New GBR pair: Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I thought I would start a new thread for this news now that this new team is listed to make their international debut at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria next month.

Re-posting from the Yankowskas partner search thread:

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I am glad Caitlin has a new partner. But, as an American pairs fan, I'm sad it's not a U.S. partner. She was one of our greatest talents, so to see her go to another country is disappointing. But I certainly understand it, she can't wait forever for a good U.S. partner to come along. I hope this partnership works out for her. I think his age is not ideal. Assuming they stay together, it will take them several years to get up to speed. That would make him 32 at least before they could even start to be competitive. But I wish them the best of luck and hope it works out for her. I am a huge fan of Caitlin!

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Does this mean Caitlin has been released by the US? Or is that only needed for Championship level competitions?

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Glad she found a partner! I hope it goes well.

6. Sylvia

She was released by USFS earlier this summer, from what I heard.

Re-posting from the Ice Challenge thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Video description reads: "Bridget Namiotka and Hamish Gaman 2008 show (after skating together a couple months)"

7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'm glad the USFS has released Caitlin and she can concentrate on her new partnership with Hamish.

Best of luck to them both and looking forward to seeing how they do at Ice Challenge.

8. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Any idea where they are training? She was with Johnny Johns in Michigan when she skated with Joshua Reagan.

Wishing them the best!

9. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm disappointed Caitlin couldn't find a partner in the USA, but I'm happy for her that she has found a partner and will be competing soon for GB. I'll be rooting for her.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

A release is needed if you want to represent another country internationally.

11. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

I'm glad she found a partner but it is rather disappointing that she couldn't find one in the U.S.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If she had found an American partner, it wouldn't have been very likely for her to be able to compete internationally again given the level of US Pairs at the moment.

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

But why pick a partner who's already 30? He can't have many good years left.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's 160cm tall, if her ISU bio is correct, so she's not exactly spoiled for choice.

15. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

I think she's still in Michigan. My friend and I stopped by Canton before our flight out of Detroit after SA so she could check out the facilities, and she said she saw Caitlin there training with "a super tall guy."

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Good luck to them!! Interestingly enough, John Coughlin skated with Bridget Namiotka before skating with Caitlin. Partner-go-round!!

17. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

And Hamish is a big, tall guy :)

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Wow. I understand the height issue, of course; but he's 30 and no longer training... But I get it. If she's had great difficulty finding a partner, why not? I hope this works out for the both of them.

19. Skittl1321

I'm guessing she is looking for 4 years.

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So he's older and coming out of coaching to skate with her... it's her Stanislav Morozov, except Morozov was around 25 when he started skating with Volosozhar. I wish Caitlin the best of luck. If all they want is to go to the 2018 Olympics and she can get citizenship, that sounds realistic, but if they want international medals, it'll be a tough road starting out at this age... can anyone give some insight on Gaman? Was he considered the stronger or weaker partner in his pairings, what jumps did he have, was he consistent, was he a good lifter, etc?

21. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Depends on how he has been taking care of himself. There are some people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s who take better care of themselves and are in much better shape than some teens and 20 somethings. Hamish has been out of commission for 9 years in terms of ISU level competition. It appears he has only done exhibition skating publicly during the time he has been away from competition. It's not like he's been taking countless years of abuse on his body and living through all the rigorous training in practice and massive stress in ISU senior level competition a la John Baldwin Jr. I'm not saying it won't be difficult for them to adjust, but I don't believe it is impossible for them either. It's possible too that they just want to have the experience together and not necessarily the results. Who really knows what their intentions and goals are?

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think Yankowskas has any realistic chances of obtaining British citizenship in 4 years, especially considering they train in the US.

23. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Caitlin would need to be here full time for five years before being able to apply for British citizenship under current rules.

24. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

This video of him skating solo appears to have been filmed in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVafQb4F9w

He has a very strong build and presence on the ice, which appears to be very accommodating for pairs skating and he has a very solid, reliable 2Axel in this video and he performs a nice, clean 3toe too.

This video shows him skating in a show with Bridget Namiotka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbfXtSYEvI

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Or just someone to get her back into international competitions and improve her visibility to make her permanent partner search easier. This guy could be a placeholder.

26. Sylvia

I assume Kemp/King are retiring after this season, so there will be opportunities for Yankowskas/Haman to compete at Europeans/Worlds if all goes well for them. :cool:

27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Does everyone need to go to the Olympics? Some people just want to skate and don't need that 'once every four year competition' to make their career.

I also don't understand why people think because a skater turns a certain age they must retire from competitive skating. Just because a make pairs skater is 30 or 35 doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't compete if they want to.

I wish them both good luck and hope they are successful!

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  28. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Kemp/King are planning to retire, but Yankowskas/Haman could even go to Europeans this year, GB has two spots - the other competition would come from Amani Fancy/Christopher Boyadji, but I think they don't yet have the FS TES for Europeans.

Side note: If all these teams turn up at British nationals this year, it will be the first time since 1999 that there have been more than 2 senior pairs entered!

29. Skittl1321

No, but I think she's said before that it is one of her goals.

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I doubt that Caitlin Yankowskas is seriously entertaining the thought of representing Great Britain in Pyeongchang. She'd need to move to the U.K. and marry or have civil partnership with a British citizen.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/

On the other hand, skating with Gaman will keep her busy and at least let her compete at British Nationals this season. After Sochi and Worlds, there may be some splits that will give her opportunities she doesn't have now.