New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Jul 28, 2011.

1. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I really do hope that Gilles/Poirier make the Olympic team and skate in Sochi. I enjoy their charisma and the fact that their skating is nothing like Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje. I really enjoy the variety in styles and programs that they bring to the table. If they can manage to do what they are capable of by being healthy, skating their best, earning that 3rd spot, and silencing their very vocal detractors in the process, what a great result!

2. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

^this exactly.

One would think Piper charged across the border, tore Paul away from his former partner , and threw her to the wolves.

Piper had a try out AFTER Paul had left Vanessa, and tried out with other potential partners.

Piper brings energy and athleticism - and with time, they may make a great team.

Or.....Paul may find another partner ..

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. smithie

smithie New Member

Technically, yes.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It's possible that one of them may have such intentions. :saint:

5. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Where's the popcorn? :watch:

This really can't be compared to Tanith's situation. Maybe it's more analogous to Aliona Savchenko getting citizenship before Torino. Savchenko and Szolkowy had placed sixth at Worlds the year before (their first year competing), but they also medaled in the fall at the GP Final and at Europeans, so they looked more competitive for the podium at Torino.

6. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

From Sun Valley Twitter feed this week:

@sunvalley: We're sorry to announce that due to an injury @PiperGilles & @PaulDPoirier will not be performing at #SVOnIce on August 24.

Not sure what this means for them as a team this season.

7. marn

marn New Member

I just watched a G/P video at her Twitter urging. Ms. Gilles is so looking forward to going to the Olympics and Mr. Poirier has a bit more humility in that regard.
    On another note, they did not skate their programs at Canada's HPC and won't be doing a competition until their GP in November. It seems that his injury has taken a long term toll.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

A Hitchcock/Psycho free dance? That could be totally voidy or a complete trainwreck! :watch:

10. Conga

Conga New Member

Yes, it will be verrrry interesting to see them both in this type of role. I am looking forward to seeing it!

11. shah

shah Shhh...

Ooh, it sounds very promising! Don't forget that Piper Gilles has some experience with Hitchcock-inspired programmes - with Zach Donhue she would skate to a compilation of tunes from Vertigo and North by Northwest :).

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It sounds like it's going to be a comedy, so I vote trainwreck. :lol:

Who has even tried comedy in ice dance besides R&K? Maybe it will actually be cool.

13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Well Lobacheva & Averbukh... but it was unintentional... Now seriously, I think Z/G and Z/S fit the comedy category, don't you?

If the choreography of G/P was being made by other choreographers I'd have more faith in it, as it is I'm afraid it will be cartoonish again...

14. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Anyone heard anything about Piper's citizenship issue? Last I read here it seemed unlikely she'd get it in time for the Olys.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

16. marn

marn New Member

A new article regarding Gilles and Poirier citizenship and competition plans in the torontoobserver.ca sports section.
    If they can't go to the Olympics because of citizenship they will go to Worlds or Four Continents

17. marn

marn New Member

G/P are on the SD start order list for a local Ontario competition called Octoberfest this weekend. His ankle must be recovering well now.
    Is anyone attending?

18. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

This is the Toronto Observer article marn referenced.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The article says their goal is to make the Worlds team if Gilles doesn't get her passport by 13 January. (I'm not sure what that deadline is: final entries to the Olympics are due to SOCHI from the NOC's on 27 January.) I don't remember if Skate Canada is on record about not sending their Olympic team to Taipei for 4C's -- they didn't send it to Korea in 2010 -- but it's realistic for Crone* Gilles/Poirier to be focused on 4C's and Worlds, if V/M don't skate after the Olympics.

*:eek:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  20. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Is Vanessa back ;)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:eek: My fingers go on auto-pilot when writing about Poirier. I'll fix it.

22. marn

marn New Member

quote: Gilles has until Jan.13 to acquire her passport. If she doesn't get it in time, the pair will have to cheer on their mates from home. "We have the World Championships in March after that, so that will be our main focus if we don't go to the Olympics, said Gilles. We'll have to continue to train. If not, we'll probably go to the 2014 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships or something like that"

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The "if not" shows that [making] Worlds is a goal/target ("focus"), not a given, although they are very likely to place no lower than 4th if he's recovered, given how they have been marked at Canadians, and there's a good chance V/M won't skate at Worlds, and #4 will go, no matter who they are.