New bride dies during photo shoot.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Apparently she was taking part in something called "Trash the Dress" and she was posing in her wedding dress while standing in a river. It seems she was only a few inches or a foot deep in water; her dress became water logged and she slipped and fell into the river and was cried away. The BBC says she was trying to swim in the dress and was weighted down by it. Either way it is a terrible way to die and totally preventable.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/caution-urged-after-bride-s-photo-shoot-death-1.930467
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19384639

2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, she was such a beauty:( How unfortunate death!

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

hopefully this will put a damper (no pun intended) on a stupid trend

4. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw that story earlier. Didn't realize it was a "trash the dress" activity, but that makes more sense than an extra random photo shoot. In any case, how heartbreaking for her family.

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm cofused. If you went to the trouble of having a traditional wedding, why would you trash the dress? That seems like a post divorce activity.
    The next thing I don't understand is why is getting it wet is trashing it - it can still be cleaned. The last thing I don't understand is who in their right mind gets in running water in a bulky dress and expects to live?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I hope that the trash the dress trend will end soon.

My niece's trash the dress thought was she was married now and no longer needed the dress. And that any daughter she might have would want her own dress. Her photo shoot was on the beach (she lived in Florida at the time). I still don't understand the trashing of a $$$$ dress.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I especially don't understand spending even more $$$ to commemorate it.

It just seems like something to prolong Bride's Special Day months after the event - "hey look! I'm still the most important person! Because MY WEDDING and MY DRESS and MY PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY is what it's all about. And it'll take at least a few months before I can start bombarding you with pictures of MY PREGNANCY and MY BABY which prove that I am COMPLETELY CREATIVE AND UNIQUE even though I ripped this off my BFF's pinterest! ME! ME! ME!...oh what's that honey? yeah whatever, could you stand over there? you're blocking my light kthxbai...ME! ME! ME! :D :D :D"

mag, WindSpirit, millyskate and 5 others like this.
  8. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I think you just pegged it ;)

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I've always been a bit :yikes: about the trash-the-dress photoshoots. Some budget-minded brides would like to have your used dress! Don't trash it! I'm glad the previous owner of my dress didn't. I snagged my whole dress ensemble for less than $65. :cool:

Still, she didn't deserve to die over a stupid photoshoot. Seriously, the photographer didn't think it was dangerous? :scream: "Take photographs of me swimming in it?" Darwin Award, I'm afraid...

10. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

An Ophelia death. "But long it could not be till that her garments, heavy with their drink, pulled the poor wretch from her melodious lay to muddy death." Sad and pointless.

11. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of trashing a dress before but let me get this straight. These people buy dresses that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars and just because they figure they won't wear them again they ruin them?
    I guess that makes it official - people still have too much money, even in economic crisis and they have no idea what money's worth anymore. Geez.
    My mom still has her dress. It didn't cost a fortune and I certainly won't wear it. But I think there's something about it that makes her not be able to throw it out.

Regardless, this is tragic and shouldn't happen to anyone. So horrible for her new husband and family!

12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Yep. They totally destroy the dress taking the pictures. Cut them up, rip and tear them, roll around in the mud and ocean, spray paint them ... its crazy some of the pictures I've seen online. Just google it and you will find some photo shoots. My thought is ... hey spoiled princess, why don't you sell your dress to someone who would like a nice dress but could never afford to pay $6,000+ for a dress, or donate it to a charity, or put it in a consignment shop, or sell it to a dress outlet shop, or something other than completely destroy a dress you wore for about 6 hours. Total waste.

Amen to that! I watch that Say Yes to the Dress show and it amazes me the little spoiled brats who march in there and announce their dress budget is $5,000+. Insane. I know someone who paid for her whole damn wedding with $5,000 and it was very lovely. And her dress was more gorgeous than the $5,000+ monstrosities I see on Say Yes to the Dress.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  13. Libertango

Libertango New Member

I had never heard of "trash the dress" before Virtue & Moir did it.

ITA!! This made me think about something i read yesterday : the morning after photoshoot :scream:

14. floskate

floskate Vacant

What a tragedy :( but at the same time what a stupid, stupid thing to do! Trash the dress? :rolleyes: Genevieve summed it up perfectly. I really hope this so-called 'trend' goes away very quickly.

And those morning after shots? Seriously is nothing private anymore? How contrived is that? Who looks that good the morning after anything?? Narcissism at its absolute worst.

