New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Likewise, I didn't mean to implicate amazon. They are usually good, including their sellers. It was a music exchange website. Whew, Jeff Bezos can sleep better now. :D
  2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Funny, I just finished Sharp Objects, also by Gillian Flynn. That was one book where I felt I needed brain bleach after reading it.

I'm now reading The Broken Seal by Ladislas Farago. It details the American and Japanese code-breaking operations between 1921 and 1941, and was one of the books used as a basis for the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!. My father, who was involved with cryptographics during his Army service 50 years ago (this, and WWII are two pet subjects of his), recommended I read it. I thought it would be very dry going, but I'm finding it to be very interesting reading.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm halfway through Lee Child's new Reacher novel and so far it's one of the best he's written in a very long time. I've actually laughed outloud several times and not because Child is being ridiculous. I already feel sorry for Reacher as you know it's not going to end well with Maj. Turner who he's been trying to get to DC to see for 3 books in a row. She's a tiny female Reacher in so many ways. He's in lurve and, well if you read the Reacher books, we all know how that's going to end. :( And, he's back in the Army. I won't spoil how that came about. And, he may or may not have a kid! Imaging a 14 yo female Reacher kidlet! But, that may or may not be true, although, he sort of wants it to be. Another clue this is going to make me cry at the end. I've never felt sorry for him before because he's always done what he wants (or envys the howling wolf---a referece in the book). I'll finish it tonight.
  4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I'm on to your game, rfisher. You're just saying all this to torment me.
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I actually read a fairly new book last week. A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. It was an Amazon Daily Deal for Kindle. I wish I had not wasted that $2.99.

It attempts to be a historical fiction but is bogged down with a preposterous plot, badly done jumping between two periods of the characters' lives, and a whole cast of basically unlikable characters. The main character comes off as dumber than dumb--not being able to put perfectly simple things together or understand the dynamics of her own life and family. The character who turns out to be the key to everyone's problems is a background figure and Williams even forgets to tell us her fate at the end, you have to assume what happened to her. And the romantic hero is terribly bland and it is hard to figure out why, presumably, two characters want him so badly. And, finally, I would add, that if you are going to write about baseball, even tangentially, you should do at least five minutes of research first. At least then, you might find out that no player in 1938 would be talking about the upcoming playoffs as he would be anticipating them 31 years early.

Now I am in the middle of Inside Scientology by Janet Reiman via the library. Moved from bad fiction to an expose of religion based on bad fiction. It is fairly engaging and quite appalling.
  6. rfisher

:D :EVILLE: You know you want to know about miniReacher and femaleReacher. She even has a collapsible toothbrush. :lol:
  7. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

It took me 2 weeks to read 52 pages of "Inferno" and 1 second to say "**** this ****" So , like, I don't recommend it.
  8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I just finished Peeps, which is about *cough* sort of zombies, sort of vampires, but not really.

I liked it. Cats are also featured prominently. :)
  9. Prancer

That reminds me--I read a piece today about how none of us should lecture for more than five minutes because more lecture than that isn't engaging for those who don't like lecture; the students who are willing to sit through a long lecture will be fine no matter what we do.

As soon as I read it, I thought of you :2faced:. If I can find the link, I will send it to you by PM, because I think you MUST read it :saint:.
  10. PrincessLeppard

What am I supposed to do with freshmen for the other 45 minutes? :scream:
  11. rfisher

Show them your Snoopy. :saint:
  12. Prancer

I PMd you, too. Enjoy :2faced:
  13. PrincessLeppard

they already saw it. :shuffle:

:scream:

Just found out Peeps has a sequel! More vampire (sort of)/zombies (sort of) and cats! :cheer2:
  14. Prancer

Kindle singles and the future of publishing: http://ht.ly/oBrZD

I post this because some here have talked about how certain books are too long and need editing, and the article shed some light on why that might be so.

Also, there is now a NetFlix for e-readers named Oyster: http://mashable.com/2013/09/05/oyster-launch/

I might actually go for it if more publishers were involved.
  15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This is a couple of years old now but I only just now found it. Very cute.

It's a book.
  16. Artemis@BC

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

(Though personally I find "bookeen" awkward and a bit weird looking. I'd be more in favour of "bookette.")
  17. rfisher

Prancer, I neeeeeeeed you to read the new Reacher so I can bitch about how much I hate Lee Childs at the moment. :revenge:

And, PL, there's a new Pendergast coming and you'd better not get another advanced copy. :revenge:
  18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Oh em gee. Just finished this one. At first, I didn't like it as much as I expected - the characters seemed too contrived (Nora) or too perfect (Ashley) but the last third of the book was incredible and mind blowing and I didn't see things coming at all. It went in a completely different direction than I expected. Really, really enjoyed it.
  19. Prancer

I thought the same thing.

Dear me, Lee Child has let you down, has he? Well, I will let you know when I get the book from the library. It shouldn't be too long; there are only four people ahead of me and the library has 26 copies.
  20. rfisher

He made Reacher human rather than the robot machine of the last 5 or so books then he crushed us. I hate him. :p
  21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm confused. The article mentions how authors have always enjoyed writing the novella and novelette length stories. Why do we need new words for this length of writing, when perfectly good ones have been around for a long time.

The bestseller Wool, by Hugh Howey, began as a stand alone novella. I'm quite glad it was not called a bookeen or bookette- that sounds like something I'd buy for a toddler
  22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in one sitting last night (and stayed up til 3 AM). And of course, cried like a million times.
  23. Prancer

I just downloaded it. I won't have time to read it today, but it won't take me long. Reacher never does.
  24. PrincessLeppard

I will just ask my good friend Spinner for one for my birthday. :saint:
  25. rfisher

LC clearly wrote this one for his female readers (which are the majority). He should pay more attention to us, but he's an idiot.

You'll get annoyed with the 50-50 references, but I figure that was to up the word and page count for the publisher. :lol: You can skip those passages.

Listen Leppard, you better not be waving around a copy of that book. :mad: Unless they kill off Constance in which case let me know and I'll forgive Spinner. I won't forgive you, but I'll forgive him.
  26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I did end up deciding to read Thirteen Reasons Why for book club and reacted a little bit like Prancer and genevieve in that I didn't think it was great, but it wasn't awful either and it wasn't too taxing to read. I hope this doesn't sound too insensitive, I did find myself thinking during the first several chapters that the reasons behind the suicide seemed rather petty, but the last few were much more powerful and made it make sense more. I think the book might have been better if it had only been told from Hannah's perspective, as the interjections from Clay didn't add much, if anything, to the story and mostly seemed to be a distraction. Sometimes I would lose track of whether I was reading Clay's thoughts or Hannah's speaking, even with the italics for her words to help me out. I do see how this is a good book for the YA genre, however, and could be good for starting conversations with teens on the topic.
  28. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I read it in one sitting too. I'm looking forward to crying at the movie.
  29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The characters in The Vicar's Daughter are being just a little too civilized, even when they're behaving badly, so I'm alternatig it with A Swell-Looking Babe. You can always count on Jim Thompson for something gritty. I'm not sure where he's going with this one, but it's a fairly safe bet that it won't end well for anyone.
  30. Artemis@BC

I think it's more about defining the physical (or electronic equivalent of physical) parameters of the work. So "book" is to "novel" as "bookeen/bookette" is to "novella" (or short story). The premise being that anything shorter or longer than the standard understanding of "book" has a hard time finding a place in the publishing world.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.