New Australian Pattern Tests

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 10, 2012.

1. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 Member

I am shocked that OWI does not provide funding for Dani and Greg, they are the only skaters who have done what is needed to hopefully get a shot at Olympics! Do you know what the criteria is to get funding from OWI and how much is available.

I agree with ozskatemom regarding the scholarship I think there is a great diversity in who has been given the scholarship, the only people who appear to have abused it are the Queensland Dance team. Is anyone able to explain who decides who gets the scholarship? Also yes who is on ISA now I know there was an AGM in April but there has never been any news or minutes posted as to the changes, it strikes me that there is quite a lot of conflict within ISA.

2. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

OK, sorry Oz-sk8ing-mum. However you still put your forms in for scholarships and they were shortlisted even though you knew that Maggie was quitting pair.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Top skaters all over the world manage school work and much more with their skating, some even manage to start their own family at the same time.
    Anyone who tells you that leaving school to skate full time is needed is not thinking in your best interest.
    Majority of skaters who do do this end up being overwhelmed by the sport and lose their love for it. Not to mention lose all the benefits of going to school with other kids as well.

You are right though, skaters need to experience training over seas, and THAT is what the ISA scholarship was all about when it first started. It was about giving skaters who DO NOT have the finances/opportunities to train over seas the chance to do so. Thats why people like our top dance team aren't looked at for it because they are already overseas training.

In most cases bar one or two instances the recipients of ISA scholarships have used their money for the intended purpose. The program certainly isn't a joke.

On that note, you may be talking about a OWI scholarship, in which case i can't comment because I really don't know what I am talking about there.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Isn't using someone's name a breach of forum rules?

5. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Good luck enforcing that one when this forum is based on talking about skaters and their coaches etc

6. Aussie Willy

Yep that is why there are moderators of this forum.

7. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Either way we are supposed to talk about the pattern tests in here...

8. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Hi there. You don't know me but I know you. I approved your registration yesterday or the day before. Already 50 posts, I'm glad you're finding our board so interesting.

As a new poster, though, there's a few things you need to know.

There is a difference between talking about coaches and skaters because of what they do, and posting FSU members' real names on the board. As in, talking about Michelle Kwan, the famous skater, is all of course allowed, saying the poster by the user name of XYZ is Michelle Kwan would be against the rules (that was just an example, MK has nothing to do with it). Only the member herself/himself has the right to reveal their real name, if they so wish. You have the right to reveal your own name, and that's it.

Interestingly enough, sk8ingcoach didn't see a big deal in revealing someone else's name, but hasn't provided his/her own. If no one cares, why don't you tell us your name, sk8ingcoach?

Last but not least. Sorry to disappoint but every FSU member has the right to post their opinion about anything. If you don't agree with what they have to say, you can discuss it (and prove them wrong if you think they are) or you can ignore it. You can't tell anyone to not present their opinion.

I hope this thread is not going to mimic the British skaters thread because if it does, it will meet the same fate. For those of you who are new: using FSU as a battleground for your personal issues with someone is not going to fly.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  9. sk8ingcoach

Pretty sure i edited my posts so that the names were gone. And i dont believe i told anyone that they cant present their opinion ???? so i have no idea what you're talking about there

10. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

We should be getting back on topic anyway, that being the Pattern tests...

Has anyone been to any of the pattern test days to have a look yet?

11. sk8ingcoach

I went to a test ( included patterns) last week. Went very successfully, much easier than i originally thought it would be.

Most skaters doing patterns were very low level ( elementry ). Highest level was Novice doing a pattern and i believe he/she failed the loop-twizzle pattern

12. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Seems to match with the observations i made in my original post about these patterns...
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3602525&postcount=62

13. sk8ingcoach

I was also present for the pattern camp in queensland and for the filming

I agree with your comment that Lochran was woeful. Although lochran is a senior level dancer, he is also a senior level syncro, so i did not expect his turns to be good, even for the novice pattern

However the other senior skaters ( kranjec, Dodds ) were absolutely great at ALL the patterns. It took an hour to get through the novice because there was so much arguing amongst coaches and judges about silly things like where your free leg should be on different turns. Also that the senior skaters were learning the patterns on the day ( except for senior pattern ) which took a little extra time.

Although the Novice boy failed his test the other week, i do believe that the difficulty of the novice pattern is set correctly. Last week a was teaching one of my students ( who has just moved to novice this year) the novice patterns and she was really good. Her turns clearly showed that she is novice level. The young boy who went for his novice was not ready and is still IMO a primary level skater

14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

As misskarne explained, she absolutely does have the right of way at certain times in the session. This has nothing to do with her level of skating, and everything to do with the "rules of the road".

