New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Uh oh, I spet the day playing an early-morning gig at the library, going to Fringe plays, watching roller derby, and sampling some new craft beer offerings. Didn't manage to fit a bookstore visit in there. If only I'd known!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

That makes sense. If you buy a book it could be a novel, or a biography, or a cookbook. And a bookeen that was fictional would contain a novella or novelette.

Thanks.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

bookeen always reminds me of god's bodkin for some reason

4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

a friend who's majorylyI have Anita Shreve's "Light on Snow" going in the car. Have I mentioned before how much I hate First-person Present tense writing? I kind of like the plot but the narration is irksome and, since the narrator has made the point several times that she is looking back on the events of her past, telling the story in present tense is just an annoying literary device.

In paper at home, I have "Intrigue at Coronado" and "Storm Over Coronado" by Donna Jeremiah and Peggy Leslie on deck. I bought the two books while on vacation in San Diego because I try to read something related to the place I'm visiting but I'm kind of wishing I had done a little more investigating before plunking down my $$$. I thought that the authors names sounded pseudonymish so I googled them and found out that they're both heavily involved in a "conservative evangelical" Christian minstry organization run by Donna's husband, who sounds like a major iece of work in all his biographies online. The books don't blurb as "Christian" and the mystery plots sound interesting enough but I'm worried about being preached at and I definitley don't like the idea of my $$$ going to finance, however indirectly, somebody's megachurch. Oh, well, I guess if I really hate them, I can send them along to a friend who's into Christian fiction. The reviews on Amazon don't mention a Christian theme, though, so I'm hopefuly of getting decent reads as soon as I finish up Tracy Grant's "Beneath a Silent Moon" tonight.

5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I've hit the incessant 50/50 references and they are :mad:, especially since they are inaccurate, and even more so because we all know Reacher is going to repeatedly beat the odds because otherwise, there wouldn't be a whole lot of action.

And it seems to me there are a bunch of places where he is upping the word count, even if I don't count his usual first-line-of-Wikipedia-entry info-bytes (the Pentagon has 17 miles of hallways and nearly 30,000 personnel). The most :eyeroll: inducing so far was when Susan took her jacket off in the car. First she eased the jacket back, then she tugged on one sleeve, then she shifted, then she removed her left arm and then she removed her right arm. In other words, she took the jacket off. Four sentences it took for her to take off the jacket! And all these very short chapters with cliffhanger endings are beginning to remind me of Dan Brown--not as bad, but definitely closer than he used to be.

I'm up to where they just had breakfast in the diner that didn't serve omelettes and then checked into the motel. Reacher has just had an epiphany. I dunno, rfisher; you say it gets worse from here?

6. Nan

Nan Just me

I think this may have been discussed in the past, but I've just been persuaded to read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and am about a third of the way through. Witches and Vampires are not usually my cup of tea, but I like this one so far. Will I continue to enjoy it, or is disappointment on the horizon?

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

well, worse if relevant. :lol: He's going to discuss being pedantic later on. Ignoring all the little LC writer issues, this is the first book where you care about the female character (or at least I did). They are usually written as a minor diversion for Reacher, but we've waited 4 books to actually meet Susan Turner. Reacher actually begins to think about his life and what he's missed (kids being one of them). This isn't just the aimless wandering that is typical of the books. He has a purpose. I found the ending very sad this time which is also different than the other books. I really don't know what LC will do going forward. The underlying theme in the last 4 books was Reacher getting to DC with some diversions along the way. I don't know what will be the point of the next book. If it's back to aimless wandering, I'm through.

8. zaphyre14

I know I've certainly read a lot worse.
    Nan, I liked "Discovery" and its sequel and am looking forward to the next volume. I thought it was an interesting take on the genre and wasn't disappointed at all.

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Nan

Nan Just me

Thanks, rfisher and zaphyre, for the recommendation.

I've heard this first book of the trilogy has been picked-up by Warner Brothers. Any idea who you would like to see play the male lead?

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Thank you. I bought this when it first came out but haven't read it yet. I read some reviews on Goodreads and got scared. Maybe I won't be so scared to read it now. :)

11. rfisher

JKR is writing an 8th HP. She's supposed to announce the publication date and details later this week. :cheer2: :cheer2:

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Please tell me it is not about Albus Severus. I want it to be about the marauders so bad I could cry. Or how Snape magically came back from the dead and got together with Hermione and the whole epilogue was a big fat lie.

