New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Were you people just going to go on and on and on and on? Sort of like serials that should have ended 6 books back?

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

EDIT:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

From Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free ebooks.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident...alflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

36 Reasons Why We Will Miss Bookstores

EDIT2: via Twitter...

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread, rfisher. :) It's a dirty job...... I just assumed it would be Prancer who did it. :)

I now have the audio of Elizabeth Peters' "Borrower of the Night" going in my car. Even though it was written in 1973 - and somewhat reflects the "Battle of the Sexes" attitudes of the times, I still find it hilarious. Vicky Bliss is probably my favorite character in popular literature. I've read the entire series several times and enjoy it every time.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I don't usually recommend political memoirs but this one sounds like a must read. "This Boy: A Memoir of a Childhood" by Alan Johnson. Johnson is a former British Home Secretary one of the few politicians who never completed high school. He was orphaned at 13 (or 12) and raised by his older sister.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/02/this-boy-alan-johnson-review

5. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Just finishing up Vanity Fair on Kindle for Android (so I'm reading it on my phone!). Loved the movie version (w/Reese Witherspoon as Becky) so decided to read the book. Found the free version on Amazon, which is how I wound up with the Kindle app to begin with, plus about a dozen of so other free books downloaded onto my phone.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Kind of OT, but our current finance minister never finished high school, either, and I'm not sure he know what he's doing.

My most recent read was Diana Gabaldon's The Scottish Prisoner, one of the few Outlander books/stories I had not yet read. It's not truly a standalone novel, IMO, but it's a nice addition to the series.

7. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I really like the Outlander series,I am anxiously awaiting the next book due out this Fall.

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

So glad we have a new thread, but yep, I was waiting on one of those all powerful admins to close the old one. :lol:

Still have "Ordinary Grace" to read. Have downloaded a bunch of books, another 10 on the wait list at the library, but I'm sort of in a reading rut at the moment. Must get back to reading again this weekend...

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am going to start the new Kate Atkinson Life After Life but reading about Lyme Regis and the Cobb in Persuasion got me hankering to re-read The French Lieutenant's Woman. With all due respect to Meryl Streep, she was horribly miscast in that movie, btw.

10. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I've been busy! Everything always happens all at once.

My all-time favorite Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters book is Be Buried in the Rain, but I really enjoy Vicky Bliss, too, even more than the Amelia Peabody series. I loved Crocodile on the Sandbank, but gradually lost interest after that.

I'm re-organizing all my books and have been thinking about getting rid of a lot of them. I have an awful lot of Michaels/Peters books. I can't quite bring myself to put them in the Goodwill box.

11. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I finished Ordinary Grace a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot, although parts of it were heartbreaking. I tend to favor novels with an adolescent narrator or an adolescent's point of view because I find the language much more honest and believable. I also like books set in this time period, early 60's.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Just starting a new book by an author who is new to me- recommended to me by a Finnish cousin who was visiting me last month. "Purge" by Sofia Oksanen. It's set in 1990's Estonia, and so far it's really drawing me in. Finding a new author is always a good thing.:)

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I have a wall of Can't Part With Books. MPM takes up a couple shelves. I think that when I die, I will have someone put a copy of "Street of the Five Moons" in the casket with me so I'll have something to read. :) I loved the first doesn or so of the Amelia book but once Ramses grew up and took over, I thought they went downhill. It's the archaeology I like not the spy stuff and WWI

Anybody want a copy of Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy"? I've given up on it. Life is too short to read depressing books.

14. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I am in the worse reading rut. I have one book that I am currently slugging through called The First Muslims. It's interesting. Definitely an academic book but it doesn't feel too dense. When I started, I was completely into it but it's been three weeks and I still have about 50 pages to go. I have books from the library sitting on my coffee table waiting to be read as well. They include Ghana Must Go, Wedding Night and The Golem and Jinni. All fiction and I assume lighter than what I have been reading.

15. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Just checked my library wait list. I'm first in queue for 6 books and 2nd for 3 others. :yikes:

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I read that a couple of years ago. It was intense. I'll be interested to know what you think of the ending.

ETA I'll be going from Gothic into noir - this afternoon I bought The Big Sleep and Jim Thompson's A Hell of a Woman and A Swell-Looking Babe. I turned Roommate onto Thompson with The Grifters, so we'll both enjoy them.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The Casual Vacancy is a book of Dursleys. I eye-rolled at all the negative reviews it received at first, especially since most of them were comparing an adult contemporary fiction to YA fantasy, and said it's only because they're mad because it's not Harry Potter! :mitchell: And I maintain it's not fair to compare it to Harry Potter, because Harry Potter is good. This was bad on all levels--hackneyed plot, cliched, cynicism without wisdom, black without the humor. I'm sometimes in the mood for a depressing book. I'm never in the mood for a bad book. If she had written this first, it would never have been published.

I'm reading Where'd You Go Bernadette. It's very clever and snarky and bitchy. I feel like I'm in a Bravo show. So far, it's borderline fabulous, but I don't know if I'll like a whole book of it.

19. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I bought Jim Gaffigan's book Dad is Fat for my brother and it came in the mail today. He's out of town so I'm going to read it first :D

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I found an article on the BBC website that reads like a cheap supermarket detective novel but unfortunately it is all true. A young girl is horribly murdered and the local PD is either too incompetent or corrupt to solve the case. But a middle aged local woman, unemployed, unskilled and newly devorced decided to solve the case herself. To do so she seeks help and advice from a veteran BBC journalist. Together they do what the police could not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19558804

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That article was an amazing read, Buzz, thank you so much!

22. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Agreed! Also, thanks for starting the new thread, rfisher!

I've been reading The Book Thief but it's slow going, maybe because the subject matter is so serious.

23. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I adored The Book Thief. I could barely put it down.

24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Loved it too! Started it and could not put it down. I appreciate a well written book that doesn't toss red herring murderers at you. And the interactions between Frank and Jack were so well written. Only quibble - I wish it was longer! I didn't want it to end.

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Buzz, this is the world that my mother left, so many years ago.
    She "escaped" to New York City, where she met my father.
    I can't imagine the life she would have had if she had remained in small-town Kentucky!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  26. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Me too. That is an amazing book.

27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Fascinating read, Buzz. I remember hearing just a little bit about that case on the news here. I'm in Central Kentucky, but Mayfield is in the extreme western end of the state. I'm almost positive I was in Mayfield once when I was in college in the mid 1990's, I remember thinking it was a pretty little town.

Of course as someone raised in small town Kentucky, I know small towns can hide A LOT of corruption.

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I loved that one. The author wrote for Arrested Development.

I may pick up the Book Thief again, I suppose. Tried to read it once and couldn't get into it, so I guess I shall try again.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

im reading the autobiography of elsa schiaparelli "shocking life" in part because she was a very interesting woman and in part because the cover is fuchsia and i thought it would look amazing on my coffee table. anyway, it's interesting, particularly the wartime years, but not exactly a deep soul searching autobiography.

30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Fuchsia or the color famously known as 'Schiaparelli Pink'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.