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

there was a local girl on tv on fri with her morning after photoshoot photos, including one of the two of them on her dining room table with her legs back by her ears. lol, i dont know what they cost but i was thinking about how unflattering they were and then the bride said something about how flattering she thought they were and she put them up in several places in the house.

16. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

And to think how rich I could be living off my photography if I only lowered my standards! :drama:

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

How very very sad.

I "pretended" to model when I was in college, and did a test shoot with a photographer once that involved me being in a (small, nothing like the one shown in these articles) river in a heavy (but not wedding dress weight) dress. A few times I WAS caught by the current, and got quite scrapped up by the rocks. However, the photographer had the foresight to have an assistant who stood just downstream, and was able to catch me if I struggled even slightly.

I actually really love trash the dress photos, many are done very very well. I didn't have any taken- I donated my dress to a charity instead. Since a friend worked there, she was able to tell me about the woman who got the dress, and I know it was the right decision. I chose not to hang onto it, I wasn't going to wear it again, as absolutely gorgeous as it was... I have no delusion that I may have a daughter who wants to wear it- styles change, and while my mother looked lovely in her dress, I would have never worn it. I do have a friend who has a family tradition of trying on her dress every year on their anniversary, but other than that- dresses seem to just get put into a box to be stored until their owner dies... So I see no problem with trash the dress if that is something you'd like to do. I'm glad I was able to give my dress to someone who couldn't have afforded this type of gown otherwise though.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What Genevieve said.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like a Darwin Award nominee to me...

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

There are some volunteers for NICUs who take donated wedding gowns and make burial clothing for infants who have died in the NICU. While it sounds macabre, it is really appreciated by the families. Most are in shock and are in deep grief states. The cost of burying an infant isn't nearly what it is for adults, but you would be surprised at the cost. Someone donating a beautiful gown for you to do this/take pictures or have a memory of someones generosity means a great deal to those parents. One wedding gown can make many premie gowns. Your dress is used for good and not for the landfill.

But genevieve is right - it is a sign of the ME, ME, ME mentality.

20. madm

madm Active Member

I can't relate to these people who would trash a dress. I was raised by parents who went through the Great Depression, and they taught me the importance of reusing items and not wasting anything. Unless you've endured hardship like they did, you don't fully appreciate how luck you are and how resourceful one can be in reusing items. Our generation is so wasteful. This thread makes me ashamed of what this bride and others have done to "trash" a beautiful wedding dress. They must not have any philanthropic inclinations. If I were the person who sewed the dress, I would be mortified.

21. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

The fabric is so beautiful, it can be reused so many ways. My girlfriend had her a baptism set made from her dress and all of her children wore it and she will hand it down to them if they want to use it for their kids.

Trashing the dress is a waste.

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I did not endure hardship, but nevertheless I too was raised with the mindset that one does not waste anything.

My fiance suggested that the "trash the dress" trend was started by wedding dress manufacturers. Kind of like how DeBeers started the pricey engagement ring trend. :saint:

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That is one of the tackiest things I have ever seen.

Not to mention that many brides and grooms are so bagged after the stress of the wedding/reception that all they do on that "special night" is fall into bed and sleep :lol:

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Actually, just like the "morning after" article notes about that idea, it was the brainchild of photographers who found a way to milk more money out of the wedding business. Dress manufacturers would have little to gain from it as the majority of women do not resell their wedding gowns.

25. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

True. But the flip side of this is that the average woman will willingly pay top $$$ for wedding pics of herself but never in a million years ever buy a photo from an art gallery.

26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Great post. So many brides these days are so narcissistic it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Eta: and don't forget the engagement photos! :rolleyes:

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

In defense of the engagement photo, ours were part of our package with our photographer. He likes to do a session with a couple before the wedding to get to know them a bit and have a better idea of how to shoot the wedding. We would not have done them were it not for that.

It is my understanding that a lot of wedding photographers do that now.

28. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm also very anti-baby bump photos. Look! Here's my husband and I holding our hands like a heart over my belly! :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are lots of women and couples who get these photos done and love them, but it's not for me, and I get tired of seeing them all over Facebook.

29. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

UGH! The VERY last thing I wanted was photographic proof of my total whaledom when I was pregnant. :eek:

30. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

They're still stupid. When friends and relatives want to show me their engagement photos, it makes me want to gag. I find them so utterly cheesy and tacky.