New Anne Frank movie on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. nalgene

nalgene New Member

I didn't watch the PBS broadcast but I can't get over how much editing must have gone on to get this to run under two hours. I watched the original BBC five-part series and it is listed in IMDB with a run time of 150 minutes!

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

What it ever finally determined who told the authorities about the families hiding in the annex? I know there had been a lot of theories over the years but just wondering if the full story ever came out.

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I really couldn't stand Mrs Van Daan and have to wonder if she was really that way in real life or if she was more understanding and grateful to the Franks for giving her family a place to hide.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Maybe that was it. All the other versions I've seen of this have been longer than two hours - anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to four hours. I like the 2001 version mainly 'cause it also deals with the Franks' family life before they went into hiding and their ordeal in the camps after they were betrayed.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Really?? I know PBS edits most of their movies, but I didn't know it had been edited as much as that. Wow.

I didn't recognize Felicity Jones (Margot) at all -- even forgot I'd seen her name in the advertising -- although I had really liked her in Northanger Abbey. She did a terrific job.

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't know Margot also kept a diary! What a shame it was lost.

8. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

AFAIK, No. They still do not know who outted the families.

---------------

I'm really sad I missed this. Me and my mom discovered it was on when it was over :(

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw the Definitive Version today at Barnes and Noble for only $7.00 Is this the best version to buy? I don't want to buy the version that was mentioned earlier in the thread where it has multiple editions in one. I just would like to own the diary but have it be as complete as possible, with nothing edited or left out. I almost bought it but put it back on the shelf to come here and make sure it was the right one to get. Can anyone help?

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^Yes, this is the version with the extra passages. The one with the multiple versions is called The Critical Edition. I remember getting it out of the library once, the book was so thick it would have made a good doorstop.