New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Jul 28, 2011.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I know that this is already posted in the Crone & Poirier thread but I didn't want people to miss the news that Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier have announced their partnership. They will compete internationally next season but should skate at 2012 Canadians.

Read more here: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/586-piper-gilles-and-paul-poirier

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Is Piper already a Canadian citizen? Or how long does one need to be resident of Canada before one can become a citizen, normally?

3. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

This is great news - Paul is one of the top male ice dancers, and it would be a shame if he didn't find a partner. Glad to hear the US is going to release her.

Canadian citizenship generally takes a bit longer than 4 years. Technically the requirement is 3 years in Canada, but the time before permanent residency (which usually takes around 2 years) only counts for 50%. So the first 2 years would count as 1, and then another 2 is required after that. Time spent travelling outside of Canada also doesn't count towards the total so for people who travel outside the country, it takes a bit longer. That said, Kaitlyn Weaver managed to get it done in about 3 years, so obviously there are procedures for fast-tracking.

4. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Good news! I look forward to seeing them skate.

5. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Usually, you have to wait 3 years after obtaining your permanent residency in Canada. Immigration laws are complicated, so I don`t know if there is a way to speed up the process.
    Is Weaver a Canadian citizen?

6. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Well, Skate Canada certainly put a lot of political energy into backing Crone/Poirier nationally and internationally, I wonder if they'll be as excited about this team.

8. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

They're going to be skating in "a small show in early August". Hmm, did Thornhiil just get even more interesting?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is difficult to say. I think it depends how good they are. This is a tough time to try and break up an established partnership and start one anew in Canadian dance. There are 3 extremely strong dance teams in Canada already.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This is probably a reference to this post in the Paul/Islam thread in the Trash Can:

11. flowerpower

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Nice that they will work with Christopher Dean (although not surprising given the prior connections on both sides).

13. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Piper has beautiful lines and legs that never end. They should look very sexy together.

It's a shame that the Poirier-Samuelson dream team could not happen. They obviously considered it. The usfsa is releasing Piper in 1 year. Would it have been different with Emily? Would the usfsa just refuse to release her and make her wait forever?

14. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

I agree that it's the Aug. 4 show which is in the same arena as the Thornhill event will be the following week - 7755 Bayview Ave (north of Steeles). I think I'll go to that one.

I don't think that Samuelson would have suited Paul's style and line. I've always found her 'athletic' rather than elegant. JMHO

15. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Hooray for Piper! I think this is a good match. I hope they do well.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

They can process a regular "self-employed" permanent residency application at the top of the pile, since there aren't that many people who have either "relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada", and different parts of CIC process different types of applications. They don't have a back log of these applications, like they do for Skilled Worker (over 1M the last time I saw a figure).

They can always fast-track her citizenship application, which requires three years (1095 days) physical presence in a fourth-year period, and the last processing times I read were 18-24 months after a person qualifies.

To shorten the residency period or to count time out of the country would require an exception. Soprano Sondra Radvanovsky, who is married to a Canadian citizen, has her permanent home in Toronto, and certainly qualifies under the "Self-employed" clause, has spoken about not being able to become a citizen, because she travels too much to perform.

If Virtue/Moir continue through Sochi, Weaver/Poje continue to place strongly in international competition, and Paul/Islam keep improving at the pace they have been, there's no guarantee that a Gilles/Poirier team will be able to earn a place on the Canadian World or Olympic teams. If there's any exception made, it would likely be evaluated much closer to the Olympics.

17. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

So if USFS is releasing Piper in 1 yr, what kind of eligibility to compete will she have this current season? Do they have to sit out? Sometimes these rules get a bit confusing :confused:

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, they cannot compete internationally in 2011-12 but can compete at 2012 Canadians.

19. flowerpower

They can compete domestically in Canada. They will no doubt try to show very well at Nationals.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

What does "compete internationally" mean? The presence of international judges? Or does that mean ISU competitions on the minimum score qualifying list? For example, could they compete at Lake Placid or similar events? (I know it's too late for that now, but in general.)

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I assume this means any ISU-sanctioned competition that's listed on the ISU calendar for this season.

Yes. Lake Placid and non-qualifying (club) competitions have international judges sometimes but they are not considered to be "true" international competitions.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I would agree generally (although I personally am not holding my breath about V/M continuing all the way to Sochi). If we look at past precedent, an exception had to have been made for Kaitlyn Weaver, though, without any guarantees that they could earn a spot on the Olympic team (especially given that they did not). However, even if Piper can't get citizenship before Sochi, we're talking about a team of two 19 year-olds. If the partnership works out, they should still be young enough to look at 2018.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

When they granted the exception to Weaver in June 2009, it was after she had lived in Canada since 2006, won three national championship medals, competed internationally with Poje for three seasons, won a World Junior bronze, made it to the World Championships twice, and had two top-five results at 4C's.

I wouldn't bet on citizenship before they have an international track record. If the USFS releases Gilles after a year, Gilles/Poirier will have competed one year in international competition by 2013 a year before Sochi, the same amount of time before they granted an exception for Weaver.

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

This is OT but I wonder if we will continue to see the type of longevity we use to have in ice dance, or if athletes are going to peak at younger ages due to the increased demands of the sport. In the days of compulsories and "waiting your turn," it took years to perfect the CDs to be able to crack into the top ranks. In addition, high impact elements like lifts were far simpler and less physically demanding. Now with CDs relegated to the annals of history and COP encouraging much more complex and strenuous lifts, the average age of the podium seems to be rapidly declining. So while it wasn't uncommon to see medalists in their 30's even as recently as a few years ago, I'm not sure whether that trend will continue.

(So that's a really long-winded way of saying that maybe Gilles and Poirer may in fact be "too old" at 26 in 2018. :lol: )

25. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Good luck to this new team. :cheer: Now we just need to find Emily a partner!!!

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If she promises to run a farm can they process it even faster?

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Ah, remember the good old days, when Dick Button would comment that the great thing about ice dancing was you could compete for longer and even practice your moves on the kitchen floor. :D

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:lol:

29. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great news. Wishing them both the best this coming season. They really are a good looking couple.

30. Cal Girl

Cal Girl New Member

Wow, that is exciting. I think they are going to skate beautifully together!!