New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thanks for a tip! It would be a good book to read in the long flights which are ahead in November and December.

2. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Serves me right, I was AWOL for a couple of months and missed an Atwood discussion! :lol: (my favourite author) At least I was busy reading MaddAddam at the time.

I'm currently reading Sergey Lukyanenko's The New Watch (I'm pretty sure the last one was supposed to be the *last* one, but I'm not necessarily complaining), it's not as good as the first two of the series, but still head and shoulders above most "western" UF. I'm also slogging through "The Joy of Closure" for work.

Oooh, that looks interesting! I'll have to remember that for next paycheck, as I just splurged on getting all of the Earthsea books in hardcover since they were finally released with matching covers I don't find offensive. :shuffle:

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Question to Swedes: I have recently read The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson--loved it. I know he has a new book out, I think the English title is The Illiterate Who Could Count. As I have not yet seen the English translation available, I was wondering if any of you have read it and what you thought. What do the reviews say?

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I guess doorstop novels are in. I hear The Goldfinch is around the same length.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Dear Elizabeth George. Ok, we get it. You went to Tuscany to research the book, and you picked up some Italian. Congratulations. But please stop proving it by including it all in your book. It doesn't make you look clever, it just makes you look like you're trying too hard. Show us your knowledge of the area with details of the life, geography, and architecture, fine. But unless you're going to write the whole novel in Italian, keep it to English. Thank you.

8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I guess I understand what you mean, Artemis@BC. I still give a try for that book. AFAIK, George is an American, who has mostly written stories happening in GB. I am not a native speaker of any version of the English language, so I really can´t tell how good her British English is. I think Donna Leon is about ok with her use of Italian phares in her books. If George overdoes that, oh my! But I have to check (and I love Tuscanny!).

9. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I have "the quest" but after 50 some pages I think i'm done with the journey. :p

10. puglover

puglover Active Member

Is the "The Quest" the new Nelson Demille book? I generally like him but had heard his latest one was just a rewrite sexed up version of a book he wrote years ago.

11. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

About to start "The Art Forger," by B.A. Shapiro. I just got home from a big book club event that hosted five or six authors from CT/MA and I was most intrigued by this one. Looking forward to reading it, then it's on to "The Book Thief."

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Just for kicks, I read "Divergent" over the weekend, more to see what the young'uns are raving about than anything. While I don't feel it was a total waste of my time, I finished it less than thrilled with the writing (Is there some rule that says YA MUST be written in First-person Present tense?) I found The characters kind of cardboardy and the angsty romance very shallow but the world-building seemed consistent and the plot certainly moved along briskly from one threatening situation to next. I suppose I'll pick up the second one somewhere. At least this trend is a tad more interesting to me than past trends I've run across.

That done, I jumped back to Susan Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew medieval mystery "The Wicked Deed." Matt had angst-aplenty but at least living in post-plague England amid a bunch of conviving scholars and corrupt politicos gives him plenty of reason for it. :)

13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

About halfway through The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic. I like it, but it does drag along. Fairies and wizards battling each other. Our heroine is an English major enchanted by one, and rescued by the other.

Zaphyre - I tried to like Divergent, but it got a bit too Sweet Valley High meets Hunger Games for me. It was like fast food, devoured quickly, but then a bit queasy feeling afterwards. I have #2, but haven't read it yet. The reviews are brutal for the final book.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

15. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

So, I read The Cuckoo's Calling for my book club. I probably wouldn't have chosen to read it on my own and that would have been a good decision because I wasn't crazy about it. At first, I thought that maybe it was the genre, I'm not a huge mystery reader. But then I realized I like Michael Connelly and this was just much weaker. I found the characterizations to be thin and corny. It was hard to relate to anyone, I couldn't decide whether the victim was likeable or not (I think the answer was supposed to be yes she was likeable but flawed, but I just never got a handle on her). And as for the mystery itself...
    I had wondered from the beginning if the (adoptive) brother was the killer but it just made no sense as to why he would go out of his way to hire a private detective for a case that had been closed and go out of his way to be helpful to the detective. The reason that was given at the end about trying to set up the biological brother so that the biological brother couldn't inherit in any case seemed very weak. Especially since it's not like adoptive-brother helped give any evidence that would push in the direction of bio-brother.

I don't see myself reading any more of the future Robert Galbraith books to be published. Coincidentally, next up on my list to read are the Harry Potter books so I am hoping that this isn't a bad sign for how much I will like those ones.

16. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I finally finished Peking Picnic, which I enjoyed, despite the often disparaging descriptions of the the Chinese. I have another of Ann Bridge's "Chinese" novels, but I doubt that I'll read it. Tonight I started Transit. A little slow to start, but I think I will like this one much better.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I didn't like Cuckoo either but I have never heard of anyone starting to read JKR with that and not HP! :eek: HP prose isn't Nobel Prize in literature material but JKR's imagination is :swoon:. Great sense of humor too. The first 2 books are more kiddy but get more and more adult with each book after that. Enjoy!

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Heh, well I had been meaning to read Harry Potter for a while and it was next up on my list but then this one came up for book club. HP is pretty good so far, I already like it better than Cuckoo's Calling after just a few chapters.

The person who convinced me to read HP made the same comment that the books grow more adult as the character ages...I thought that sounded like the Little House books, which I totally adore, so I figured that even though the subject matter is completely different, it's worth giving HP a chance.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

If you like it already, I am guessing you will love it later on. :)

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA with Erin's spoiler assessment. I read the Cuckoo's Calling for my book club, too, and thought it was waste of my time. (It was better than the Casual Vacancy, though, which I couldn't even finish.) However, I really liked the Harry Potter books. They are so much different and so much more creative with stronger character development.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wish I could read Harry Potter again for the first time.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

sigh, yes. i wish i could go to one more midnight book release.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was looking back on those fondly today myself.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Me too. But at the time of the 1st reading my work schedule was lot more flexible and I didn't yet have Mini Ice so I could really indulge in my addiction.

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was 11 when I read the first (three?) books, if I remember correctly, which I might not because I was 11. I think the first four were out at the time but then I also think that I remember waiting for book 4. But I also may have been 10 when I read the first three, now that I think about it.

Either way, the last one came out directly after I graduated high school, and the last film came out shortly before I graduated college, so in a huge number of ways Harry Potter represents my childhood. And I'm glad I got to have that experience at those ages. I could be wrong, but I think growing up with something like that in that way makes it particularly special. When I started I was the same age as the characters and when it ended I was the same age as the characters. That was pretty cool.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

^^^That's awesome, michiruwater!

28. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

29. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

The Hyperbole and a Half book came in the mail today! I can't wait to crack it open :)

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.