New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I think she writes wonderful short stories.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh I didn't know there is a Nobel thread. :shuffle: But thanks. I will check Alice Munro out.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Those are both on my list to be read but I'm scared I will :yikes: and :scream: and :mitchell: all the way through
  4. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I've also read about 20 of the sci fi books. I think the list is a bit of a misnomer, though. Many of the listings are multiple volumes. Isn't the Robert Jordan series about 16 volumes? More like 150 books.
    rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

In the first book, she covers how she gradually went from being one of the biggest supporters of voucher programs and mandatory testing to being completely opposed to both, and in the second book, she addresses the specific arguments against her first book by her critics--Arne Duncan, Bill Gates, Michelle Rhee, et al. Her writing is measured and careful; she's very good at making solid, evidence-based arguments, so if you don't reading about data and studies, you won't like the books.

If you're looking for ammunition, though...........
  6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

She's been on my "to read' list forever, but I still have not. I heard/ read absolutely gushing reviews for many years; and I outsourced her to my husband ( he is the literary fiction type, more so than I am; I mix things up a bit). He was positive but not excited. Have to try for myself someday, we don't always agree.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I still remember reading Alice Monro's short story in Grade 12 English class, and prior to that point had found literary analysis irritating and pointless, but the combination of her writing and a brilliant teacher made it probably the most enjoyable teaching I had in high school. It was like a light bulb suddenly went off in my head, and I could see the layers under the words. I've always intended to take a university level course in literature, or a least join a book group, but rural life has put that out of reach for now. But I have the book thread...:)

eta- Also, if you are going to read great Canadian women authors (Atwood and Monro) you should also add Carol Shields and Margaret Laurence to your "should read" list.
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Well, I don't really care where they come from as long as I like the writing.
    Of course, winning the Nobel gets my attention.
  9. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

I got a Kindle recently, so have been reading more. Pre Internet days I used to read around 2/3 a week. Anyway, nothing really of note but I just finished the new Bridget Jones book and while I wasn't keen on Mark Darcy being killed off I ended up really enjoying it. :)
  10. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized there was a new book...or that Mark was killed off. Hmm, still might end up reading it sometime if I really need some light material.

For now, I'm reading the annotated Northanger Abbey, the latest that David Shepard has done (with only Mansfield Park yet to come). I forgot how much I don't care for the Gothic parody in the second half of the book. As naive as Catherine is earlier in the book, I don't buy that she would really be so stupid as to think that General Tilney murdered his wife. The little pokes at sentimental novels and remarks on how Catherine isn't your typical heroine earlier in the novel are much more entertaining. I found I was racing through the first 300 pages in Bath but now that I'm at the section at Northanger, I've slowed right down to a chapter a day.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh yeah, my pre-ordered annotated Northanger Abbey arrived the other day. But first I will finish The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared which I recommend highly--very funny and well-written.

As to Catherine believing in the murder--I totally buy it. Austen sets her up for that very well IMO, very consistent with her character.
  12. PrincessLeppard

I'm reading book written in third person omniscient, present tense.

I may not make it all the way through.
  13. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

"Doctor Sleep" was an okay conclusion to "the shining." Sort of like how toy story 3 was satisfactory to wrap up that series. Now I have the last novel James M Cain wrote "the cocktail waitress" but I haven't started it yet as I have to go thru my cookbooks first so I can take the ones I don't use in for the library sale. Mmmmm...food! And a margarita up sounds gd too lol. This is going to be hard lol!!!!
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

An article on kingslayer jellyfish lead me to the book See Australia And Die.

I know the book is describing rare and unlikely events but not being a lover of the great outdoors anyway (see my siggy), my desire to visit Australia has somewhat cooled.

I was particularly interested in Melbourne and Sydney until I found out Melbourne has a team called Snakebusters whose job it is to remove snakes from places like bookstores (where I am likely to be found) and that Sydney has venomous spiders, found "up a shirtsleeve and under a pillow." You'd think wildlife would keep out of urban areas but no.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Worst narrative choice ever.

Please name the book that I may avoid it!
  16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Have 3 out now from the library (not including a massive America's Test Kitchen cookbook). 1. The Bone Season - not sure I'll commit to a 7 book series. 2. Quarantine (looked good) "An eloquent and dramatic portrait of a city plagued by mysterious pestilence—as the isolation of the quarantine reveals the darker side of human nature." We'll see how eloquent it is... :D and 3. The Mourning Hours. I liked the cover. :shuffle: A girl's older brother is suspected in the death of his girlfriend.

Kindle wise, I'm finally reading The Iron King, the historical part is what George RR Martin said he based Game of Thrones on. Love it!

