new Doctor Who companion unveiled

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

She has a tough act to follow. I only very recently started watching, so it's really hard for me to imagine it without Amy and Rory, even though I know that constant changing of actors and characters is how the whole thing works!

3. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I hope this one has an interesting backstory. We're overdue for another non-Earthling.

4. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'm more worried about the way Amy & Rory might leave. I'm still not over Donna.

5. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

They are the Doctor's (sorta) in-laws, which doesn't bode too well for them. The more invested he is in people, the worse they seem to end up.

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

She's gorgeous. Best of luck to her...Amy is quite a beloved companion to follow.

I'm also not over Donna. :(

7. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I don't want Amy/Rory to go. :( They're what I watched season 5 and 6 for. Try as I might I just can't get attached to 11. I've come to view him as the comic relief.

Clearly, the rumor about Sophia Myles was a red herring.

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Especially since they keep describing Amy's (note specifically Amy) departure as "terribly tragic." I mean, really? More tragic than Rose getting trapped in an alternate dimension when we were told she would never be able to come back? More tragic than Donna getting all her growth and character development wiped away "for her own good?" If so, Moffat, what have you got left?!? (Not to mention it can't be "kill Rory." They've done THAT so many times it's practically a meme. "Rory's dead, must be Thursday..."

You know, in Classic Who, Companions didn't HAVE to leave by dying horribly or being mentally destroyed (or getting their own spinoff where they become borderline-sociopathic saviors of the world and almost all THEIR companions die horribly.) Most of them, in general, got to leave and go back to some sort of a life. (Well, except Adric, but who cares? No one likes Adric!) New Who, otoh, I think the only ones who really get to leave on their own terms are Martha and Mickey (he counts!), and that only seems to be because no one's really wanted to bring them back to torture some more. (We'll let the obvious unfortunate implications of that slide...)

9. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Poor Donna, her departure really is the most tragic. :( And Wilf has to see her that way after seeing how much better she had been. I love Wilf. Bernard Cribbins is such a wonderful actor.

Rose got a happy ending at the end of the day with Ten II. And them getting to be with Jackie/Pete/Tony in the alternate dimension.

Martha/Mickey are married and being all vigilante and stuff.

Sarah Jane has her son and K-9 and got the proper goodbye she wanted at the end of School Reunion (then later on obviously).

Not really sure about Jack as I never watched Torchwood.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  10. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Jack is a total mess. :lol: And if you work for him, there's about an 80% chance of dying violently.

11. danceronice

Hence my saying 'we're told.' Yeah, it got retconned and they made up Handy as a consolation prize (with the dubious order to 'fix him' after he committed genocide* just like she 'fixed' Nine), but her tenure as a proper companion ends with nearly being sucked into a vortex and then being told she's stuck in an alternate universe. And of course that still ends with Ten alone and free to be even more morose.

Hence my not including Martha's departure as tragic (she actually CHOSES to leave, more akin to Sarah Jane before SHE got retconned into 'pining for the Doctor'), but the unfortunate implications occur with her and Mickey, who spend about thirty seconds of actual screen time together, and they're married because...they're both black while their white exes (or in Martha's case white unrequited crush) are together (at last in cloned form in Ten's case). I'm sure that they would say they'd pair the spares even if Mickey or Martha were another race but...

Sarah Jane got a perfectly good departure the FIRST time around--she's one of the many many MANY Classic Who companions who got on with her life. Allegedly. The business about her pining away and never finding a man to equal the Doctor (remember, we're talking Third and Fourth Doctors here, not the bishies from New Who) is more or less out of nowhere in School Reunion.

Hoo boy. Let's just say the first two seasons started out with the Torchwood team consisting of Jack, Ianto, Owen, Tosh, and new recuit Gwen. By the time "Miracle Day" (which I haven't seen) rolls around, the only ones alive are Jack and Gwen and that's mostly because Jack can't die (at least up to a point) and Gwen's the 'main character' after Jack.

12. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I wasn't arguing with you danceronice. I was just listing off 10s companions and the lives they ended up living as opposed to Donna who got her memory and character growth wiped out. It's just what I was thinking.

I don't mind that Martha/Mickey ended up together. I don't see a problem with pairing up the two black characters considering New Who has been rather representative of interracial pairings. Martha/Mickey do have a few things they could've bonded over, like, traveling with The Doctor, feeling like second best to someone else (Rose and Ten respectively).

13. Michalle

Michalle New Member

But it's done in such a perfunctory way that it sort of does feel like it is literally ONLY because they are both black, rather than anything else.

14. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

RTD claimed it was kinda done as a joke, since their names are Smith and Jones (which was the title of an episode). Maybe that's true, but I'm imagining it was more like, "Yeah, they're Smith and Jones... and the black ones! It'll be funny!" Though I doubt anyone would ever get Rusty to admit anything like that.

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's a mercy. I think I could handle practically anything if they can at least be together.

(So now watch Moffatt put his thinking cap on and come up with something so dreadful I can't handle it even if they ARE together.)

16. danceronice

Exactly. They barely have any screen time together and even less dialogue together and the 'they're married' thing is entirely offscreen. I could buy them bonding over both knowing the Doctor, but it's so out of left field it really looks regrettably like "Hey, they're both single, they're both sloppy seconds, they're both black-perfect!"

17. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

IIRC Marth and Mickey were originally intented to be in Children of Earth but it took to long to get going and Freema Agyeman and Noel Clarke both ended up with other jobs. However I do agree with you. It does feel like they go put together because they are both black and sloopy seconds.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm still not over Nine. Gotta go back and watch his series (only one!! a tragedy!!) again.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have hopscotched all over this series to know who you are talking about but not any current updates. Whatever happened to River Song (the companion's daughter?)

20. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

She's in jail for the Doctor's murder. Although she didn't actually do anything to him, she's sacrificed herself in order for him to keep up the ruse that he's dead. He breaks her out (or picks her up whenever she breaks herself out) and they have off screen adventures together. No word on whether Alex Kingston will be back in the upcoming season.

21. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Don't bother. The first two seasons are really terrible and the Jack we know and love from Doctor Who is a completely different person in them. The third season, which consists of a 5 episode miniseries, is great sci-fi but bleak, bleak, bleak.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Alex Kingston is shooting more episodes, so River should be back. Her story is not finished. We still need to see her final date with the Doctor before she goes to die at the library :( And given that Amy and Rory are her parents, I imagine she'd be involved in some way with their departure as well.

The series has never disappointed me in terms of casting or companions, and I'm sure Moffatt has some good ideas in place for the next season. (Although I do hope we won't get so much timey-wimey paradoxical solutions to the plot this time around. I still think season 6 was a convoluted and overly complicated mess that didn't live up to the potential of the premiere.) I do admit to not being super excited by yet another white female companion. I wanted the Doctor to have a male companion so we could have a proper bromance :)

22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Hmm, gotta disagree with a lot of that. I do agree that Torchwood's Captain Jack is very different from NewWhoS1 Captain Jack ... but it would be rather unbelievable if his character hadn't changed. Given that, when S1 of Torchwood begins, he's already lived 100 years of a rather bleak existance on Earth, trapped in his immortality.

But aside from that, I found most of seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood to be quite excellent. Darker, grittier, and more "adult" than Doctor Who -- and intentionally so. I happen to love both series for different reasons, but they are actually aimed at very different audiences. And Torchwood stands on its own regardless of what's happening in Doctor Who.

What I would say though is don't bother with season 4 / Miracle Day. Ill-conceived, awkward transplant to Americ, and just all-around disappointing.

23. znachki

znachki Active Member

I guess I'm in the middle on part of this. Seasons 1 & 2 were OK, although I think it got better as it went on. My problem was I didn't think it was dark and adult enough then. The "adult" was almost more "oohh...look what we can show and say that we couldn't on Who", but in a nudge, nudge, wink, wink kind of way.

However, Season 3 was terrific. That's the type of story I'd hoped for when RTD said adult.

As for Season 4 - I was looking forward to it, but still haven't seen the whole thing. So that should tell you something.

and OK, I'm going to say this, but don't hurt me anyone. John Barrowman is not that great an actor. He's awfully purdy, and capable, but not great. He sings quite well, but there are better. What he is great at, is being an entertainer. Seriously. Listen to any studio recording of his singing, then listen to the live version, and tell me that that man does not come alive for an audience.

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm not going to hurt you. Barrowman was the least interesting thing about Torchwood so far as I was concerned.

25. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I didn't think Barrowman was that great an actor either. Then again I only saw him on Doctor Who.

He's handsome and has a presence. He makes you want to watch him. I have heard his singing and he's pretty decent.

26. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think they confused swearwords, blood, gore and 958 scenes of everyone having sex with everyone else regardless of gender with "adult". Trying to tittilate the audience with sex, dropping f-bombs right and left and blood spurting out of wounds, for me, aren't adult. It's juvenile. Children of Earth, on the other hand, with its emphasis on people screwing up and having to compromise their integrity and do horrible things when placed in impossible situations, is adult. The fact that Owen is revealed to be a date rapist in the first episode of S1 but that we're supposed to sympathize with him for the rest of the series (and my god I thought Burn Gorman was a terrible actor) didn't sit well with me. Ianto and Jack's romance was developed poorly - one day Ianto is devastated over the loss of his girlfriend, whom he clearly loved enough to harbor in Torchwood, the next day, he is sleeping with Jack and we're just supposed to take this at face value. I thought Torchwood S1 & S2 suffered from not having well-defined plot arcs. I really struggled to get through those two series.

Goign back to Doctor Who, NEW S7 TRAILER!!!
    http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2012/03/doctor_who_thing_of_the_day_se_5.html#axzz1qE9ZdoWt

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Looks like someone has taken a shine to him:

Captain Jack is going back in time again.

John Barrowman — best known as immortal time traveller Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and its spinoff Torchwood — has joined Gilded Lilys, ABC’s period drama pilot being exec-produced by Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes.
    To be penned by K.J. Steinberg (The Nine, Gossip Girl), Lilys is set in 1895 and promises to deliver an epic love story, a vicious rivalry and a scandalous secret unfolding against the backdrop of the opening of New York’s first luxury hotel. Barrowman will play a member of the show’s central family, the Lilys.

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

That character didn't get interesting until he "died".

29. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Owen was creepy from day one until the day his dead self got destroyed by nuclear something-or-other. :yikes:

30. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I only started appreciating Barrowman a little bit when I watched him in interviews and realised how different he manages to be while in character, as himself he frankly annoys me.

It's interesting how our ideas change through time, the first series of Doctor Who I watched was the 3rd, I loved David Tennant to pieces. Then I watched 4, and only then 1 and 2. This inversion made me appreciate Eccleston's work a lot more because I already liked the series and could understand better how he was trying to introduce the character to a new generation. Then I watched 5 and 6. Matt Smith is just perfect! And now I wonder why I liked Tennant in the first place... not that he is bad, but I can hear his scottish accent a lot more now and he is just so harsh, the first few episodes of season 2 were really painful, but he mellowed in 3 and 4 thankfully.

I can't wait to watch Matt Smith again!