The skater whose music is being played always has right of way, whether that skater is age 5 "learn to skate", or senior level ladies. So yes, Ksenia Makarova had to give way to my five year old daughter when they were both on the same session, if my daughter was on music in her lesson. That's how it works.

In general, the right of way rules work like this:
    1. on music in a lesson
    2. on music, not in a lesson
    3. in a lesson, without music (I've seen rinks reverse #2 and #3)
    4. not in a lesson

More advanced skaters must watch out for lower-level skaters.

15. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

These being relatively new tests a lot of coaches don't yet understand the standard required to pass yet. So we are likely to see skaters who are not yet capable of passing the tests going for them. The system was designed for the testing to be very strict, and people aren't used to that in Australian tests yet.

16. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Yes, with a comment "Used Oz_sk8ing_mum's real name ???? who cares" so I was happy to explain.

I was talking about the beginning of this thread.

So it wasn't "HOW DARE YOU criticize high level skaters?!" but "I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to my death your right to say it" type of thing? My bad then. Must be an Australian version. ;)

BTW, anyone with an account can criticize high level skaters. Welcome to a message board. And if you take offense to someone merely saying that their standards wasn't high enough, better buckle up. Or avoid message boards altogether. This is the kind of talk that you should be giving to your students. I guess I'm just surprised that you needed to have it explained to you.

17. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Well that was entertaining hahahaha:lol::lol:

18. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

Oh Sk8Coach ...
    But as you open your mouth to change feet once again you just prove that your knowledge is very limited. I love it :lol:

The reason Maggie and Callum were short listed is because THEY withdrew their application after had an interview and they realise they were in the running.

Fancy that! Your knowledge has just been increased.

19. Aussie Willy

Windspirit - your contributions to this thread are much appreciated. :)

The other thing is if some of these people who are posting are involved in either judging, technical panels or coaching in Australia, some of these posts would definately go against the code of ethics for those roles. It doesn't matter if you are under a moniker on this forum, it really isn't proper behaviour if you are in those roles. And being in writing it can be quoted and kept.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  20. sk8ingcoach

Yes, people can criticise skaters as much as they like. I just find it funny that a mother who doesnt know anything about high level skaters as she doesnt have a high level skater as a child can criticise them so much.

SO now that we have gone off topic again, can we go back to actually talking about the pattern tests like Me and Austechspec were

21. sk8ingcoach

I think the coaches do have a good understanding about what standard the skater should be at. But like always, there are always going to be skaters who do their test who aren't ready.

22. Aussie Willy

So you are at it again. :rolleyes: Quit with the personal comments. They are not appropriate and are not related to the topic that you claim that you want to talk about. I would expect more professionalism coming from a coach.

23. sk8ingcoach

Im allowed to say anything i want apparently, as long as i dont say anyones name. now can we get back on topic name like ive tried to do twice now

24. Aussie Willy

Maybe you should read this line from Windspirit.

I am actually the one who started this thread. Keep making personal digs about other posters and I will ask for it to be shut down.

25. sk8ingcoach

I dont have any personal issues with anyone, i was just stating my opinion.

If u want to shut down the thread, then do it ??? but as ive tried to get back on topic 3 times now, you are the one that keeps commenting on unrelated things.

26. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

I had the same problem, when everyone was getting offended about my misinterpreted comments on adult skating I tried multiple times to get back to the topic only to be hindered by Aussie Willy,,, who also went so far as to find posts of mine in other threads and bring up the same argument there....

We all just need to give it a rest... myself included...

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Oz_sk8ting_mum

You know what AusTech.

Its sad that this is the way the world now see's Australian Coaches. Sk8Coach is unbelievable in that they have tried to threaten, tried to belittle and has just generally continued to be nasty with "My Opinion". Even though the rest of world could very clearly understand and agreed with my comments that Aussies need work on edges ... which I still stand by... but Sk8coach continues to hang on like a Pit Bull.

I hope the thread gets closed down because it's an embarresment to our country :(

28. sk8ingcoach

I have not threatened anyone

And if you want to talk about embarrassing our country, then perhaps we should mention the pair results from jgp's last year :eek:

so lets stop nagging on about things that were said ages ago... can we go back to what this topic is about

29. Oz_sk8ting_mum

You see ... all Charm!!
    Do you feel better now ... belittling kids who are working hard to achieve ... Just look at the Pairs JGP results, then move on to Junior worlds ... ISU TES Score in the Freeskate .. very nice improvement. Do you think these two kids set out to win? What is your goal here, just to run people down because your doing a great job! Well done.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  30. sk8ingcoach

:saint: