New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

According to my news station, it was one of the Newspapers that investigated - the Sunday Times? Who knows. Your suspicion is just as valid.

2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It wasn't so much the reference, but the fact that he was so wrong on that one and he went on about it for something like a page and a half. :rolleyes:

And if it had just been Reacher, it might have been okay, because one wouldn't expect Reacher to be up on technology. But in this case, the other people with him should have been all over Google and it was glaringly weird that they were not. And too, too convenient that they found the record in a store right away in spite of the record being rare--although I thought that whole story was a setup for a joke.

I saw the Jack Reacher movie a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't as hard to take Tom Cruise as I expected, mostly because he was so entirely different from my mental image of Reacher--not just in terms of his size, but in just about every way--that I just kind of stopped thinking about the books altogether. The opening scenes feature Reacher walking around buying clothes at Goodwill while women cast him overtly lustful looks, which is just not how I see Reacher at all, and it went from there. I just didn't think about the books; it probably helps that I read One Shot several yeas ago and only dimly remembered the plot.

So, it wasn't bad at all, really. My husband observed that the older Tom gets, the more he looks like Dustin Hoffman, which cracked me up because there are some scenes where he does indeed look pretty Rainman-ish.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yeah, reading them all in a row like this, the patterns become a bit tedious - I know more about guns than I ever needed to know! I was also getting tired of the guesses based on complicated logic - like in One Shot when they decided who the real target was among the 5 people shot - but then in the kidnapping book, he was proven wrong so many times and I thought maybe Child was responding to criticism.

But I'm still enjoying them for the most part and will press on :) I like Reacher, most of the other characters he works with are well drawn, he's cut back on the truly disgusting stuff that filled the first few books, and the writing is suspenseful enough for a lazy Sunday and bedtime reading.

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Child seems kind of conflicted on just how much of a Superman he wants Reacher to be. In general, I like the first-person books better than the third-person books because Reacher doesn't constantly go on about how awesome he is in his own head, whereas in the third-person books, part of the point of the narrative change seems to be that everyone else is just so darned impressed with him.

Child makes a cameo appearance in the movie, BTW, although I didn't realize it until I saw the credits.

You will have to let us know what you think of #12. :lol:

5. Nan

Nan Just me

6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

NPR interviewed the Sunday Times writer. He said he realized quickly it wasn't a 'new' author and called the publisher asking for an interview and was turned down. Then he gave them his suspicions and heard nothing. Then a tweet went out. He thinks the tweet was from Rowling. I think she's too rich to care. :p

I've read the first chapter and it's pretty good. The woman can write an amazing book, so I'll be getting on my library list too (when they finally get around to ordering it)...

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I like this, either, and he's a bit old to play the younger Jamie. But OTOH, I can't think of a better option - as one blogger once wrote (jokingly!):
    :rofl:

I guess if Gabaldon approves then he must be an appropriate choice for Jamie.

I think Claire might actually be the tougher role to cast; she's a pretty unconventional character and would be tough to really get right.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm now on Hanging Hill by Mo Hayder. it has an interesting enough start, although it's set up in a way that it may be similar to an episode of Criminal Minds - you (almost) know the killer right off the bat, and the story is in both the HOW and the journey taken by people affected by the crime. I am hoping that's not it, though, because the person being set up as the incredibly likely killer is so OTT awful, and one of the characters we're supposed to be invested in is being set up as completely pathetic, that it's hard to imagine caring for 300-ish pages.

9. Nan

Nan Just me

Thanks for the blog link, Zemgirl. Funny!! :lol:

(btw, I fall in the "love it" camp)

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh I LIKE serious literature, immensely. Just because it's a bit more effort doesn't mean it's not fun, just a different kind of fun. :)

Exactly. I wish though, I could read this book without knowing it was written by her. Now I will be looking for the hallmark JKR writing problems.
    OMG, awesome! :cheer2:

11. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Dropped off 2 books at the library tonight and had someone nice check my holds (14 at the moment). Seems despite my being #1 in the queue for 10 books, 4 have come in, gone on the shelf and then gone out for another month to someone who's not even in the queue. :wall: Lady said "well, some of us just don't see the 'hold' request." She was going to make some calls tonight on 3 of the books that have been overdue for weeks. I'll be going back tomorrow night with a printed list of what I've got on hold - I have the feeling that some are shelved. There's no way that some of them can be out for 4 months, they're not THAT popular.

In other news "The Fault in Our Stars" is $3.99 on Kindle today. It was $10. It's now mine, along with 3 others that I wanted. :shuffle:

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I didn't read JKR's first non-Potter book (although it's sitting in the bookshelf) and it's a little disconcerting to read her liberal use of swear words. HP it's not. :lol: There are bits of humor, but still not as much as in HP. She needs to remember that was one of the best parts of HP. But, the story is interesting and well written.

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I am definitely in "women write about WWII" mode this summer. I'm currently engrossed in vol. 2 of Hocking's "Good Daughters" trilogy. Also, Transit by Anna Seghers and The Exiles Return by Elisabeth de Waal arrived today. I will probably alternate these with different periods/genres, though.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, her humor, great sense of dialog and the intricacy of detail of HP world were key to her success IMO and not the well-crafted prose. I too skipped her first non-HP book after it got Kakutanied.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Kakutanied?...

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm hoping someone here gets an advance copy of the goldfinch. i cant wait. i hope it doesnt end up letting me down like the little friend.

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Reading Life after Life right now and really enjoying it.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

^^Awesome, isn't it?

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I loved that book - it was really hard to get into at the beginning, but I finished and wanted to start again.

Just finished "A Fatal Grace" by Louise Penny last night. I liked "Still Life" better. Looks like she stays in Three Pines for the next few books in the series.

My library's closed again, this time for AC issues. Guess it's good that it's not the gas line again? I wonder if the library's cursed since I joined it? :shuffle:

21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I just finished Hugh Howey's Wool Omnimbus- bought it at 7 last night and finished it at 2 this afternoon- all 508 pages of it. Great dystopian SF page turner, and proof that self-published does not always mean bad writing. Ridley Scott has the movie rights, and I can see it making a great movie. I especially like the title "Wool" because it seems fitting on several levels. It was shelved at Chapters in the fiction section, which is where they always seem to put SF once it becomes a best-seller- out of the ghetto, I suppose.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

it is so hot here, i wanted to reread something as i have brain fever and cant tax myself. i dug out the charm school by nelson demille and i think it was even better than i remembered it.

23. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I love that book. I'm glad it wasn't made into a movie and ruined.

24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

After "Jamaica Inn" I'm swearing off DeMaurier forever. Even as pure Gothic, it was lame. I'm now onto the cloying drivel that is "Freinds, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. These were part of a buck-a-bag haul I got at a church sale; I picked up every cassette audio they had. Unfortunately, my ancient car is dying and will probably be replaced before I get through all the tapes.

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

See, I had the opposite experience - confused at the beginning, LOVED the middle, then was a little bored by the end - but I loved the last chapter, so that helped. It was a good read overall. I feel like I didn't totally get it though.

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I almost swore off her after reading "Don't Look Now." Scared the CRAP out of me (and I hear the movie is even scarier). But I still like some of her other stuff. Loved The Scapegoat, which I read a few months ago.

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Finished "The Girls of Atomic City". I didn't love it. I barely liked it by the end. Author decided to jump from character to character, and had random chapters in between about the Manhattan Project and scientists working on it. Seemed like too much material for the book.

Library still closed. Locked up waiting for me are "The Son" and "A Treacherous Paradise". And there may be another in their overstuffed book drop box - both were so full today I couldn't get a book in there...

28. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

If the movie is the one with Donald Sutherland, it is VERY creepy. I watched in from Netflix not too awfully long ago. The ending. . . oh, my goodness. I didn't realize it was based on a DuMaurier work. I'm sure it was in the credits, but I didn't notice.

29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yes, it is -- so I hear. I'm far too chicken to watch it. :yikes:

30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'd never heard of either the book or film Don't Look Now - sounds intriguing. (aslo - it's so hard to remember that Donald Sutherland was ever young!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.