On hold for the Jim Henson biography (and a few others). I've pared down my reading lists lately. I had stress over so many unread books.:lol:
  17. immoimeme

That cookbook only has few gd recipes in it. I checked it out twice to go over it with a fine toothed ah, fork. But the illustrations are v helpful esp the one about croissants.
  18. PrincessLeppard

I've continued to slog through because the plot is interesting. It's called Pure. I'm sure a lot of the scenes were written with the movie in mind, and at least that won't be in present tense. :p

I would consider adding it to the reading list in my Dystopian Lit class if it weren't for the point of view. Oh, well.
  19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Can you share the existing reading list? It's not a genre I'm all that familiar with and I'd like to expand my reading horizons :)
  20. PrincessLeppard

Sure. :)

The assigned books are 1984, Fatherland by Robert Harris, The Handmaid's Tale, Children of Men (movie and book - the two are very different but both excellent) and Jennifer Government by Max Barry.

They also have to read one on their own. Some of the books they can choose from are The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, The Giver, Matched (I hated this book, but the premise is interesting), Brave New World....there's more, but that's off the top of my head. :)
  21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, I've actually read a fair number of these! Maybe I'm more familiar with the genre than I'd realized ;) I'll try to get to Children of Men soon. Thanks!
  22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The Giver sounds familiar. Hmmmm
  23. immoimeme

Well I must say, for being poorly written and with stilted dialogue from hell, I sure am racing thru "the cocktail waitress." I dunno if it's the train wreck effect or the seemingly twisty turny plot but it's hard to put down, if not especially easy to read.
  24. immoimeme

Okay, it was the train wreck effect cause that novel turned out to be cheezy as hell. It was definitely pulp-the kind you'd find half-hidden out in grandpa's workshed lol.
  25. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

For the extra booknerdy, Eleanor Catton just won the Booker Prize for her 2nd novel, The Luminaries. At 26 years old, she's the youngest winner ever. And at 850-ish pages, it's the longest book to win.
  26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

spinner, i was hoping i'd find you here

any word on the goldfinch yet?
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It's a great book and a quick read.

I'm so devastated about what they're doing to the movie. Taylor Swift?! :fragile:

I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book (late, I know) which I am enjoying far more than I thought. Love the show and I thought I'd be bored by the book because I already know everything that's going to happen in the first few, but so far that's not the case :D
  29. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I have the advanced copy, but have yet to read it. I've had a lot of other advances I wanted to get through. I plan on starting it this weekend. It hits stores Tuesday and I haven't heard one person say anything but glowing things about it.
  30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Wait. What?!
  31. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon - Brad Stone
  32. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

33. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Oh, gee, I hated "The Giver" with a passion. Too dreary for words and the non-ending drove me up a wall and off the cliff. So I won't bother with movie, no matter who's in it, but Swift and Holmes sound terrible.

I was sick all weekend and did nothing but read drivel: finished up Sharan Newman's "To Wear a White Cloak" and "Every Trick in the Book" by Lucy Arlington - which was a decent cozy mystery set around a novel-writing convention. I struggled through the Christan mystery "Storm over Coronado" that I bought in San Diego and found it weak on mystery and heavy on the Bible-thumping (God will send you a clue if you just ask, don't you know?) and probably won't bother with second one. That will teach me to buy unknown books on the fly! And now I'm into "White Murder" by David Wishart, a Roman mystery about chariot racers narrated by a protagonist who sounds like Sam Spade transported to Ancient Rome. Some of the anachronistic slang is jarring, but the plot's decent and there certainly are enough suspects to keep me guessing whodunnit.

I also sorted out my TBR shelf for the near future so I won't have to go hunting very far for the next book to read.
  34. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

2 new books picked up at the library today. The Jim Henson biography came in, excited about it. Back cover is Jim with Muppets, should have seen the librarian's double take. :lol: The other is promising - The Thinking Woman's Guide to Magic. She's a grad student, recently dumped by her long time BF who walks down the wrong path and into a different dimension. So far, it's part Alice in Wonderland and part Bridget Jones.

Last night, :saint: son and his friends grabbed a book and started tossing questions out like "The first thing your mother said to you today" or "What caused your death" and then read the first sentence on a random page of the book. Was pretty funny at times. I might do that at work...
  35. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I went to town and bought four books this weekend:

a Spirou comic, Aventure en Australie, by Tome & Janry. It isn't their best work.

Animals Real and Imagined by Terryl Whitlatch, a world-leading creature designer and artist. An excellent source of inspiration and references.

Nordiska Väsen by Johan Egerkrans, a gorgeous book about the various supernatural critters in the Nordic countries, like trolls, giants, faeries, gnomes, and various other oddities that don't have any counterparts elsewhere. I'm only halfway through it, but loving it so far. :)

Death of the Family, a New 52 hardback trade about the Joker's return to Gotham. I haven't read it yet, and I haven't read anything else from this New 52 stuff, but the main bulk of the DC trades I own are stories pertaining to the Joker, so of course I had to check this one out. I just hope it's good, 'cos it was bloody expensive! :lol:

I also wanted to buy a book called Taxidermy, which looked awesome, but I decided I'd better wait until my next paycheck comes in... :shuffle:
  36. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Just got the new Elizabeth George. 720 pages. Hope it's good. Otherwise it's used as a doorstop.
  37. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm about 300 pp into it. Some good parts, and so far better than the previous 3 books ... but it's not keeping me up late reading it.
  38. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

39. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

thanks!
  40. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm catching up, having just discovered her books this summer. In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner is waiting to be read.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.