the 1974 Europeans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2zEtEo24E

3. Kelvster

Thank you, floskate. I had tears in my eyes watching John curry's skates.

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

MR-FAN, BittyBug, gkelly and 2 others like this.
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Whatever you feel like sharing, of course!

6. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

He was a true genius, beautiful to watch.

Curry died about two years before the anti-viral "cocktail" of drugs were found to be effective in treating AIDS. Way too many people are still not getting these drugs.

7. Kelvster

thanks again floskate.

would welcome more videos of john's competitive skates. Simply can't get enough of them!!!

The 1975 worlds performance was fabulous!

K.

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Yes, please. And thank you ever so much. :)

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

leigh466 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Fantastic! You are so right in your observation about Curry's attention to detail. He was truly a master at accenting the music.

BTW - The quality of this clip is amazing, especially considering how old it is. You rock! :rockstar:

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For ballet fans, the first section is to the end of last movement of Tchaikovsky's Suite No. 3, which Balanchine used for "Theme and Variations," created for American Ballet Theatre (Alicia Alonso and Igor Youskevitch), to which Balanchine added the first three movements when he created "Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3" for New York City Ballet. The third part sounds like Borodin, but I can't put my finger on it.

That was one of his first, if not the first, costumes that caused a big controversy. Seriously.

Just exquisite. I love the music to "Raymonda" :swoon:.

12. skatesindreams

This is also one of mine,
    Thanks for making it more widely available.

13. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Thank you so much for the videos. I had never seen these before. Absolutely beautiful.

14. once_upon

once_upon Yes, I will have some cheese with that wine

According to the CDC and US statistics, death from HIV continued to rise/peak in 1993-1995 era, I assume that it was true in other areas too.

I read only excerpts of the book, but was saddened by the depression, self destructive behaviors described in the short part that I read. He was truly an amazing artist.

15. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Just finished the book. Fascinating. The arc of Curry's life, his struggles and ultimately the kind of peace he found at the end is unusual and thought-provoking. He was not an easy or predictable personality but he was a great artist with the complexities that artists often have. His difficulties in relating to other people and to the very activity, skating, he loved and the bounces from elation to depression, hitting all the bases in between, seem even at a great distance absolutely exhausting. At about the 3/4 point in the book I was wondering whether the unrelieved cycle of 'excitement in a new professional project/brilliant work/devolution into temperament and troubled relationships/desire to run from the project' would ever end. Of course it did and in many ways, sadly. But much of great beauty (see any of the videos listed above) was created despite the troubles and he made an extraordinary contribution to skating. He also had moments of great joy, though they often seem over-shadowed by the anger, lashing out and despair. His dignity and equanimity in tackling AIDS and dying is as remarkable as his frustration and difficult behavior in dealing with earlier business issues and relationships (professional and personal). An intriguing and complex person who deserved every bit of praise, every bit of exasperation and finally, every bit of respect and appreciation. He was extraordinary and even though I knew that before picking up this book, my understanding of what "extraordinary" can mean, both positively and negatively, has been expanded.

Time well spent with this book and with John Curry.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts about Curry and this new biography, Willoway.

17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Thank you so very much for all of these videos. :respec:

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sounds like a very interesting book. I know so little about John Curry, other than some of his masterpieces I watched on YT.

19. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

John Curry - A true visionary with unsurpassed quality to his skating. I have a (U.S.) pre-order for the hard copy of the new biography & can't wait to read it, although I am sorry for his unhappiness during his last years.

His work had such an influence on this art student in the 1970s. And still does after all these years.

floskate, Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful exhibition performances.

20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most of John's life was heavy with sadness----from childhood to the end.

21. aftershocks

^^ I think it's obviously extremely difficult to overcome the challenge of having a parent abuse you emotionally (or physically, of course). But perhaps the emotional scars are the most devastating. And apparently, having grown up in a different era, it seems that John never received professional help for learning how to deal with those deep emotional scars. At least he was able to pursue his ballet and skating dreams, and in the process he provided the world with great lasting beauty and moments of pure pleasure. That's a legacy to celebrate and for his family to cherish and be proud of.

skatesindreams and sadya like this.
  22. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

skatesindreams and sadya like this.
  23. aftershocks

^^ Many thanks, N_Halifax, for your interview with Bill Jones. Quite interesting and instructive to learn how Jones was motivated to write about Curry, and how he was able to solve the challenges of finding the resources/ archival documents, eyewitness accounts and family stories he needed in order to vividly and accurately reconstruct Curry's life story.

N_Halifax likes this.
  24. skatesindreams

Your interview made me even more anxious to read the book.
    Thanks, as always

N_Halifax likes this.
  25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. aftershocks

^^ Thanks for that article link about the biography, Sylvia. The Observer article is so very beautifully written by Bill Jones himself. :) I wish that I could get the book now, but alas I must wait.

27. skatesindreams

My copy is "in transit".

28. aftershocks

^^ Did you purchase it from Amazon UK?

29. skatesindreams

30. aftershocks

^^ Thanks very much, skatesindreams!

skatesindreams likes this.