New Gracie Gold profile

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lamarenee, Feb 5, 2012.

1. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Seems like she has a good attitude. Her former coach makes it sound like the hype is actually helping her in some weird way.

3. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Great article. I like her more and more. Her jump technique really is incredibly stunning. Let's hope she stays on this same path of progression. Mind you, ice is slippery so the best of luck to her.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Winning juniors two years before the Olympics means a spot on the team is "all but assured"??? Really??

Guess that's why Shelby Lyons did so well in Nagano, as well as Alexe Gilles in Vancouver.

There are no guarantees. I hope that Gracie, her family and coaches are more realistic than that writer!

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, that's not what the article says. The sentence reads (bolded part mine):
    "If she continues to skate well, her place on the U.S. team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, is all but assured."

Based on the article, they come across as realistic to me.

6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Why should they be? They may have been on this board and read the over the top hype about how we should have thrown Alissa and/or Ashley off the World Team and sent Gracie (who as far as I know has never even skated a Senior event, but... why let stop us)

FSU seems to think she's the next YuNa or Michelle! LOL!

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

No, only a few individual on FSU think so. I feel like I'm already sick of all the Gracie Gold hype. Remember what Peggy Fleming said of Tiffany Chin in 84? "We might be watching the Olympic Champion of 1988."

8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, butt......

Chin was spectacular in Sarajevo!

Soon after the gold rush started here I looked up a few youtubes of Gracie's "spectacular" skates and found them :blah:
    I hope she keeps her jumps and improves greatly on everything else but most of all I hope she gets repackaged as everything from the dreadful costumes to that noise she calls "music" we're just awful IMO.

9. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I hope she continues with the sports psychologist as it's like any type of training it needs to keep ongoing, especially with adolescent girls and all the life changes they are going through anyway..

10. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

then why did you come in here?

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oh, pardon me. I didn't realize this thread's sole purpose was for the continuation of the Gracie Gold hype. OK, carry on then.

Gracie Gold for the Oscar.
    Gracie Gold for President.
    Gracie Gold for Walmart Employee of the year.
    Gracie Gold for the first female to walk on the moon.
    Gracie Gold for brokering peace in the Middle East.
    etc.

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

You left out Grammy, Emmy, Tony, and the Nobel.

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I've found the people who endlessly complain that people are hyping Gracie to the high heavens far outweigh, and are far more obnoxious, than the few who actually do.

Not to mention they relentlessly attribute quotes or declarations about her future that no one has even said.

14. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I hope she continues to do well. I'm ready for a new senior girl our present group are so mediocre.

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

That's because we need to be realistic. ;)

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Exactly.

If we had some world medallists in our top 3, it would be a different situation entirely.

We are sending to Worlds a girl who underrotates, flutzes, and double foots jumps as champion, and a girl whose head spins off into nowhere and falls all over the place about half the time as our silver medallist. We only have 2 slots.

A girl who can actually do all the triples short of the 3A is a phenomenon in the US these days.

Even the article linked in the OP is only hoping that Gracie can make the US team for Sochi.

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Amen to that. The current crop of Seniors have had their day and haven't gotten it done. Alissa will be 25 this year do we really think she is the answer? I do want to see if Agnes improves though at least she does the difficult jumps that the older girls can't or won't even try to do.

18. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

All of these expectations this early for Gracie can't do anything but hurt her at this age. She is yet to compete at Senior Nationals and people are already saying she will win Olympic Gold. Calm down people.

19. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

We saw some very promising girls at Senior Nat's this year. Angela Wang, for one. And although they're not age eligible now, Nina Jiang and Leah Kaiser. We have yet to see what a healthy Yasmin Siraj or Kiri Baga could accomplish. Or Christina Gao with more consistency and personality. It doesn't have to be up to Gold alone to save US Ladiezz.

20. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Can you provide a link to people saying she's going to win Olympic gold? I'd love to see this for myself. :)

21. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

This.

Seems like there are more of these than actual Gracie ubers.

22. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

The title of the article for one.

23. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I think she is a very nice skater. It was the Send her to worlds chant I found disturbing. Gee, she hasn't trained a Senior Program so let's send her unprepared. And that would do what????

Probably shatter her confidence, but ....... Long term vs short term. Giving her time to grow into a Senior will probably have better long term outcomes, but posters on here would be more then willing to see if we can screw that up

24. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

That's not someone posting here or anyone on her team saying it. It's some editor somewhere who knows squat about figure skating trying to come up with a catchy title.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Interesting article...but it's a bit too early to be hyping her for OGM. I do think (provided she stays healthy) she will have an impact on the US senior ladies field and will be a strong contender IF she shows improvement. Based on what I saw particularly in the exhibition, I saw a decent skater who hasn't quite figured out how to connect to the audience, but I didn't see a STAR. Her performance was not memorable to me- again, I feel as if people are telling me to take notice of her instead of allowing me to take notice of her for myself.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I would like to see her compete in at least a few senior level events before even talking about the Olympics. I have never seen a skater being hyped as much as Gracie is, at this stage of her career. May be because the USA has had a drought (sp?) of world championship contenders since 2006- after Sasha, Michelle and even Kimmie (she too was overhyped but at least she was competing at the senior level at that time).

27. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

When i meant Seniors i meant from the last Olympic cycle. I consider Wang, Keiser, and Jiang Juniors who skated as Seniors only at Nationals but who are part of the new wave of girls who will hopefully take over soon. When i meant the current crop i mean Mirai, Ashley, Alissa, Rachael and Caroline.

28. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

It's a good thing Gracie is already seeing a sports psychologist...:slinkaway

29. martyross

martyross Active Member

looking at the pics on her twitter, if i didn't know her age, i would swear she's 20-21.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!