New Free Dance Requirements - ISU Comm. 1610

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HisWeirness, May 6, 2010.

1. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Moving the discussion of ISU Communication 1610, which deals with the requirements and levels for the 2010-11 Free Dance, to this thread.

Relevant posts from the ISU Proposals thread, Communication 1609 that I've copied below:

Please continue checking out this new communication and discussing your opinions.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
    oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I've been doing my best to ignore the rumors of this rule change (basically sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalalala!!". This just sucks. And WTH is up with v? Are audiences that stupid that they need captions on their skating programs? :wall:

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That made me think of Pechalat and Bourzat and an explanation I heard of their free dance. He is time and she is sleeping and in the dream she is fighting with time so she doesn't have to wake up. Or something.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the famous SOI parody where the two dancers (I forget who) danced in honor of the rain forest while Paul Wylie boogied on the sidelines. :lol:

5. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Okay, I guess this is the "Dom/Shabs" rule?

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Sad! I like that opening lift in Domshabs Free dance.

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

And V-M rule

Ice Dance must be kept separate from Pair Skating and moves such as throw jumps, or jumps where the takeoff is from the body of
    the Lifting Partner or jump towards the Lifting Partner as an entry to the lift or jump as an exit from Dance Spin, where the Lifted
    Partner does more than 1 rotation in the air, are illegal and the appropriate deduction will be applied by the Technical Panel.

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read that one, too, pani. Still don't get why that should have been called "illegal" when Tessa didn't do more than 1 rotation in the air.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

When we discuss this during the season, someone notice, that she did 1,5 rotation during that dismount

10. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

So is the axel-like throw that D/W did at the end of their POTO FD now illegal?

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Oh good, I can't wait for a free dance competition with most of the music provided by Up With People! :rolleyes:

12. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

It was Roca and Sur and I think they were skating to highlight the plight of the red ant in Brazil or some such thing :lol: It was pretty funny considering all the "angst" ice dancing going on at the time.

13. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:lol:That's exactly what I've been doing--complete denial. I won't accept any of this until I actually see a competition using the new rules, that is, if I even bother to keep watching.:rolleyes:

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I wonder how this is going to be evaluated?! How are the judges supposed to know if the audience understood the story or whether they understood it correctly? :rofl: Are they going to hand out questionnaires to the audience at the end of each free dance?

What does it matter anyway? The panel should judge the technical and presentation aspects of the dance, not the complexity of the theme. The definition of "clearly understandable" is not universal. Everybody understands art according to his/her cultural background, knowledge, personal life experience and feelings. So the complexity of the theme should not be a judging criterion.

:scream: I don't even want to imagine the perky "boy loves girl" free dances we will have to endure!

Is this rule intended to please the audience? :huh:

Hello! Is anybody in the ISU actually listening to the audience reaction? Most audiences LOVE dramatic! The most internationally beloved ice dance team in the last decades was Anissina/Peizerat, and they were known for their dramatic, intense and often angsty free dances. Take any dance team, their best-loved free dances are the ones excluded by this rule. Most audiences love soulful, dramatic, downright tragic! These dances are the ones that move the audience, capture their attention throughout and are remembered for years afterwards. Who remembers the happy-clappy ones? :wall:

Free the free dance! :mitchell:

Eva and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:lol:In SOI Canada, Brasseur and Eisler skated the 'Fire Ants' , both in red uni's..needless to say, Lloyd looked ridiculous. The whole bit also poked fun at nightmare Skating Moms and questionable Judges... Have we gotten too PC? I miss that stuff...

I've been a audience member for decades and ,mostly , what I remember is good skating. I agree the uplifting rule is kind of ridiculous ...but it probably won't last , or be enforced. ( e.g. What happened to the "The lady will not ride on the gentleman's foot rule? Was it officially reversed, or just allowed to fade into obscurity ?) ..But I'm very tired of years and years of OTT agonizing . As with anything , if an extreme becomes the norm , there's bound to be a severe reaction.

16. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

You see , that sounds like one program that would not be "clearly understandable", because the majority of the audience is blissfully ignorant of the existence of "skating moms". ;) So making fun of skating moms is an insider joke.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Probably a good route for many teams to take would be to say that their program is an abstract expression of the musical structure. And then use a secret storyline known only to themselves if that helps them relate to the music better.

18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Oh dear... wonder how long before skaters start carrying signs explaining what's happening. It's the silent-movie era all over again!

19. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

ITA, gkelly..we don't need a story..obviously ,if they're skating to music written for a story we know ( Carmen, Romeo & Juliet etc.etc.)...fine. If they have some private story , it's not in my need to know...but, If there's obviously some convoluted story, such as with B/A's FD this year..:confused:.. what with the cross, the wing like bits, and so on - coupled with all the drama , yet it didn't seem related to any story anyone ever heard of...I'd just rather see something else.

20. bookworm

bookworm New Member

"Uplifting"... *shudders*

21. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

I thought about Navarro & Bommentre actually. The past few years, they've done really upbeat, DWTS or SYTYCD type programs that did appeal to most audiences. Funny thing is, the judges didn't seem to like those programs at all. I'm so confused.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  22. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Looking at the Olympic FDs, none of the pairs who placed 2-5 had uplifting music. I fear another 1994-like season :(

23. SkateElectric

SkateElectric New Member

Me hates perky..:yikes::scream:

BlackPack and (deleted member) like this.
  24. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

I'm imagining there will be an narrative/introduction before each free dance explaining the music and the program we are about to see :lol:

Dear spectators we are about to go on a journey together... I wonder who we could get to narrate :violin:

25. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

This must be the ISU's way of making sure that figure skating is no longer an "art." Art is meant to be interpreted (as is music) and if you eliminate the skater's and spectator's choice to interpret the program and take away from it what you like, then figure skating is really being regulated to a point-whoring 4.5 minute race to the finish. Might as well call it track and field or acrobatics on skates.

26. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Why is the ISU trying to ruin Ice Dance?

:scream:

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I dare some team to put black makeup around their eyes, dress in rags, and skate to a dirge.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  28. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Yep--plight of the red ant. That was Plan A--it failed with the judges, so they went to Plan B, where she changed her name, wore tassels, they shook and shimmied their way to the gold medal. That whole story line was a hoot--now that is one SOI season I would gladly buy the DVD for!

How about James Earl Jones--at least we'd get a gorgeous voice!

29. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

LMAO!! I almost joined the 1998-1999 tour of Up With People. :lol: Was accepted but couldn't save the funds to do it.

As for the rule changes. I can understand the DomShab assisted lift rule but don't really understand the jump rule.

I am also :rolleyes: at the having to have a simplistic theme for the FD so the audience understands.

And uplifting? :wall: I like the angst in ice dance. :shuffle:

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The uplifting rule is the stupidest thing the ISU has ever come up with, which considering it's the ISU, it's quite a feat. Who wants to watch one perky lovey dovey crap free dance after another? Isn't this supposed to be a free dance?! Dramatic and angsty dances can really get the audience involved. Besides, I love the catharsis :shuffle: