New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Pray elaborate:)

2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I have no idea about Andersen but I had a Grimm's fairy tale book whereas my mother made sure I didn't have the Strewwelpeter. She had nightmares from it as a kid. I got my hands on it when I was already able to read, so must have been around eight, likely older and was still freaked out by it. Mainly the story about the girl with the matches. I think the difference to Grimm and Andersen it, they're fairy tales, the Strewwelpeter might be tales, too, but they don't have the fairy tale character, the characters are made out to be "you and me". I think that book was actually written to teach kids stuff they're not supposed to do through a scare tactic. Not good, if you ask me.

3. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Relic scared the shit out of me as a kid (and kickstarted my fascination with natural history museums at the same time), and it's one of my all-time favourites. I didn't care for Reliquary though.
    I'm not sure why, but one monster in a relatively confined space is scarier than hundreds of monsters spread out all over the place. IMO.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

As to who MY literary husband is or who I want killed off? :lol: If the first, Aloysius Pendergast (Doug Preston and Linc Child authors), if the second, I'd like to see Constance go back into the walls of the Rivercrest house and she could take Corrie Swanson with her. If we have to feature ancillary characters, then I'd like one about Proctor (he's Pendergast's driver/bodyguard/general whatever is needed go to guy.

Pemdergast is the coolest FBI guy there is. He makes Mulder look like a normal guy.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  5. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Thank you for the warning. I was 1/3 of the way through the final book when I saw your post, and you inspired me to disengage even more than I had because of the writing. (Those short chapters at the beginning and the clunky shifts between Points of View had me annoyed already.) So yeah. I finished out of curiosity and am glad I was prepared for the suckage. It's such a shame because I really did enjoy book 1.

6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I liked Divergent, but parts of it really bugged me (too much 'Oh, I hope that hot guy likes me' crap going on). It was like Twilight without sparkly things. I have #2, but haven't read it yet, and when I saw the negative reviews start to pile up on Amazon for the 3rd, I cancelled my preorder.
    I recently reread the Hunger Games series. #3 wasn't bad when I revisited it, but I guess I was ready for all the twists this time.

I just finished The Lost Girls about a series of unsolved prostitute murders in Oak Beach, Long Island. No one comes off well in it. Riveting stuff.

Not sure what to start next. Maybe The Book Thief, maybe something lighter?

I liked Relic. And Reliquary. And Cabinet. And Still Life. I took a break from the books, but will be back to them eventually.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Finished the new bio of Bob Fosse. Egads, that man's sex life was INSANE. Every show he did, he was sleeping with half the women in the cast and sexually harassing the other half. And all while he was still married to Gwen Verdon.

I'm honestly surprised he didn't die of exhaustion before the drugs and cigarettes and bad heart got him.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to read this! Anymore thoughts?

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yes Yes Yes!!!

10. rfisher

PL, you really need to get White Fire, the newest Pendergast. We're back to the old Pendergast. No mopey, "I'm in such angst because my dear wife Helen was eaten by a lion. Oh, no, she wasn't. She was murdered by her brother. Oh, no, she's ALIVE. Oops, now she's dead." It's back to Mr. Cool. And, it's got a Sherlock Holmes and Oscar Wilde twist. Carrie Swanson is still a stupid twit. I don't know why he bothers. He doesn't usually tolerate stupid.

11. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but has anyone seen The Book Thief movie? I'd like to, but it looks a little too lighthearted compared to the book.

12. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Sweet. I will badger the school librarian to order it. Or break down and buy it myself, and then donate it. Whatever.

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

My favourite reviewer said they'd made it too child-friendly. I'll still see it, I'm sure, but I'm not going to rush out. (And it's currently at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes -- yikes!)

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I knew the movie could not compare. I will just rent it.

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

re book thief: THE MOVIE

spoilereded for those who have not read it but hopefully will soon

did they remove the narration by death? i can see how it may be difficult to include. but i also think it could make the film much more ordinary

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Lost Girls
    It's worth the read. They were 'throw away' victims. Police gave people trouble filing missing person reports since they were prostitutes and normally dropped off the grid. When one girl went missing after screaming down the road for help, people shut their doors, called 911 and it took police almost an hour to arrive. Then they didn't bother looking. Oak Beach NY comes off as a clubby backbiting group of snobs fighting for fiefdom control who ran their own police state. Family of the victims come off worse for the most part. It was hard to read, hard to put down, and ultimately made me sad. But well worth it.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Artemis@BC

No, they left it in. But my sense is it plays a much smaller role in the film. And also doesn't work nearly as well.

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Has anyone here read anything by Gene Wolfe, and, if so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

19. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm reading Ashley Gardner's Regency mystery series that began with "The Haover Square Affair," continued with "A Reginmental Murder" and goes through "The Glass House" and onward through several more volumes that I haven't been able to lay my hands on yet/ Capt. Lacey is an impoverished soldier of good birth living in London on half-pay after the Eurpean wars have come to end with Waterloo. With too much time on his hands and too much curiosity for his own good, he solves unsavory crimes that the arisotcracy would prefer to keep buried. The first case incolved the kidnapping and sale of young women into prostitution; the second had its roots in the coverup of a soldier's muder in Spain and the third concerns an infamous but exclusive house of ill repute and a turf war between two underworld leaders. Lacey isn't a particularly appealing MC; he reminds me of a military Sherlock Holms: blunt, impatient, quick-tempered and melancholic but by the third volume, I'm beginning to see why the ladies of his aquaintance are so attracted to him and willing to put up with all his negative traits/ I'm glad there are more of his adventures ahead and will enjoy tracking them down.

20. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

That's what I was afraid of. I know The Book Thief is a YA book and the protagonist is pretty young, but it isn't a story for children. I wish they hadn't taken that approach with the film. It kind of cheapens it.

21. rfisher

22. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I finished Insurgent last night. HATED the writing style - too choppy. I swear random scenes just appeared within a chapter that made no sense. First I thought it was the Kindle, then I realized it was the author.

Way too much "oh, will he love me if I do this horrible thing/oh he does, nice lips" for me. There's a decent storyline fighting to get out here. I'll finish the trilogy, but ugh. :wall:

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I read Divergent because I heard it was a good book. I didn't love it, and decided not to get Insurgent. But then I was bored and got Insurgent- it was even worse. What's really said, is I'll probably get the last book still. Why it isn't called Emergent is beyond my understanding.

Also recently read The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna. My husband got it for 99 cents on Kindle- since we both read it, I'd say it was worth it, but it was yet another YA novel that was a good story really wanting to come out. The ending was the worst thing about the book- it was abrupt and just over. Still it was readable in a day and an interesting idea.

24. Artemis@BC

ITA. It really felt as if she decided half-way through writing Divergent to make it a trilogy -- but then didn't have the ability to carry it off.

And I know I'm not the target market for the gooey lovey dovey stuff but it still made me want to vomit.

I'm picking up Allegiant from the library tomorrow, but my expectations are very, very low.

25. Nan

Nan Just me

I read "The Hanover Square Affair" some time ago and enjoyed it, but never followed through with any of the other books. I may have to add more to my Nook list. ;)

26. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I got about 20 pages into "My Favorite Fangs: The Story of the Von Trapp Family Vampires" by Alan Goldsher and then tossed it as too gory and stupid for my tastes. I think the author was going for a campy send-up of The Sound of Music mixed with Dawn of the Dead but it didn't work for me. It's very rare that I don't finish a book I've paid real money for but I've had this hanging around for so long I don't remember where I got it so I'm telling myself it was one of the church sale lots I've picked up for next to nothing. Besides I just treated myself to a huge lot from Amazon (thanks to a whole box of rolled coins I found in the back of a closet; found money = books!) so I don't need to waste time on this dreck.

I also just received Alison Weir's "The Princes in the Tower" which looks way more interesting.

27. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, after reading Weir, read Bertram Fields's book, "Royal Blood" ... which is a lawyer's critique of her case against Richard III. (For the "Richard is guilty" side, Pollard's "Richard III and the Princes in the Tower" is, IMO, much stronger than Weir)

28. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or start a new thread. I decided since it's about Sylvia Browne's books that I'd post here.

I'm a fan of Psychic Sylvia Browne and was reading one of her books, Phenomenon, right before I became ill in April of 2011. I never finished reading it and I'm doing that now.

I have several of her books, and went to her site to see some of her newer books. That's when I discovered that Sylvia died Wednesday, November 20th. I will definitely miss her. RIP, Sylvia. :(

http://www.sylviabrowne.com/

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Whether you were a "believer", or not, Sylvia was a fascinating person.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

thanks. i really enjoyed weir's book. i will look for fields'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.