New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've only read the one mentioned in my post: Play It As It Lays--recommend highly.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Done with #3, and I agree, it did fall apart. Too many whiny new characters and unbelievable plot twists and character assassinations. I'm beyond annoyed with the book synopsis on the jacket - it gave away massive plot twists. I'll read 4, but will totally ignore the jacket until I'm done.

Had some down time at work, so I finished The Good Lord Bird before taking it back. I'm not sure how it made so many 'best of the year' lists. It was different, but not fabulous (at least to me).

Down to 5 library books including Hild (thanks to Spinner), The Husband's Secret (on hold forever for that one), and Shakespeare's Restless World which takes 20 objects from the Bard's time and explains their relevance in that time period.

3. KateSkates

KateSkates New Member

I had never heard of this book and had to look it up after you wrote this. Yeah, will pass on that one for the reading list. I just finished Julia Spencer Fleming's newest and am now debating what to spend my B&N gift card on. Sadly, mine is only for $10 so even at 2.99 it won't go far. If anyone is looking for free reads and likes love stories, you should check out Swoon Reads online. It's a publishing contest so there's some good and some bad but there is a skating novel on there right now.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I got The Fault in Our Stars, mostly for my daughter (she has my old Nook and we share an account), two books on music theory, and a whole bunch of cheap drivel to stave off depression :D.

Doctors Are Now Prescribing Books to Treat Depression: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/sma...bing-books-to-treat-depression/#ixzz2p0Uj18C2

Reading certainly helps me de-stress, but I gotta say that reading self-help books has the opposite effect. For one thing, most of them are full of crap.

5. KateSkates

KateSkates New Member

I enjoyd The Fault in Our Stars but admit I prefer books to end happily ever after.

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

After the holidays this is not what my credit card needs but I'm weak :drama: Got the And The Mountains Echoed, which has been on my list for ages, as well as a few others.

I keep saying I'm going to take book breaks between Game of Thrones books, but here I am, a fourth of the way through #3, which is the best so far. Robb, you idiot.

I loved the Fault in Our Stars and I'm normally not a big John Green fan. Cried like a baby multiple times and stayed up way too late to finish it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I intended to watch films but the library sale table had "revolutionary road" and I just was looking to see if it had a forward and next thing I knew I was 18 pages into it and I can tell already this is one of the best books I have ever read. The writing is superior. The writing is like buttah. The descriptive qualities are super superior in perception and depth. This book is a true treasure. Seek it out.

8. immoimeme

Hey pm me if you want a paperback copy. It's on my upcoming garage sale table. Edit--sorry thought you were looking for it. Well hey anyone who is let me know asap okay?:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  9. immoimeme

What's wrong w taylor caldwell? She wrote plenty of good books-enough to keep a person who likes her happy for months on end. I once tried to read all her books but didn't succeed. I found them all at the used books stores but I now see them from time to time on the library sale table.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Taylor Caldwell wrote some excellent novels; and some early "New-Age" drivel.
    The novels are very worthwhile.

11. immoimeme

Hey I liked "play it as it lays." Always have. Liked the screenplays she and her husband wrote. It was just that one boo kI didn't like. That one. Book. I didn't like. That . One. Book. ;-)

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I sent you a PM but I am sure others want to know which Didion you didn't like. :)

13. immoimeme

The book. That one. The one I. Wrote about. Here. Here? Yes, here. That book. Review. Surely it's infamous. Infamous? Yes. Surely. It is. Is? Is. Surely.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Sounds. Surely. Annoying. That one. To be avoided. Yes.

Is it the Blue Nights?

15. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I did send her a copy of Dear and Glorious Physician, which I happened to have around. I'll see what she ends up liking. I liked Taylor Caldwell. My (small) problem came with her telegraphing the action (like skaters and jumps). If it's a dark and stormy night, you know something bad is going to happen.

16. immoimeme

Eys. It shoukd. Been. Called. "Excessively Short and Frequently Over-Punctuated: My. Thoughts. And? Musings."

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: I will never read a Didion sentence the same way again.

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Having read "Doctor Sleep" I have decided to read "The Shining". The two goes together and the book does have some big differences from the movie and I am halfway through book 1. So far I am loving it! This is such a great book and I don't normally read horror novels.

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

For the political junkies, you have to get Double Down. Like, right now. Stop reading this and go get it. I'll wait right here....

Did you know that there were allegations that Rick Perry was gay? I had no idea. Most likely not true, but fascinating anyway. And that he had major back surgery TWO WEEKS before entering the race? And was on heavy painkillers and couldn't sleep? DAMN I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.

Oh, and that Romney and Huntsman hate each other. :watch:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Random semi-literary notes:

Currently reading the latest Lincoln Lawyer novel by Michael Connelly. The character literally practices out of the back seat of a car, and there have been several novels featuring this character. The first book was also made into a movie. So the amusing part in this latest book is when the main character looks out in front of the courthouse and sees a row of Lincolns, and muses that "ever since the movie" there have been copycats stealing his schtick. :lol: Can't ever recall a book character acknowledging that a movie had been made about him!

Also, speaking of the Romneys, being a cookbook lover and always interested in slices of Americana, naturally I snapped up Ann's The Romney Family Table. The recipes aren't much, but the text is fun, especially when she snarks about Mitt being on the road while she was raising 5 boys :) Trivia: Mitt's family has a place in southwestern Ontario where the whole family spent summers for many years, including their 22 (!) grandchildren, 16 of which are also boys.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wow, history repeats itself. Sort of.

Didion's book sounds like a novel I recently finished, by Charles Martin. I quote: "The pretense, the walls, the measured self -- all were coming down. Peeling away. Shedding. The best word I could think of was 'sobering.' She had been sobered. Or, stripped. Unloaded. Absent baggage. Traveling lightly." By which point I was begging: "Okay! I get it! Please can we move on now??"

22. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I've been on hold for it for MONTHS at the library. Waiting for the kindle price to drop so I can read it that way.

I finished Hoodby Steven Lawhead yesterday, Robin Hood in Wales during the time of William the Conqueror. Not bad, book 2 is up next.

Tonight I finished The Husband's Secret. I could see the big reveal coming from chapters away, so the secret wasn't too hard to figure out. Some lovely lines and paragraphs in it. Loved the last chapter where we got the 'what if this happened, instead of that'.

If we get a snow day tomorrow, I might start Hild.

23. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

:cheer2:

Check out Bloomsbury USA's $2.99 sale on a bunch of their ebooks. The Teleportation Accident (I freaking LOVED this one--strange, brain bending, and the best damned ending I've ever come across in a book!) and Swimming Home are both 2012 Man Booker Prize nominees. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is a BIG book, so ebook format would be perfect if you ever thought of conquering it. Enjoy!

24. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

And yes PL, you would LOVE Teleportation Accident. ;)

25. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of The Golem and The Jinni and really enjoying it. I love the descriptions of the Jewish and Syrian neighborhoods at the turn of the 20th century.

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hubby gave me some great graphic novels for Christmas.

The Property by Rutu Modan. A woman and her grandmother return to Poland (from Israel) many years after the war. Beautiful and
    Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Memoir of a woman who grew up in Iran in the wake of various government overthrows and the civil war with Iraq in the 1980s. Amazing story.
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt. A girl reflects on her life while she's reading through Jane Eyre, comparing their lives. Really lovely.

27. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The NPR review of it is....weird. So maybe. ;)

I was up until 2 am finishing Double Down. :coffee:

28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

That was one of my favourites from last year. Aside from the great characters, it made me want to do the Tenement Museum again when I'm in New York in the spring.

29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The Golem and the Jinni was in my top 5 of last year. Fabulous book. I devoured it.

30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I've started it as well. Am multi- booking, so did not get very far yet, but am enjoying it. Good to hear that it turns out to be very good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.