Oh wait. It's a lie, rfisher.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

14. rfisher

Lalalalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you. She's going to do it. She has to do it. Her other books suck. She'll be poor and have to move out of her big house in Scotland and live in a coffee shop with all 3 kids.

15. zaphyre14

ITA. Even joke Harry Potter would be better than her last two efforts.

16. Prancer

Okay, I finished it. Bitch away :D.

17. rfisher

I hate that Reacher was left with nothing. No kid. No female who understood him. I don't know what LC has in mind for the future, but it's sadder and more empty than it was before he introduced Susan Turner all those books ago. Reacher has had a purpose, however tenuous, and now it's gone. Unless, Child has something in mind. I mean, he wrote the damn books. If he puts Reacher back on the road with endless wandering, I'm done. Child has done all that can be done with that theme and now it just seems pointless. None of the other female characters were written in a manner that it was a big deal when Reacher went back on the road. This sort of was, especially, since she more or less took the initative in telling him she was staying. She pulled a Reacher on Reacher. I did laugh out loud at several points and felt Reacher was much more human than robot in this book than in a long time.

18. Prancer

I expect that he will. All that talk about envying the wolf pretty much defines Reacher. And I can't see too many people liking it if Reacher were to become domesticated; what people like about him is that he is unfettered, neither tied down by family nor bogged down by a normal conscience.

I didn't like this one much; a lot of things annoyed me, not least of which was
    not even considering opium? We are talking about Afghanistan; even I had that figured out. And it annoys me how conveniently everything works out, one thing right after another, while Reacher drones on and on about the odds. If the odds played any actual role at all, things would not go so well for him. Instead, everyone else always falls in with his plans and does exactly what he wants them to do. Meh.

19. rfisher

Yeah, I figureed that spoiler out early as well, albeit, the end was not quite what I'd figured.

20. Artemis@BC

Just spotted that Marisha Pessl (author of Night Film) will be at the Vancouver Writers Fest in October. She's on a panel about thrillers, appropriately called "Up All Night," with Scott Turow and Lisa Moore.

21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

eta-that was strange - I sure I didn't click on the Book thread.

Ummm- I'm starting Judas Unchained for the third time. I dunno- I read Pandora's Star and could hardly put it down. I think Judas Unchained is hard to read because I'm starting it in the midst of a very complex story.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  22. Artemis@BC

However this one appears to be true: a film version of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, just announced today.

Not as good as a new HP book ... but it should still be fun!

23. Prancer

24. Nan

Nan Just me

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Oh goodness yes! ITA!

Does anyone have any good fiction titles recs? I'm currently reading a lot of non-fiction because I can't find any fiction that keeps me engaged. I want something that is feel good (I can't do any depressing reads right now) but not predictable. Also, something that is not too easy but not too hard either would be great. Lastly, I want to stay away from smutty books. I'm not really in the mood for that now either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Except I really think that Richard Armitage should be seen and heard :D

Can you give books that you've read and liked that fit this request, just to give an idea of what you're likely to enjoy? I mainly read romance so chances are I can't help you in the non-predictable category, but I can probably tick off the other too pretty easily (focusing on books with less/mildersexual content).

Kobo has a fifty percent off code again (Sept50) which I have used so far to buy a romantic suspense novel and John Scalzi's Redshirts (now a Hugo winner). I'm considering what else to buy.

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm re-reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert these days. Nothing I've picked up recently has held my interest. Hoping The Shining Girls breaks the trend, it took a while to get from the library. Also picked up To the End of June, a book about kids aging out of the foster care system.

28. Prancer

I had this one on request at the library and when it came in, I thought I would read it, since it was there.

I thought the writing was pretty good, but the story itself--meh. Muchly meh. Totally predictable, although you can tell as you are reading that the author thinks you are going to be shocked, shocked! at this turn of events. Um, no.

I thought the author was namedropping, too (Rich! These people are rich! Look at this address!) but since I have no idea where any of those places are, the effect was rather lost on me :p.

29. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Non-predictable may be hard to fit with other criteria. I like books by authors like Sarah Addison Allen and Catherine McKenzie. I like romance too but I can't seem to come by any that aren't on the sexy side (especially since I like contemporary romance). Not that I mind racier stuff from time to time. I just need a break from it now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I still think she will eventually write something else HP related. Whether it will focus on the adults or the characters we only learned a little about, who knows. I wouldn't mind a prequel series. She probably has tons and tons of ideas. I think a prequel would go over well in 5-10 years as all the fans will be well into adulthood and more interested in what happened before Harry Potter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.