New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

She's gorgeous, but I don't think Jammers was wrong about his assessment. If I didn't know that was Piper, I wouldn't think it was her.

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Gilles/Poirier are entered in the free dance at Octoberfest (entries). This takes place October 13-16 in Barrie, Ontario.

It seems a bit early in the partnership to compete, but they shouldn't face much pressure here, so it might be a good idea to try things out in competition. We'll see if they show up . . .

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think they just want to get feedback from the judges and the technical panel to see how they are progressing.

It's a small local club comp so I think it's a good idea.

4. sarakimm

sarakimm New Member

I totally agree!! I for one liked Vanessa, but I felt there was no spark between them. They looked more brother-and-sister than any of the actual brother and sister teams!:(

5. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Any word on the music they have chosen for their SD and FD?

6. The Observer

The Observer Active Member

Well they WERE like brother & sister. They had been skating together since they were kids and I think in the French interview I posted earlier this year that Paul even said Vanessa was like his sister.

It used to work well for them.

7. kppt

kppt New Member

I've been told that Piper tested her FD this week (and passed:)), and that the music is a mixture of Imagination from Willy Wonka, and Sweet Dreams by the Eurhythmics.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Their music choices sound awesome and original! I can't wait to see Paul and Piper's programs! :swoon::cheer2:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Oooooh, I love that music selection!

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Finally convinced Fabian to shave

Me likes the sound of this :)

Did Dean choreograph it?

11. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

12. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Thanks for updating us on their music!!

Do you know if the Pure Imagination song from Willy Wonka is the Gene Wilder version? I know there is a Glee version and one by Maroon 5 too. The Sweet Dreams is the Eurhythmics version? There's a version a slower and haunting version of Sweet Dreams I like from the Sucker Punch soundtrack. I am just imagining how the songs will flow, but I do like the choices.

13. kppt

kppt New Member

Yes, he did. The straight line lift is quite interesting. They will compete the free dance in Barrie 2 weeks from today :)

14. sadie

sadie New Member

More info can be found on icedanceelite.com look under news at the bottom of the page.

15. mineko

mineko New Member

Paul and Piper's names are removed from the Octoberfest roster. Does anyone know what's going on?

I was so looking forward to seeing their programs. :(

16. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

Are you sure? They are listed under the FD, 2nd in the 2nd flight. Paul/Islam in the SD, and Gilles/Poirier in the FD. If anything, the Barrie competition has gotten even more interesting with the addition of the S6 Canadian team and S5 US team. There are now 7 teams listed.

17. mineko

mineko New Member

Oops! Sorry, my mistake. I didn't know that skaters were allowed to enter into one category (SD) or the other (FD).

It turned out that I checked the SD category and erroneously concluded that P/P wouldn't be attending. Their names are on the FD category.

Thanks, NothernDancers. :)

18. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I'd like to know why Team Poirier/Team Lane are so into working with Dean. I mean, it didn't work out too well for Crone & Poirier last season, did it? Hopefully Dean won't go too intellectual or abstract with Gilles and Poirier. I also hope Paul will have better chemistry with Piper than he had with Vanessa.

19. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I find Dean's choreography a bit self-indulgent. It's interesting but I'm left with the feeling he should be skating to it with Jane. He doesn't seem to take into account the personalities of those he choreographs for so the work is soulless.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I understand Marbri's point butI think that C/P's Beatles FD was the best choreographed FD of last season.

Ask the judges why they dumped them so cruelly at Worlds...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  21. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I read the criticism somewhere last season that there were quite a lot of crossovers in C/P's Beatles program. I haven't checked the video myself.

22. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I completely agree that CD's choreography has always looked best on himself and Jane. The skaters have to make themselves fit his choreography instead of him creating choreography that fits the skater.hmmm..As soon as I say that , I think it's not exactly right... Another way of putting it is that I feel CD's inspiration comes from within, something that comes out of him listening to the music. He doesn't seem to be inspired by the particular skaters he's working with , they seem incidental to his creation

23. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

ITA - my favorite FD as well. And the reason why they didnt score higher with it at Worlds was not the program IMO but their performance of it. Vanessa especially was just not "on" in Moscow. At the time I thought she might have been injured, but then they split up, so I wonder if there was some tension between them and this was impacting their performance and causing mistakes, both SD and FD.

24. BethBarnaby

BethBarnaby New Member

Well this team just had their competitive debut and it was quite impressive. FD score of 91.09. If anyone has any video would you please post.

25. BethBarnaby

BethBarnaby New Member

Say all you want about Dean's choreography, when your Transition Component (in FD this component is factored at 1.75) is your highest mark I think the quality of the work is very clear.

Tak and (deleted member) like this.
  26. jeb

jeb New Member

27. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

28. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I can't wait to see their FD!!! Interesting look for her from hair to bloomers. Music I think is Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and Sweet Dreams from Eurhythmics. Curious about their FD concept too.

29. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Cast your eyes up-thread...;)

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I never thought the work Dean did for her brother and Summersett looked liked he and Jayne Torvill should be skating it.