New interview with Robin Szolkowy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nadin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Well, I love it. :cheer2: :cheer2:

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone could possibly hate it, it's completely brilliant. :drama:

(I'm such an uber, I know)

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

What a wonderful interview; he is so honest, I love it! :)

5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

OMG, Aliona as Laura Croft? :D

6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Love it! She would :kickass: in that role! :cheer:

Can't wait to see their programs! :D

7. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

but i´m thrilled to hear, that they are really planing to put some new throw elements into their programs; in former times i thought they just tried in training, to see if it would be possibe and played it safe in competetions. now, they see, they need to put pressure on the other teams and have to be competitive.
    i can´t wait to see if it´s the throw triple axle or quadruple flip i can´t imagine a quadruple twist or salchow

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I dont think they will do that. Last year they practised the quad flip but then de ided to stop because the risk of injury was too big.

They already have a extremely difficult program. As Robin said they are prone to make mistakes. I'drather they skate clean and show us their amazing programs- really how could you hate the free? Love it- than big unnessecary tricks

9. la.louise

la.louise New Member

Thanks for the interview. Well I love the program too, and something different yet again:cheer:
    Can't wait to see the full version and new costumes at Skate America.

10. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Great article. Robin does not mince words he is very honest and upfront about their skating and their goal to win Olympic Gold.
    Looking forward to seeing both programs at SA.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks, Nadin, for a fine interview with lots of interesting information.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I like that they're working with dance choreographers, too. Them, Lambiel, Jeremy Abbott. Should produce some more interesting programs & styles of movement on the ice.

13. viv

viv New Member

Pina Bausch - one of the greatest choreographers ever. If you have the opportunity to watch that film, go for it. Brilliant dance scenes.

It makes me so happy that S&S choose that music, can't wait to see the program.

14. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

I think it's a great choice for them, can't wait to see the full programme with costumes and everything in competition. I wasn't familiar with the music, but it's really growing on me.

Not so sure that they will be going for a quad. Having seen the short, I think a triple Axel may be more likely as their throw 2A really looked like they may have been practicing a triple, but I'd also prefer them to leave it out, focus on the other elements and just skate clean.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

They can probably try it at SKAM since the competition isn't that strong. Then they can see if they're willing to try it at the GPF or Worlds where V/T will be in a head to head comp. They wouldn't want to risk any mistakes there, but they might take a risk next week. I don't think it would hurt them if Aliona fell as long as she wasn't physically hurt. OTHO, both of their programs this season look really good as is. They may wait and see how they score compared to V/T before deciding if they need to up the ante.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Honestly, S/S have some of the hardest content in the world, and if they feel it's too much, then I understand not wanting to upgrade. They are inconsistent enough without doing so. I'd much rather seem them skate clean LPs.

17. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

18. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I love this couple, would be willing to pay the bucks to see them. Makes me want to go to you-tube and watch some skating.

19. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Robin sounds so honest and down-to-earth. I like him as a person.

20. Hedwig

He is a really great guy. And the one who keeps Ingo and Aljona sane, IMO. These two can be drama queens once in a while. ;)

I love how serious they take their choreo. Three months in a dance studio to learn contemporary dance is not easy feat. In a time and age where you have people like Joubert recycling his 6 year old Matrix program because he cannot be bothered to do a new choreography, this is even more commendable.

I am getting more and more excited about them with every year they compete.

21. la.louise

la.louise New Member

From this mdr interview and practice clip it looks like they are going for a throw triple axel in the short:
    http://www.mdr.de/sport/sport-im-osten/video18964.html

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  22. Nadin

Nadin Active Member

Thanks for the link. It's got one http:// too many in it by the way.

Interesting, so Ingo says that they're trying new elements which may result in not every competition having the desired outcome, ie 1st place.

23. Hedwig

Thanks for posting. Interesting interview. I will try to translate it in a minute.

I really hope they are not going for the 3axel. Especially not in the SP. :(
    They have a gorgeous gorgeous 3 flip and the 3 axel is just too much unnecessary risk, IMO.

24. Hedwig

Rough interview, sorry for any mistakes:

with the charge of being the heavy favorite, the season will start for S/S next week.

Robin: I think it is normal that once in a while you are fed up with everything. (They did not show what the question was). And then it is necessary that the one who is fed up talks about it or then stays in the corner for a while or stays at home for a day and then breaks up his whole apartment in frustration. (!!) And then on the next day everything is good again.

Next question to Aljona:
    "How is the atmosphere in your group."
    She laughs.
    "Very tantalizing. As always."

then reporter talks a bit, new ideas blah blah, unbeaten since October 2010.

Steuer:For me as coach it is difficult to tell them each season what they have to do in order to reach the top again. Each time it starts anew. The other skaters don't hibernate. It is hard work.
    we try new things, we practice new elements so not every competition will necessarily mean first place, we know that.

Robin: What we achieved till now was great but now we start anew and we know what that entails.

25. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

While I tend to agree with you from an arithmetical POV, I really believe that having the throw 3A might prove important when it comes to their standing with the judges. In the last two seasons, the judges have been wiling to put P/T & S/Z ahead of them in the SP with almost identical SS marks (let's face it, the German Fed is down there with Monaco when it comes to political clout) -and they will be willing to give V/T a margin over S/S if both skate clean. Now if S/S manage to get that standout element in their programmes, it should also give them a PCS boost and the judges will need a very good reason to put anyone above them -provided they are clean, of course.

26. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

I think they are the most professional skaters than what we've seen in a long time.